New Sun Conure, few minor problems

Mk23

Oct 20, 2011
So I got my new baby Sun Conure 2 days ago and I was wondering if he would warm up to being pet and being held as time goes on? I know it's been very short time but he seems to only like being held only when he sees food is involved. Luckily he's been a very quiet little bird so far and only gets loud when he either see danger, sees the sunset, hears other nearby birds, or hasn't seen me in a while.

He is 13 weeks old, does anyone know when the "beaking" phase tends to come in? Also, has anyone used the stuff they sell in pet shops labeled as "scented bird spray"? Just wondering if it is any decent. Another thing is should I take him to an avian vet right away to get an idea of his health? He didn't come with his vaccinations and I was wondering if I should get them done.

Lastly, does anyone have any training info on pooping on command and stepping up?

Thanks a bunch! So excited!

*edit*

Forgot to ask, should my bird have come with a breeder band? Since he didn't should I get the microchip implanted?

Last edited:

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
I think he will definitely warm up, it's only been 2 days! :) He's a baby bird in a new environment, it'll take him a while to get used to everything. I think it takes some birds months to warm up.

As for pooping on command, you should get an idea of how often he poops or his body language when he's about to poop so you can anticipate it. When you think he is going to poop, place him above a tissue or his cage or wherever you want him to poop, and say "poop!" If he poops, reward him, maybe click your clicker if you have one. Keep doing this, and he will learn that you want him to poop when you say "poop." Stepping up is similar. Put your finger in front of him and say "step up" and when he steps up, use a clicker and give him a treat. Of course you don't have to use a clicker, but I personally think it's effective.

I think for step up, you can put your finger on his lower belly to ask him to step up, but I've heard from some sources not to do this... I'm not really sure. All of my birds know how to step up. I don't remember how I taught them, except that they just got used to me picking them up and they usually came willingly. Maybe someone else can confirm this :).

A vet visit is a good idea. Even if he doesn't seem sick, it's good to be sure. It's always good to catch any illnesses early!

I'm not sure when birds start beaking, and I'm not sure about the scented spray.. I think anything with perfume in it is bad for a bird's respiratory system? I know hairspray, air fresheners, incense, etc. are bad.

OP
M

Mk23

Oct 20, 2011
I think he will definitely warm up, it's only been 2 days! :) He's a baby bird in a new environment, it'll take him a while to get used to everything. I think it takes some birds months to warm up.

As for pooping on command, you should get an idea of how often he poops or his body language when he's about to poop so you can anticipate it. When you think he is going to poop, place him above a tissue or his cage or wherever you want him to poop, and say "poop!" If he poops, reward him, maybe click your clicker if you have one. Keep doing this, and he will learn that you want him to poop when you say "poop." Stepping up is similar. Put your finger in front of him and say "step up" and when he steps up, use a clicker and give him a treat. Of course you don't have to use a clicker, but I personally think it's effective.

I think for step up, you can put your finger on his lower belly to ask him to step up, but I've heard from some sources not to do this... I'm not really sure. All of my birds know how to step up. I don't remember how I taught them, except that they just got used to me picking them up and they usually came willingly. Maybe someone else can confirm this :).

A vet visit is a good idea. Even if he doesn't seem sick, it's good to be sure. It's always good to catch any illnesses early!

I'm not sure when birds start beaking, and I'm not sure about the scented spray.. I think anything with perfume in it is bad for a bird's respiratory system? I know hairspray, air fresheners, incense, etc. are bad.

Thank you for your reply. I have started getting him to step up on command by using the method you described, he's catching on quick! The method for pooping on command I'll have to try, will have to get him to get good at stepping up first, don't want to overwhelm him. Thank you for letting me know the method, it seemed impossible without knowing.

Funny you mention that he'll warm up, cause he has already started warming up to my touch. I think in a few weeks he'll be good. Again thanks for the reply! :)

*edit*

Got the appointment with the vet next week too. :)

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
Not sure if you are willing to read but two great books that will teach you alot is Good parrot keeping and Birds off the perch. Both has a lot of info and great training tips. I got my birds potty trained in less than a week after reading those. Plus all the cutie tricks everyone loves.

OP
M

Mk23

Oct 20, 2011
Not sure if you are willing to read but two great books that will teach you alot is Good parrot keeping and Birds off the perch. Both has a lot of info and great training tips. I got my birds potty trained in less than a week after reading those. Plus all the cutie tricks everyone loves.

Awesome! Thanks for that! Will definitely pick them up. :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
All companion birds should have a once a year exam by an avian vet. They check the droppings, listen to the heart and lungs. check the feathers, beak, eyes and mouth. They will look at feet and best of all give you education on care and feeding. They will suggest lab draws to check on the organ functions. The best wing and feet trims are done by a vet. Do people do this?? I doubt it but I do.

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
My birds go to the vet two times a year once for a check up blood work and all. The other is a quick check up and grooming. Yea i can do the grooming myself and do toe nails often but feel a little better having my vet looking at them in case i miss something. Your vet is your best friend when it comes to your bird. I weigh my birds every 3 days just to make sure they don't have a large weight drop. When they see the scale they are happy birds they know they get a grape after its done. I have a note pad i write down the weights that way if they are dropping just a little over two weeks i can see that and take them to the vet before it becomes a huge problem.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
You bring up many good questions and I'm sorry in advance for the long post, but I want to try and add as much information as I can.

