New to Conures - Couple of questions

Stephable

Jan 20, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Budgie
Green Cheek Conure
Hey!

I got a GCC a month or so ago, I've done a bunch of research and things are going well! Momo is settling in and eating well and playing with toys and me :)

I just have a few questions about little quirks. Momo has been having baths in their water bowl so I got a smallish container and put a little bit of water into it but they don't seem interested in the larger container, only their bowl. Do you know of any ways to encourage bathing in the actual bath?

I'm also working on bonding/training with Momo. They were hand-raised by the breeder but then not handled for a little while because the breeder was also raising about 6 galahs so Momo is friendly but a little wary. I'm not sure what the best way to work with them is... they love cuddles and scritches but shy away from my hands sometimes. They love attention but get a bit shy when I go into their room. I think we're doing well but to get them back into the cage I have to grab them and out them in and I'm worried its scaring Momo :( But I don't want to keep them in the cage either because they love their time out. Any advice?

Also I feel like Momo loves food but they aren't motivated by it in the same way my budgie is. Training to budgie was pretty simple with millet but although Momo will take food from me, etc. they're more interested in investigating their surroundings so I'm struggling to keep their attention to build our bond. Is there something your bird LOVES that I might not of thought of? Is this something that will get better with time?

Last thing (for now haha) Momo had their wings clipped before I got them, I've never had a bird with clipped wings before but I set up a branch as a bridge from their cage to the windowsill and gave them toys and stuff there. They seem like they're kind of frustrated though, a few times a day they'll sit on a perch and flap while perching and sometimes try to fly places and miss. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post haha I'm trying to be the best bird owner possible!

Here's some pictures of the cutie for reading til the end haha

ZX6O0UH.jpg

AMFRmt1.mp4

g8Ezy1o.jpg

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
give him some time to open up to you,

instead of grabbing him as that will break his trust just try and slowly move over to the cage whilst distracting him. Place treats visibly in the cage and keep food as an only cage thing for now.

As for the treats try either apple or raisins. there wasn't much my conure wouldn't do for either of them. If not those sunflower seeds are a good bet if it's not in any seed mix you give. I would pick it out from each bowl so he would be more motivated by it

outside of that just a bit of patience

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi. What a beautiful Conure you have. My Quaker Parrot prefers to bath in his water bowl. Ive tried other methods but he just prefers it and i know alot of Parrots do so its perfectly normal and good that your lil guy is actually bathing himself.

It could takes months to bond with your Parrot but i see him on your shoulder so thats good. Id work on step up training. There is lots of great info on the forums on bond building and training. Seems to me your actually doing really well with your Conure, its just takes time and patience, love and attention x

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Cute baby <3 I love him/her.

My parrot bathes in her water bowl too. I just change it everyday so it stays nice and clean, but I otherwise don't see it as much of an issue. I suppose it does get her paper wet.

Also, what type of bedding are you using in their cage ? I've heard certain types can actually be harmful to parrots (I want to say walnut). I personally prefer using newspaper or old homework -- it's free and easy to clean.

I think in time Momo will become more social. That she/he even steps up on your shoulder like that is a good sign. Just take it at Momo's pace. You could try more passive interaction activities too, like reading aloud. Parrots usually like hearing the sound of your voice. See if you can put him/her back in her cage without grabbing, though. Using their favorite treat (usually they love safflower or sunflower seeds) might be less stressful for everyone involved.

As for the clipped wings, just give Momo lots of things to climb and do. Momo is still young, so he/she will be very klutzy and it's probably inadvisable to set up their cage too high up where they'll get hurt when they fall. But as they get older, even a clipped bird should be able to comfortably maneuver in their cage because of all the branches and ladders you have. You can potentially try some exercises to encourage flapping for when they do grow out their wings again (i.e. walking fast or slow running while they're perched, causing them to open their wings).

Best of luck ! :)

OP
S

Stephable

Jan 20, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Budgie
Green Cheek Conure
Yeah, as much as I can I usually wait for them to get back in the cage by themself but when it's bedtime or I have to go out its a bit more of a rush :s They don't seem to mind it though? They don't nip or try to get away or anything. But I'll definitely keep working on getting them back in by themself.

Yeah they do like raisins and apples and sunflower seeds haha but still not overly interested. I think they probably just need more time to settle in and get used to the surroundings/birds outside so they're less distracted.

The picture in the cage isn't actually mine, it was sent to me by the breeder I got Momo from so the bedding isn't what I use, I do actually use newspaper haha.

Yeah I'll just keep working on hanging out with them I guess :) I usually go and sit with them for a couple of hours in the morning while I answer emails and stuff which is nice. Plus when I go back to uni we'll be together all the time since their (current) cage is in my study! At least I hope I'll be in there a lot :p

Omg they're such a klutz. It's hilarious to watch because when they get excited they trip over their own feet and land on their face haha. Never fazed by it though. Momo is actually practising plenty of flapping all by themself and does little flights too (sometimes unsuccessfully haha) so I think they're all over it. How long does it usually take for their flight feathers to come back in?

Thanks for all the advice! I'm sure I'll keep posting about Momo and my progress and putting up cute pictures because I'm absolutely smitten <3

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Welcome and hi to you and momo!

My SO has found the conures will naturally want to bath whenever the kitchen tap is running, either in her cupped-together hands or a bowl, however small. Food thankfully remains a strong enough motivator, I don't know what I would do if it didn't excite them.

Both our birds were bought with clipped wings, as their wings grew back, they would flap around and so on. Just make sure the area they are flying around in is safe.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I see the bowls on the bottom of the cage in the picture. Birds like their food and water higher up to eat from a perch and plus it's so easy for birdie to poop in food and water and it gets dirtier faster. Birds feel safer up high.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
1) I think the Noise of water is one thing that makes them want to bathe. Clark will jump in a water dish, but if I put him on the rail above the shower (on a towel) or I'm filling Ice trays for my mini fridge...bath time is on. Then I'm sitting there holding an ice tray and regulating the water temp to barely tepid as he splashes ALL THE THINGS.

2) even clipped birds will flap for attention or exercise. encourage it, it's healthy.

3) clark also isn't motivated by food so much, but he is by attention. He's way more into cuddling and positive praise than apple or orange juice, two of his favorites.

beautiful bird!

:gcc:

Most Reactions