New owner

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
I'm an new owner of a male senegal parrot which i named oscar. I love all animals. I'm in Pa. :rainbow1: I've wanted a bird for awhile and my husband finally said yes. Oscar talks a little bit. I got him from a guy who didn't have much time for him anymore. He'll be spoiled here. I'm in the process of mixing his seeds and pellets. The previous owner only had him on seeds. No cuttlebone but he has 1 now which he hasn't touched. I shaved some into his food. His cage was pretty funky but i cleaned it up good. He a funny lil guy. I sat down by his cage to eat monday and he started clicking his tongue. I tried a carrot that was a no go, he wanted one of my fries. I gave him kale and carrots which he threw on the floor. I hope he gets into eating fresh veggies sometime. I know it'll take some time before he'll perch on my finger. I want to be able to sit him on top of his cage. He has a perch there. It takes time i know. He likes to dance for us when we talk to him. I play bird videos for him on youtube, he watches. Of course he likes peanuts(once in awhile). Well i just wanted to introduce oscar and i. Thats his story. Thanks

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new sennie. I love watching their eyes when they pin them. I have a red belly female which is in the same poi familly.:)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Welcome! I'm from PA too. Congrats on getting Oscar! I'm so glad to hear things are going well with you too. As far as veggies go- good luck, I've had my new RFM for almost a year now and she still won't touch any. parrots will be parrots... aka stubborn.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Yes he's doing well so far. I can't wait to get him out of the cage. The guy said give a month. He's talking already so thats good. I always talk to him when i go by his cage.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
A month is a bit long, IMO. I never gave my RFM time to settle as we spent a whole 4 hour car ride home with her out on my lap, however, most people on the forum seem to give their birds 3 days, 1 week, or 2 weeks, but I've never heard of locking a bird in a cage for month. I'm sure he will let you know when he is ready for you to let him out. It's really nice to hear a new parrot owner with a positive experience joining. Most people join because they have a new parrot and are over whelmed, but you're doing a great job!

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
I think he meant a month before he totally gets used to us. He said it took him about 2 weeks before he'd get on his finger. I figured i'd join awhile.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Oh whew lol. Well, stay a while. It's a great pace to tell stories and give or get advice :)

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Heres a pic of him.

2wdnhmt.jpg

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I love the little yellow tuxedo vest he has going on

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
Congratulations on your new bird! Sounds like it is going pretty well so far. Keep trying different foods and don't give up on foods just because he refuses one time or even a bunch of times. Try taking a bite yourself and showing him how yummy the food is--this often works. I wouldn't put a timeline on handling him--let his behavior be your guide. Both of our birds were handled immediately and wanted attention and comfort (but they were babies when we got them too). You will be able to tell when your bird starts to trust you and wants some attention--and when it doesn't.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
I know the previous owner wasn't spending enough time with him. It's a good sign he talks to us and dances for us right? How will I know he's ready to come out? I'll keep putting fresh foods in. He ate a few bites of banana last night.

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
I know the previous owner wasn't spending enough time with him. It's a good sign he talks to us and dances for us right? How will I know he's ready to come out? I'll keep putting fresh foods in. He ate a few bites of banana last night.

I would leave his cage door open and do some work or watch tv or anything around him as much as possible. He'll come out when he's ready, curiosity usually gets the best of them, it's just a matter of when :]

By the way, he's beautiful. I really like the yellow streaks he's got on his chest!

Also, try the stocks of lettuce (not iceberg), mashed banana or pomegranate seeds. These seem to be Casper's favorites.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Welcome to the world of Senegal companionship! Be prepared for mischief, mood swings and fun!

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot

I would leave his cage door open and do some work or watch tv or anything around him as much as possible. He'll come out when he's ready, curiosity usually gets the best of them, it's just a matter of when :]

By the way, he's beautiful. I really like the yellow streaks he's got on his chest!

Also, try the stocks of lettuce (not iceberg), mashed banana or pomegranate seeds. These seem to be Casper's favorites.

I think theres a pom here and he did eat some banana last night. He did sorta fly(wings clipped) when we brought him home. I had the door open to put something in and out he went. He was trying to fly. I wanna be able to let him perch on my finger and then i can also put him on top is his cage. The previous owner said he liked hanging out up there.

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Its a little bit of orange too but my phone camera picked up on the yellow more. Thanks, he is a pretty lil guy.

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
I think theres a pom here and he did eat some banana last night. He did sorta fly(wings clipped) when we brought him home. I had the door open to put something in and out he went. He was trying to fly. I wanna be able to let him perch on my finger and then i can also put him on top is his cage. The previous owner said he liked hanging out up there.

That's so funny, Casper did the same thing! I was walking him in from the car after the 4 hour drive to get him, and he took off over my neighbors house. I ran over to their backyard and didn't see him anywhere and was like "Did that really just happen? He's gone.." until I heard a little squawk in the bushes. Good things his wings were still slightly clipped or he would've been long gone!

OP
O

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
Ha ha I opened his door and a minute later he was climbing onto his door then to the top. Thanks for the tip. Now it's getting him to trust and perch on my finger/shoulder. We drove almost 2hours for him.

Most Reactions