New parent

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'm with Anansi, nothing works better for us then a firm "no" and then ignoring Pazu for a few minutes (or when very bad, being put in the cage and covered for 5 min). She's rarely ever done anything so bad that I've put her away like that besides any and all indications that she'd bite mine or anyone else's face.

StChelle

Apr 4, 2017
Louisiana
Parrots
Male Galah named Valentine; male red-sided Eclectus named Harlequin "Harley"; female red-sided Eclectus named Petra
I'm with Anansi, nothing works better for us then a firm "no" and then ignoring Pazu for a few minutes (or when very bad, being put in the cage and covered for 5 min). She's rarely ever done anything so bad that I've put her away like that besides any and all indications that she'd bite mine or anyone else's face.

That works for my galah lol but he is social. My problem with Harley was that he wanted to be left alone. Gently holding his beak saying "no bite" when he starts to bite down and removing his beak while keeping him in my arm shows him he can't get his way by biting me. Really making progress. Sounded a bit like she is having trouble getting her out of the cage which was also my problem. Really comes down to why they are biting I guess 😀

OP
A

Amlamb

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus
Blue fronted amazon
Correct, she would rather just be left alone. Yesterday was one week. I'm leaving the door open and when she comes to the bottom of the cage, I sit with her and let her play with my fingers. I am afraid she may have started plucking though.

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
Correct, she would rather just be left alone. Yesterday was one week. I'm leaving the door open and when she comes to the bottom of the cage, I sit with her and let her play with my fingers. I am afraid she may have started plucking though.

are you finding feathers around? if so, check the ends of them -- look for blood on the ends or a chewed look. if they look smooth and clean, kinda like a quill pen, it's probably normal molting.

have you bathed her at all? i'm guessing you'd want to go with a misting spray-bottle for now. she'll need regular baths or she'll get all itchy.

there are tons of good threads on here about both plucking and bathing, too. hope this helps for now though. :)

Most Reactions