BirdieNumNum has some great advice, especially for pooping on command. I just want to add a few things. Never scold your parrot for pooping on you or in an undesired place! They are just doing what is natural to them. Also, if you catch him pooping in his cage, even if you didn't tell him to, be sure to praise him right away and use your keyword (poop). Example: "Good boy! You did a poop in your cage!" I also suggest using a designated treat only given when he poops in his cage or on command. Another thing, you have to remember that birds have to "go to the bathroom" a lot more often than humans do. So if you have your sun out for a while (i.e. 20 minutes or so) and he hasn't pooped, take him to his cage for a potty break. You'll start recognizing the signs of when he has to go. Nicky, for example, starts getting agitated and starts making grumpy noises.

About your "quiet little bird"... I'm sorry to say this but when he "warms up" he will most likely be a lot more vocal. I'm sure you already know how loud sun conures are known to be. I thought I got lucky when I brought Nicky home because he was so quiet for the first week. Then when he warmed up to his new family and surroundings, he started acting like a typical vocal sun conure. I still love him all the same. Just wanted to warn you so there are no surprises.

I brought Nicky home when he was 10 weeks old and was already going through the "beaking" phase. It started off very gentle and didn't really become a problem until a year later. And then it became a huge problem when he hit the "terrible two's." I know there are a few posts on here from the past on how to treat this behavior early enough before it becomes a problem. I suggest looking through those.

I have never heard of this "scented bird spray" you mentioned but like BirdieNumNum said, anything with perfume in it is most likely bad for birds. I don't really think there is a need for it anyway.

I'm glad to hear that he is catching on to the step-up command. You must be doing a good job!

You may have to ask your vet about the microchip. I keep my birds' wings clipped so I feel my birds don't need one. It is all based on personal opinion. Many people on this forum have different opinions about clipping wings but you should be able to decide what is best for you and your own bird.

I hope this helped. Have fun with your new sun conure! They are oodles of fun!!! What is his name by the way?

OP
M

Mk23

Oct 20, 2011
You bring up many good questions and I'm sorry in advance for the long post, but I want to try and add as much information as I can.

BirdieNumNum has some great advice, especially for pooping on command. I just want to add a few things. Never scold your parrot for pooping on you or in an undesired place! They are just doing what is natural to them. Also, if you catch him pooping in his cage, even if you didn't tell him to, be sure to praise him right away and use your keyword (poop). Example: "Good boy! You did a poop in your cage!" I also suggest using a designated treat only given when he poops in his cage or on command. Another thing, you have to remember that birds have to "go to the bathroom" a lot more often than humans do. So if you have your sun out for a while (i.e. 20 minutes or so) and he hasn't pooped, take him to his cage for a potty break. You'll start recognizing the signs of when he has to go. Nicky, for example, starts getting agitated and starts making grumpy noises.

About your "quiet little bird"... I'm sorry to say this but when he "warms up" he will most likely be a lot more vocal. I'm sure you already know how loud sun conures are known to be. I thought I got lucky when I brought Nicky home because he was so quiet for the first week. Then when he warmed up to his new family and surroundings, he started acting like a typical vocal sun conure. I still love him all the same. Just wanted to warn you so there are no surprises.

I brought Nicky home when he was 10 weeks old and was already going through the "beaking" phase. It started off very gentle and didn't really become a problem until a year later. And then it became a huge problem when he hit the "terrible two's." I know there are a few posts on here from the past on how to treat this behavior early enough before it becomes a problem. I suggest looking through those.

I have never heard of this "scented bird spray" you mentioned but like BirdieNumNum said, anything with perfume in it is most likely bad for birds. I don't really think there is a need for it anyway.

I'm glad to hear that he is catching on to the step-up command. You must be doing a good job!

You may have to ask your vet about the microchip. I keep my birds' wings clipped so I feel my birds don't need one. It is all based on personal opinion. Many people on this forum have different opinions about clipping wings but you should be able to decide what is best for you and your own bird.

I hope this helped. Have fun with your new sun conure! They are oodles of fun!!! What is his name by the way?

Thank you for the help! Love long posts when they are full of answers to my questions lol.

I have yet to scold my bird for anything other than trying to bite my dogs lol. Though that was an isolated incident and he is warming up to my 2 Chihuahuas at a steady pace. Trying to go slow though, one day the dogs are in sight, the next they are in the room, the next they are 8 ft away, the yesterday they were able to sit within 3ft of each other.

Glad you let me know about him getting more vocal as time goes on, I expected a sun conure to be more vocal so I was surprised when he wasn't.

I'll have to search through the posts once it comes up I guess.

The scented bird spray was actually electrolyte water spray, I thought it was scented but it wasn't. I plan on using spray bottle of warm water anyways.

I actually have a vet appt. on next Wednesday. The only bird special.ist (avian vet? same thing?) in my area. I might actually get the chip as I plan on taking my conure with me on bike rides. I plan to warm him up to it slowly and make sure a leash or something is attached to his ankle (they have those right?). Will also have to make sure his wings are clipped well when doing that.

His name is Noah, and I had a hard time coming up with that name. Boys names are so much harder than girls... Baby name websites helped me out there.

Love having Noah around! :) :orange:

Last edited:

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Thank you for your reply. I have started getting him to step up on command by using the method you described, he's catching on quick! The method for pooping on command I'll have to try, will have to get him to get good at stepping up first, don't want to overwhelm him. Thank you for letting me know the method, it seemed impossible without knowing.

Funny you mention that he'll warm up, cause he has already started warming up to my touch. I think in a few weeks he'll be good. Again thanks for the reply! :)

*edit*

Got the appointment with the vet next week too. :)

That's great!! Congrats on making big steps :D He sounds like a smart little boy!

Most Reactions