New Sun Conure!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yesterday Heather (Parkersmom) contacted me about a Sun Conure that's in need of someone to take in. The lady Jennifer rescued him/her from a terrible situation yesterday. We named it Isis as a girl for the time being as we're not sure but my partner seems to think it's a girl. She was neglected terribly as the previous owner left her outside with a tarp covering her cage. She have somehow hurt her left leg so I'm massaging it for now but will need to make an appointment for her to see an actual vet. Also having her leg band removed that's on the same leg. Unfortunately Jennifer was feeding what she's feeding to her Greys which is not enough for a Conure. So I changed the food as I got her new toys and bowls until we have hers all sanitized. Her cage was caked up with feces and food crumbs as Jennifer cleaned most of that up already. So I completely scrubbed her cage as there were maggots underneath. I toweled her to observe her closely and also massaged her leg and then I bathed her as she was dirty. She can fly but when she lands she's laying on the floor as she does not want to use her left foot. She's still using it a bit but leaning off of it as much as she can. She's hanging on the side of the cage to sleep, I'm not a fan of sleeping hut BUT I really think that would be best for her. Due to her condition I'm going to keep her in her existing cage for the time being before putting her in a bigger cage. The previous family supposedly left a week on a camping trip and came home to find her leg hurt as there were strings on the cover, her right foot had strings tangled within. That was the first thing I did was to remove the string. They wanted her back, NO WAY!!!! People like them should NOT have birds.....It made my partner and I very sad to see her in the condition she was as we don't need more birds but we have decided to keep her but that do mean I need to find homes for some of my tiels as we're trying to lighten the load as we've rescued too many.

Anyway, here's the new baby!!!!

20140811_223753_zpspztmrdpo.jpg

20140811_223726_zpszuhuqthu.jpg

20140811_223732_zps93rkgyal.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh how cute Mikey! I can't believe 'she' was left OUTSIDE under a tarp :eek: Poor thing. Someone really didn't want her. That's awful it was so dirty that it had maggots in the cage :eek:! Lucky bird now... I'm sure she'll do well under your care as you nurse her back to good health. :)

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I think she's gonna be a easy one to train as she's showing interest in both of us big time. She started clicking at me from the moment she saw me. She came right to the side of the cage where I was standing and looking at me while clicking her beak. I was going oh my I'm in trouble....lol

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
She can fly but when she lands she's laying on the floor as she does not want to use her left foot.

Several years ago I rehomed 4 sibling suns, 2 each from two succeeding clutches & when I picked them up, they were 18 & 24 months old, all flighted, but it was difficult for them to fly across a room without flopping on landing, because they'd not been out of their cage, except when the owner cleaned it and then I believe they were popped into a temporary one.....the problem was that the owner's home was a two story open design with cross beams 38' high & the owners were afraid of not being able to catch a loose bird.....anyway, since you don't know how long (s)he has been caged, his/her tacky landing may also be due to having been caged so long.....

How's the foot grip in the injured leg? Hope it turns out to be just a sprain or bruise.....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am so happy she has found her way to you and that you are keeping her. Her previous owners have no legal claim, do they?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Michael, I am so glad you found this little one and took her into your home. Poor little bird, left outside under a tarp and living in filth, I wonder what her diet was like. I'm not surprised she was clacking her beak at you. I hope her foot injury isn't too serious. I know she'll thrive in your care.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Aww...what a cutie! Poor baby! I don't understand how people can do things like this to their pets. She's in good hands now and I'm sure will have a wonderful life from here on out! Congrats!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Michael, I am so glad you took this poor girl in...sounds like she is already realizing that she has hit the lottery, my friend.
I hope her leg gets better, and does not have long term effects.
So the owners gave her away and now want her back?? They do not deserve to have even a stuffed animal, much less a living, feeling being.
Sounds like you are already in love;)

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
She can fly but when she lands she's laying on the floor as she does not want to use her left foot.

Several years ago I rehomed 4 sibling suns, 2 each from two succeeding clutches & when I picked them up, they were 18 & 24 months old, all flighted, but it was difficult for them to fly across a room without flopping on landing, because they'd not been out of their cage, except when the owner cleaned it and then I believe they were popped into a temporary one.....the problem was that the owner's home was a two story open design with cross beams 38' high & the owners were afraid of not being able to catch a loose bird.....anyway, since you don't know how long (s)he has been caged, his/her tacky landing may also be due to having been caged so long.....

How's the foot grip in the injured leg? Hope it turns out to be just a sprain or bruise.....

She don't really want to use her left foot at all, it does minimal grip. She won't even stand on it. It's not broken! The reason she flops is because of her left leg. Watching her eat is very sad. She eats pellets but have a hard time eating it as she wants to grip with her foot but can't.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I am so happy she has found her way to you and that you are keeping her. Her previous owners have no legal claim, do they?

They don't since they give her up already! It's up to the new owner to decide to give back or not.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Michael, I am so glad you took this poor girl in...sounds like she is already realizing that she has hit the lottery, my friend.
I hope her leg gets better, and does not have long term effects.
So the owners gave her away and now want her back?? They do not deserve to have even a stuffed animal, much less a living, feeling being.
Sounds like you are already in love;)

Yea they wanted her back. No way!!!! Jennifer already told them no. Since she's with me now I will definitely tell them no especially after observing her conditions.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
These kinds of stories amaze me. Why do people even keep any kind of animal in such conditions? So glad you came along!

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I got the leg band removed tonight and massaged the leg some more. She's using it to grip a bit more now. She actually used it to climb a bit but still favors the other leg instead. She's actually a total sweetheart that wants to be on my shoulders. She'll fly right onto my shoulders. I'm able to pet her and giving her head and neck rubs.

20140813_010639_zpsuuamr1xg.jpg

20140813_010549_zpsuudlhuim.jpg

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
How is she doing

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I'm glad you got her! Want her back? For what? To neglect her some more and keep her in a filthy, maggot ridden cage?
Well mikey, she couldn't be in a better home! I know you said once you wouldn't have any conures because they're crazy, but you've obviously fallen under the irresistible spell of conures. Haha never say never :)

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
like i've said many times before. Sometimes birds that are in terrible situations realize just how lucky they are when they get rescued by someone like you. Those birds make the best pets. I am so happy for you guys. Looks like an amazing companion you got there.
congratulations

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
How is she doing

She's doing excellent! She thank her auntie Heather for picking her up!!!! She's very sassy! Wants attention constantly and to be loved on. Starting to do naughty things....she gets the paper through the grate and shred....lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts