New To Birds....

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Quick story behind the birds, I was going through quite a bout of depression many Christmases ago. We went to PetCo to get treats from Santa and they had the cutest GCC. I had 2 parakeets as a child and they were my best friends. I would play with them for hours. But no other parrot experience, other than the fact I used to breed Gouldians.

Anyhow, I was still kind of wishing we had got this GCC that was at the store. Unbeknownst to me my incredibly kind honey called the store and learned they were gone.

Not to be outdone, he looked up parrot breeders and surprised dragged me to this guys house near LA, no mention of what or why. A little background, my nusband and I are both animal lovers and trained/showed for a living, but no birds. My husband didn't think they could be any more work than the dogs, horses, sheep, etc. He still calls their cage pens and their food grain!

The guy obviously wasn't very reputable, as my husband ended up with a GCC on his lap and I had the two very young Suns. So out the door we marched with a temporary cage and hand feeding supplies. To say the next 4 weeks of hand-feeding were crazy is an understatement. Every 4-6 hours, regardless of how tired, sick, depressed or otherwise. Plus socializing them. Who could stay depressed with all that?

As soon as we got home I started doing research. Like I said, the depression was pretty bad so I was kind of on autopilot.

The birds really did help with the depression, but I sure learned a lot about conures up close and fast. Absolutely amazing how smart they are. Diva toddlers to no end. Cute as a button and they know it.

They are now such a part of my life. I have never cooked in my life but I make fantastic Conure grub. And the differences in their personalities are amazing. I actually think if I lived in an apartment I would have a bird over a dog!

This forum has taught me so much and I just really appreciate everyone on it. My birds are healthier and happier because of it. In fact, my vet was so impressed with the health/happiness of my birds was trying to unload a rescue grey on me. Ha! Now I know better. I would just fall in love and that would be another 3-4 hours out of my life!

-Thank you all

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Love your story into the World of Conures.

Consider asking one of the SM's to move it to the Incredible Journeys Forum as its a story that many more need to read!

Thank-you, for providing this 'incredible journey!'

Most Reactions