Rescued a Very Scared and Traumatized Indian Ringneck, Need Advice!!

Abu Hudhud

Jul 5, 2023

Hi guys I previously posted this thread ^^ and I did end up going to the fair today. I found no African greys but I did end up finding a very scared indian ringneck which looked very distressed and plucked a lot of its feathers out. My intention in getting another bird was to rescue one so I bought this one. It appears to be a female I believe based off what i read, since it lacks a ring (correct me if I'm wrong). As you can see in the attached pictures I gave it some fruit which she took from my hand but she is absolutely terrified of me and shakes while taking the food from me. Right now she ate a bunch of fruit and it just sitting quietly on the bottom of the cage staring at me. (Disclaimer: I will be buying her a new, big cage tonight, the little one in the pics was just to bring her home). Hoping to take her to the vet today or in the new few days as well. Any advice on how ease her fears and get her to eat and drink properly and any advice in general about taking care of indian ringnecks? I never in my life ever thought I would adopt one of these so I honestly never researched and looked into them so any advice at all will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 9925286e-d23d-44d3-8503-76d04dadfe60.JPG
    9925286e-d23d-44d3-8503-76d04dadfe60.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 69

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia

Hi guys I previously posted this thread ^^ and I did end up going to the fair today. I found no African greys but I did end up finding a very scared indian ringneck which looked very distressed and plucked a lot of its feathers out. My intention in getting another bird was to rescue one so I bought this one. It appears to be a female I believe based off what i read, since it lacks a ring (correct me if I'm wrong). As you can see in the attached pictures I gave it some fruit which she took from my hand but she is absolutely terrified of me and shakes while taking the food from me. Right now she ate a bunch of fruit and it just sitting quietly on the bottom of the cage staring at me. (Disclaimer: I will be buying her a new, big cage tonight, the little one in the pics was just to bring her home). Hoping to take her to the vet today or in the new few days as well. Any advice on how ease her fears and get her to eat and drink properly and any advice in general about taking care of indian ringnecks? I never in my life ever thought I would adopt one of these so I honestly never researched and looked into them so any advice at all will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Poor baby! I would start with both the larger cage and vet visit. Any idea how old she is? Males don't develop a ring until 18 months or older. So without knowing age I couldn't say for sure the sex.

Plucking could be from stress, disease, improper diet, lack of toys, and or a combination of all. I would get her the biggest cage I could find with bar spacing being 1/2 to 5/8 inches. Multiple wooden perches of different sizes, stainless steel bowls, and 6 or more toys especially soft ones that allow her to preen them instead of herself.

For diet I would do more vegetables than fruit. Fruit should be limited as it can produce yeast infections and it triggers hormones for breeding. I limit mine to about 10% of the diet. You will want to add grains too. There are chop recipes listed in the forum. A pellet without sugar or artificial flavors if you can get one where you are. She needs access to both food and water inside her cage at all times.

I would also mist her daily with a warm water bottle or offer her a shallow dish to bath in. Mine loves to bath and be misted.

Once you have her in her larger cage, I would talk to her and offer treats such as nuts. Go slow and give her space. She will need time to adjust. Let us know what the vet says and keep us updated on your baby's progress!

OP
A

Abu Hudhud

Jul 5, 2023
Poor baby! I would start with both the larger cage and vet visit. Any idea how old she is? Males don't develop a ring until 18 months or older. So without knowing age I couldn't say for sure the sex.

Plucking could be from stress, disease, improper diet, lack of toys, and or a combination of all. I would get her the biggest cage I could find with bar spacing being 1/2 to 5/8 inches. Multiple wooden perches of different sizes, stainless steel bowls, and 6 or more toys especially soft ones that allow her to preen them instead of herself.

For diet I would do more vegetables than fruit. Fruit should be limited as it can produce yeast infections and it triggers hormones for breeding. I limit mine to about 10% of the diet. You will want to add grains too. There are chop recipes listed in the forum. A pellet without sugar or artificial flavors if you can get one where you are. She needs access to both food and water inside her cage at all times.

I would also mist her daily with a warm water bottle or offer her a shallow dish to bath in. Mine loves to bath and be misted.

Once you have her in her larger cage, I would talk to her and offer treats such as nuts. Go slow and give her space. She will need time to adjust. Let us know what the vet says and keep us updated on your baby's progress!
Thank you for the tips and advice. Unfortunately I have no details about her (assuming its a her). The way the animals are sold at these markets is very terrible, its like street vendors for animals, so even though I tried to ask the guy who sold her to me about her, he knew basically nothing. Hoping the vet can let us know these things, she does have a band as well on her leg so its possible that will have the information.

OP
A

Abu Hudhud

Jul 5, 2023

We went to the vet last night. He said she's actually an alexandrine parrot. She's 2 years old. He said there doesn't seem to be no serious damage but she's obviously quite weak and traumatized and that she's a bit overweight as she was only fed sunflower seeds. he said with proper care and a good diet her plumage and beak color should improve and she will open up with time. As for now we have bought a huge cage which should come tomorrow and have given her free roam of the bedroom. She cannot fly well due to being caged and is still very scared. But she is making a tiny bit of noise and opening up a tiny bit. We switched her to pellets and will start her on chop soon and she seems to have taken well to the pellets.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
We went to the vet last night. He said she's actually an alexandrine parrot. She's 2 years old. He said there doesn't seem to be no serious damage but she's obviously quite weak and traumatized and that she's a bit overweight as she was only fed sunflower seeds. he said with proper care and a good diet her plumage and beak color should improve and she will open up with time. As for now we have bought a huge cage which should come tomorrow and have given her free roam of the bedroom. She cannot fly well due to being caged and is still very scared. But she is making a tiny bit of noise and opening up a tiny bit. We switched her to pellets and will start her on chop soon and she seems to have taken well to the pellets.
I thought she was might have been an alexandrine from the photo you posted. I am glad she seems to like the pellets as most don't take to them right away. Proper care and love will make her an amazing bird.

OP
A

Abu Hudhud

Jul 5, 2023
I thought she was might have been an alexandrine from the photo you posted. I am glad she seems to like the pellets as most don't take to them right away. Proper care and love will make her an amazing bird.
She's started opening up to us already. Eats food from our hands and is making loud calls. Even called for us when we left her in the bedroom. This is her new cage. She's a bit scared though understandably. A big upgrade from the rat trap I found her in though. :))

Attachments

• 9419FD46-A20C-4D3A-B0A4-E2EDD6096E15.JPG
    9419FD46-A20C-4D3A-B0A4-E2EDD6096E15.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 47
  • C0DC65F5-B8F3-45C7-80B4-7D0086FFAE24 2.JPG
    C0DC65F5-B8F3-45C7-80B4-7D0086FFAE24 2.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 48

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
She's started opening up to us already. Eats food from our hands and is making loud calls. Even called for us when we left her in the bedroom. This is her new cage. She's a bit scared though understandably. A big upgrade from the rat trap I found her in though. :))
I love it other than the little nesting hut. Those harbor bacteria and will cause her to want to breed.
I am happy you two found each other.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I am so glad you rescued her and can now give her the good life she deserves! Sounds like your making some good progress. Have you decided on a name for her?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's quite a palace!

OP
A

Abu Hudhud

Jul 5, 2023
I am so glad you rescued her and can now give her the good life she deserves! Sounds like your making some good progress. Have you decided on a name for her?
We're still undecided on the name, we want to see her personality come out a little more before we settle on anything. She's actually been making whistle noises and what appears to be imitation of a person meowing, so it seems she may have been a pet before. Not sure what her story is and how she ended up in the terrible conditions that she did.

OP
A

Abu Hudhud

Jul 5, 2023
My son and her are already getting along well. This is him trying to feed her his chicken nuggets. :0

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 42

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
My son and her are already getting along well. This is him trying to feed her his chicken nuggets. :0
No people food! Nelson loves his chop! He's a champion eater. Do some research on what parrots can and can not eat. Some foods are very toxic to birds. Please keep us updated on how she is doing! And put lots of toys in her cage. Nelson loves his toys and forage box!

Most Reactions

Latest posts