New routine for little Oz!

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
So, I've been considering bringing a second bird into my home, but first I decided that I needed to make some changes around here if I want to care for more than one bird AND make my little guy happier. Since I got him, I've never really given him a proper routine, he just went to bed and got up when I did. He received carrots or couscous a few times a week and ate mostly seeds since I mixed the pellets with them.

From now on, we're gonna be getting up at 8 every morning and he'll go to bed a 9. I bought a cage cover to help him with this.

He'll get a bowl of pellets in the morning and I put an alarm on my phone to remind me to give him vegies or other foods at the same time every day until it becomes a habit. I've also ordered a foraging toy that I'll put his seeds and other threats in.

41xTK9UxyRL.jpg

I've been wanting to change his diet to more pellets for a while, but what worries me is him not eating enough and starving himself. I'd love tips on how to help the transition.

I'm also gonna give him daily training sessions with the clicker now instead of doing it once in a while. Of course he'll still get his daily cuddles and sleep on my shoulder and go crazy for my toothbrush :eek:

Fun fact, he does the wave trick I've shown him for 2 sessions a while back, but only when he feels like it and never when I prompt it. I don't think he realizes yet that I want him to wave back when I wave and say 'coucou'. Guess we'll be working on that first!

I just want both our lives to be more organized. In a few months, if everything is going well and we can both settle in our new routine, maybe we'll bring a new friend into the mix!

Any suggestions of things to add to or remove from our game plan? Or if you have any advice on how to ease him into the new routine, I'd appreciate it! Also, I'd love simple recipes suggestions to see if he would take to mashes or breads and all that stuff. He loves couscous, if that helps.

I've been reading up a lot recently and it made me realize that even if he gets a clean cage and plenty of free time, he might need more mental stimulation. I felt guilty that I wasn't challenging him enough and providing the best diet possible all the time. He's picky about what he eats, so getting him to try new things is a bit of a challenge but I'll do my best.

Another fun fact, he only eats carrots if I scatter little pieces around that he has to look for. It's weird because if I'm eating total junk (ie reese flavored cereals), he'll jump in the bowl an want a piece, but if I'm eating something nice and healthy he can eat too, he wants nothing to do with it. (unless it's couscous). I swear! He wanted my instant noodles something fierce but wholewheat spaghetti? No sir. Nothing doing, keep that thing away from me. :rolleyes:

Also, his new favorite thing! He loves them as a threat.

p-146907-58657.jpg

:grey:

Most Reactions