New rescue U2... Advice appreciated.

LuvJardines

Sep 6, 2015
Media
Illinois
Parrots
Jardine, U2
Hi all you experienced pArrot friends, after a long process we were approved by a rescue and adopted a 14yo Umbrella-female. She was described as an unusually stable, independent U2...and I guess I can see why. She doesn't scream while people are home and she's still in cage. Here my question... We are on day 5 with her and things are changing, as aspected
Day1: quiet, allowed to pet, stepped up easy.
Day2: a few deafening screams, not willing to step up off cage easily
Day3: song playing at table with us , lots of fun. A few more shouts
Day4: sat on cough with 2 dogs and me, just petting her etc..
Day 5: previous she would step on our shoulder from cage, today she gave my hubby and I both a peck? Chilling on coach, she hopped across couch on 2 different times and went after dogs just laying in couch, one dog ran and stayed away, other slept thru it.
Soooo, she's feeling more comfortable! Do I keep her on Java tree only? Do I let her run around counter with us and hang( which we enjoy )

I've showers her twice,,, she's tolerating.

I just don't want to find ourselves like one of these too stories!!

Oh yes, she knocks us with her beak often. What does that mean? Thanks for the opinions...

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
She will take longer to fully settle in but sounds like shes starting to test boundaries already. Fail and you have a too monster starting to form just like you are worried about....

The big birds like to torture dogs and cats. I would try to discourage the behavior since you never know when the dog will have had enough.

Are you just opening the door and letting her come in and out as she pleases? She needs to step up onto your hand/arm in the cage. If you back down she will know that she can get her way. Once you are more established in your relationship with her you can try letting her come in and out on her own. But you first need to setup you boundaries and do basic training with her. If she doesn't step up from on the outside of her cage she loses the privilege.

You haven't established a relationship where I would trust her on the shoulder. However, that is of course your own risk to take....I just like my face the way it is most days personally:p

She needs a schedule and rules. You both need to train and socialize her because a one person too can be an annoying scary nightmare. A schedule should be a general setup but not too strict so change doesn't make her break down..we come out at this time, go in at this time, socialize together this time, you play over there at this time....or when I put you here you are on your own no matter what time of day it is. Boundaries you are allowed to play here but you can't go there....when I tell you to step up you do it.

We have a too at the shelter that is very very sweet but shes smart and stubborn. If you back down when she is being a brat she gets the evil gleam in her eye that says she has you now. And she will still test people she knows not to but sucks up when you remind her of the point. She tested me the other month then went into full on I'm so cute mode when it didn't work. Cute/suck up mode is head planted on your chest at an angle so she can look up at you with the eyes while clicking the tongue whispering pretty bird. Seriously, don't be drawn in by the eyes...toos are evil masterminds...

How are you 'petting' her? Is she knocking the beak like this here is mine, plunking it on you asking for a head rub, or rubbing it on you? Or all of the above:p

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Congratulations on your newest addition!

In general, Toos take longer to acclimate to new surroundings. She may be feeling a little more comfortable but more than likely she is still fearful and unsure of everything. A parrot's behavior can change radically in a new home. It's great if she is a stable, independent Too at fourteen, hopefully with time and patience she will be again.

All Toos scream. They flock call in the morning and evening, they scream when they are happy and excited. They scream to let you know they are hungry or bored or lonely. There's a difference between normal vocalizations and habitual screaming. If you run to your Too every time she screams she will see it as a reward, it's fun to watch humans try too hard. Approach and praise her only when she is quiet. They can be taught to use their indoor voices instead of the wild jungle calls.

She was probably going after the dogs to protect you. I don't allow my three dogs in the room when my birds are out of their cages, I know a lot of people do and have no problems. My dogs are well trained and I trust them but so many accidents happen and when they do, they happen fast. It's your decision entirely, but please be aware of the possibilities. Toos are notorious for being unpredictable, they can be calm one minute and have an all out Too tantrum the next.

The knocking with the beak is probably to let you know she'd like to be picked up, or she's warning you that something is making her uncomfortable. After she gains more trust, you'll learn to read her body language but it can be a little confusing at first. For instance, my Too makes a clacking noise with her beak, she does it when she's really happy or she wants to play. She does the same when she has a toy or treat she doesn't want to share, in that case it's a warning to keep your distance. Another example is fluffing the feathers around her bottom beak, she does it when she meets new people, it usually means she means no harm and is willing to interact, sometimes it just means she's sleepy.

When a U2 is extremely frightened all the feathers go up, the crest opens, they lower their wings and rock side to side and even hiss. Not a good time to ask your Too to Step Up or give you a kiss. I love it when my Too displays and she knows it, she will do it with a cue from me, it's become a game, but strangers would be in harm's way if they got to close.

Be patient and have fun, her personality will start to shine.

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Each 'too is an individual and it takes time to get to know each other and learn body language and warning signs. We've had our Rocky six months and he still catches me off guard at times.

Has your girl had a stable, normal life behind her? Not a lot of upheaval and many homes and possible abuse? Because that changes the dynamic. If she's had nice home(s) before, then you can be a little more firm in laying down ground rules. Rocky was abused and we have to keep that in mind with our interactions. We don't want to trigger a fear response, which could lead to a bite, and/or make him mistrustful of us.

I would limit interactions with the dogs, as Allee suggested. Even the best-behaved dog in the world will react if a parrot bites, and 'too bites can be nasty. Either make the dogs stay on the floor when your bird is on the couch, or put them in another room. She IS testing boundaries. She's trying to figure out how she fits in and how much you'll allow and while you can't order a parrot around, you can request and reward preferred behaviors and redirect unwanted behaviors.

OP
LuvJardines

LuvJardines

Sep 6, 2015
Media
Illinois
Parrots
Jardine, U2
Thank you for all this great insight so far! I very much agree she is testing and I have to think it would be easier to set the boundaries than try to reverse a bad habit. Great advice Riddick on having her step up in the cage! I have done this and she did finally step up once I blocked her attempts to exit herself. I think I know the answer, but if we sit in a chair directly across from the cage, she will exit herself and come directly to us and step up from the floor ... .is that creating a monster? It's so easy, (right now) but....Good point on the shoulder rides... Thank you. I saw the person at the rescue doing this, and she likes it but you are soooo right!

We pet her head and neck...but we also scratch under her wing briefly. She is always lifting her wing to be scratched... Dangerous? We totally avoid back,tail, belly!

Allee...She will knock, knock with her beak when she's jumping around on our arm, lap or legs when she's hanging out on the couch with us. It's seems playful but....? I will have to be more observant what's going on when she does this.

As for the dogs,,, they got the message. They move to the other couch if I am holding her. I feel she was testing them...she kinda just beaked them, with the top of her beak, versus a charging open beak and they scattered. :). I think they have an understanding now.

Allee, we did see the fluffing lower beak feathers...so cute and thanks for the translation on that behavior.

Siobhan, from what I know she did have a nice home, with an elderly lady and other birds. I was told her previous home was loving, but didn't see a tremendous amount of attention. Her previous owner passed. She was in the rescue a few weeks. I did contact a bird club she was a member of, and they are trying to get in touch with any members who may have been close to the owner and could share some habits or other info.

When you say lay down the rules, where can I get specifics on what that looks like? Is that ignoring? Is that a stern "no"? My Jardine is very food motivated, where this U2 could put her beak up to food bribes. She just wants under her wing scratched.

Thank you for sharing your experience!!

Most Reactions