New parrot owner

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
Hello, i am a new parrot owner

Would like to know more about my bird and if anyone has the same parrot as me and how i can train them.
Ive got a hispanolian parrot

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Welcome to you both! Here are many Amazon owners but I've never Heard about anyone who Has exactly this species [emoji846]

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome! To you! To post a pic click go advanced button under text box and paperclip one!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome to you and your parrot! Would love to hear more..and we love pictures too!

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Parrot Forum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

You have a very special 'Island' Amazon species! They are, to say the least, rare outside of their Island Range... As a result of hurricanes their numbers have been greatly reduced and are Classified as CITES 1. If your Amazon is less than three years old, you must have Hatch Documents from your Breeder /Pet Store. This is a must have item.

IMHO, I would strongly recommend that you have your 'Amazona ventralis' microchipped for assurance of proof of ownership of this very rare Amazon Species (Hispaniola Amazon).

Developing a Relationship with your Amazon is much the same as with all Amazons. Reading the two Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum!

FYI: Just how old is your Amazon?

Sadly, you are likely not going to find many individuals that have a like Amazon, but the small to medium size Amazon will have like personalities and behaviors.

Amazons Have More Fun!

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
Thank you guys!
One of my family members had given me their parrot, i don't know the gender or age but they estimated around 18 yrs old. Shes pretty old but i do love him/her she barks like a dog and also says "cuca" in spanish too cute!
I will post a pic soon when i figure this out!

I have a question about the feather loss and want to know more info about this bird!
where can i ask? New to this!

OP
A

Angiemaima6

Feb 25, 2020
Heres a picture of my parrot!
I have a a couple of questions about her feathers.

Attachments

• 20200227_074432.jpg
    20200227_074432.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 73

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you guys!
One of my family members had given me their parrot, i don't know the gender or age but they estimated around 18 yrs old. Shes pretty old but i do love him/her she barks like a dog and also says "cuca" in spanish too cute!
I will post a pic soon when i figure this out!

I have a question about the feather loss and want to know more info about this bird!
where can i ask? New to this!

Because of the Status of your Amazon, I strongly recommend that you obtain a simple document from your family member that 'gifted' this Parrot to you and that it includes the estimated age. Hand written is acceptable. It being Notarized by a branch manager at your local Bank would be even better.

I recommend that you ask your family member if they have every taken this Amazon to a Vet. If the answer is yes, please ask them to provide a letter to the Vet to allow your Avian Professional to receive what documents that clinic has on file.

Please set up a 'New' Parrot physical examination ASAP! As part of that examination, that needs to include a full spectrum blood testing. Also, include a DNA sex test and the placement of a microchip for identification.

Regarding your Amazon's feather loss! It is possible that it is based on Stress. After all your sweet Amazon has just lost its wonderful home and is now in a new home with new Humans! That is a very stressful change for your Amazon.

In addition, it is not totally unusual for a 'female' Amazon to pick feathers on the lower chest to form a nest and for keeping an egg warm. (Hence the want to know the sex of your Amazon as it is also important in defining 'her' diet.

And, just as likely that s/he is Plucking... See above regarding Stress, a new home, low Humidity (dry skin) or possible a diet issue.)

Hence, support for setting that Avian Professional visit ASAP!

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Welcome to the Parrot Forum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

You have a very special 'Island' Amazon species! They are, to say the least, rare outside of their Island Range... As a result of hurricanes their numbers have been greatly reduced and are Classified as CITES 1. If your Amazon is less than three years old, you must have Hatch Documents from your Breeder /Pet Store. This is a must have item.

IMHO, I would strongly recommend that you have your 'Amazona ventralis' microchipped for assurance of proof of ownership of this very rare Amazon Species (Hispaniola Amazon).

Developing a Relationship with your Amazon is much the same as with all Amazons. Reading the two Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum!

FYI: Just how old is your Amazon?

Sadly, you are likely not going to find many individuals that have a like Amazon, but the small to medium size Amazon will have like personalities and behaviors.

Amazons Have More Fun!

I still haven’t gone back to my bird “store” to inquire about YNA Archie. Will do on Monday or Tuesday, depending on how much I drink this weekend.

What do I say/do if I encounter any resistance or BS to getting my CITES? The bird cost a FORTUNE, and there’s no way I’m going to pay additional $ for this.

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
I love watching and learning new training tips. From BirdTricks on Youtube, they have awesome videos and even a cook book for your parrots diet (awesome chop recipes too)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!

I hope you'll enjoy your membership. Many Amazon aficionados here!

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts