New to forum and being a bird owner

CindyR

Jan 18, 2013
Parrots
Two sun conures - Olivia and Caillou
Hi everyone, just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. My name is Cindy and my husband's name is Calvin. We have 4 children, 1 Miniature Pinscher and today we purchased 2 Sun Conures.

I have been researching birds for the past few months and had fallen in love with the Sun Conure species. I really had hoped to adopt them from an avian rescue situation but none of the rescues in my area have had any available. :(

The Conures that we bought are about a year old (apparently they were purchased once before and the owner brought them back and refunded half of his money because he didnt realize the responsibility that comes with owning birds *boggle*). So in a way, I felt like I was rescuing them since they were returned heh. The 2 Conures have been raised together since hatching. I had planned on only buying one bird, but I couldn't stand the idea of splitting them up and possibly then adopting more problems with a bird that is plucking or having behavior issues because we split up the pair. Plus, I like the idea that he has a friend to keep him company if we leave the house for any period of time. The pet store had them at a HUGE discount in hopes that people would buy them together and since they were returned once before. Got them for about $320 for the pair.

They are in good feather (except one of the birds has his tail feathers missing, but are growing back. I was told the previous owner had the birds in a cage much too small which caused the tail feathers to be missing). They seem pretty tame but will need a little work, it doesn't appear they have had much training though. The pet store that we bought them said they were hand-fed by them before they were originally purchased.

I am taking everything the pet store has told me with a grain of salt. I have very little trust for most pet stores heh. I just really liked the personality of the birds and they are beautiful. The rest I am willing to work on!

I do have a few questions... With owning two birds, how do I split up my time to give them equal attention? Do I take them both out and hold them both at the same time (if they will allow it) or do I work with them individually? Train individually? As far as diet goes, from everything I have read, I know you want to give pellets, mixed fruits and veggies... what I am having a hard time finding is exactly what ratio I should be giving them as well as how do I feed 2 birds to make sure that both of them are eating? Seperate dishes? Feed and sit and watch while they eat? Is there anywhere on the net (or what do you suggest) that would be considered a good varied diet for them? (these are stupid questions probably, but I don't want to screw this up).

Lastly, any suggestions you can give me I am always willing to listen. I get to go pick them up tomorrow (we had them held until I could get a cage I liked). I was thinking of naming them Apollo and Helios. I thought I was being all original but after looking at names today I realized thats definitely not original haha. Now I have to think of names!

Thanks and sorry for the post running away and being so long!

CathnPoe

Oct 17, 2012
Media
NSW, Australia
Parrots
1 male Eclectus, Poe.
Welcome to the Forum. Afraid I don't have knowledge concerning working with birds together. YouTube "kiliparrot". He has two birds very well trained, and although he didn't buy them at the same time, you might be able to pick up some training hints.
Best of luck.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Congratulations on you new conures! I have two sun conures (along with a CAG & B&G ). Sun conures are funny birds! Mine eat as much as I will give them. I'm not kidding they really love food. They are also very active and CAN be very loud, hahaha. You will see what I mean when you get them home. The best advise I think I have to offer is this: foraging toys!!!! Lots of them. When they start getting noisy place a foraging toy with hidden pellets and some treats and let them go at it! The more toys you have the better. You don't have to buy a lot of them they are easy to make. For instance take a empty paper towel roll and twist it put a few pellets in, twist and repeat until you get to the end. They will spend hours breaking it apart. Mine love to crawl all over me or whoever is holding them. I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish with your training. i always play with mine together but for training i have one on a stand with the other right beside. if i go too far with one they both scream until they are back together. dont worry about one eating all the food, they will both get enough im sure. They are very cute, fun and entertaining little birds.

Last edited:

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Welcome to the forum, congrats on the suns.. we love ours. Beautiful birds...really easy going.

OP
C

CindyR

Jan 18, 2013
Parrots
I am so excited to pick them up in the morning! It's so funny, I feel like a kid in a candy store lol. :)

Thank you very much for the suggestions as well! I grew up around birds as a teenager because a close friend of mine had a macaw and cockatoo but this is my first time owning birds of my own. Looking forward to it!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Congrats on your new suns. You say they came from the same store…..if they’re male & female, are they siblings? You mentioned the shop had hand-fed them…might want to check if they are siblings, maybe different clutches. The reason I mention it, several years ago I re-homed 4 suns that were from two succeeding clutches & it just so happened that I had one of each from each pair…they’d been parent raised & were 18 & 24 months old…..essentially wild birds, but they’d not been banded, so it was lucky I had them sexed.

Don’t know what suns go for where you are, but I think you got a pretty good deal & if they check out health wise you may have made an h… of a deal…..

Young suns or any young conure, for that matter may ruin their juvenile tail feathers before they finally figure out what they’re for, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that, since replacements are already coming in.

For your time out with them, I’d have them both out together or your going to have them both screaming back & forth at each other…..some of which you’re going to have to enjoy anyway. When I got the DNA tests back on mine, I put each in their own cage & that caused screaming, but putting the cages next to each other & across from each other helped there, but since they had never been hand tamed, I had to take them separately, into another room to work with them…..together they were a gang of 4…..

They’ll pretty much determine their own feed ratio…..what they like gets eaten, what they don’t hits the cage floor or gets flung out…not hard for them…..

You can feed in one dish, two or more, they’ll eat what they want & leave the rest & whichever one stands up for itself will not go hungry…..actually neither will go hungry, but unless they get too fat or don’t gain enough weight, you really don’t need to do precision measuring…..heck, you’re not raising Olympians, are you ? ? ?

All of us had to ask some of the same questions when we started, so ask all you want, but let common sense be your guide…..caring for companion birds is not rocket science and if you’re not sure of something, just keep doing what you did here earlier…..

And you thought you were long winded ? ? ?

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
With my two greys I take them around the house with me both together and individually so that they get my full attention. It's harder to tame two than one because they don't need to rely on you for attention, and that makes them a little less interested in human interaction, but it doesn't mean that they won't want it anyway. Training I find is easier when you do it one at a time.

Consider also a second cage. If they have a disagreement or if they're male/female, things can go quite ary when hormones fly at mating season.

When mine were housed together I just fed them in the same dish. One is much more dominant, so she gets what she wants from whatever bowl no matter what I do. I prefer feeding them in separate cages so that I can better monitor their food, but there really is no way to tell when they're together aside from standing there watching.

Feel free to PM me as well if you have any other questions regarding 'twins' :)

OP
C

CindyR

Jan 18, 2013
Parrots
So excited! Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions and encouragement. I am sitting here waiting for the rest of the family to wake up so I can go get them lol. (trying to resist yelling, "WAKE UP!" haha).

OP
C

CindyR

Jan 18, 2013
Parrots
@weco - I will ask if they are from the same clutch but are you asking because there is concern of mating? I was under the impression that if you do not supply anything that encourages nesting that they will not mate.... is that incorrect!?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2 new babies. I also have a minpin and a 5 lb chiweenie:)

OP
C

CindyR

Jan 18, 2013
Parrots
Our newest additions Olivia and Caillou are home and settled in! (We named them after my daughter and son's favorite TV shows lol). They are SO gorgeous! They have been stepping up already for me, eating and drinking really well and talking! (I had no idea that they had any vocabulary). We put them in their cage and they both said "thank you" several times and then when I was having them step up, they said "step up" as well. So exciting to hear them talking, its a nice suprise.

I did ask if they were from the same clutch, the pet store did not know but she said she "thinks" they are. Speaking of the lady at the pet store... GRR... She took my birds out of the cage they were in and had given one to me and put one on her shoulder. She had customers coming up and talking to her which scared one of the birds and he jumped off her shoulder and landed tail down (because his tail feathers are currently just growing back in for some reason) which has caused him to bleed a little. The bleeding has stopped, but is there anything that I should watch for or be concerned about?

I am including some pictures of them, hopefully they upload correctly. They currently are playing with the ball/bell toy that you can see in the pictures and playing tug of war lol. They are suprisingly very quiet though. I was expecting A LOT of noise since I have been warned several times about how loud they can be lol. I'm guessing they are still warming up :eek: :rainbow1:

Attachments

• 2013-01-19 17.37.02.jpg
    2013-01-19 17.37.02.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 2013-01-19 17.37.12.jpg
    2013-01-19 17.37.12.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 2013-01-19 17.37.24.jpg
    2013-01-19 17.37.24.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2013-01-19 17.37.32.jpg
    2013-01-19 17.37.32.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
With owning two birds, how do I split up my time to give them equal attention? Do I take them both out and hold them both at the same time (if they will allow it) or do I work with them individually?
You can interact with them either way... but as mentioned, if you separate them, they may scream for each other. If both are tame birds, I would suggest interacting with them together.

Train individually?
Monkey see, monkey do. You can train one while the other watches. Switch birds and train the other. Once they get the hang of it, you can train them together.

As far as diet goes, from everything I have read, I know you want to give pellets, mixed fruits and veggies... what I am having a hard time finding is exactly what ratio I should be giving them as well as how do I feed 2 birds to make sure that both of them are eating?
The best diet is a controversial one, especially since different species may require different dietary needs, and this can be further complicated with individual needs.

A good pellet based diet with as much vegetables, some fruits, sprout seeds, grains, legumes and the occasional cooked eggs would be the way to go. If they enjoy them, you can even toss in some nuts!

I don't recommend pellets with dyes or sugars in them, although I have fed both in the past. I currently feed Harrison's as pellets.

Seperate dishes? Feed and sit and watch while they eat?
You'll have to decide this. If they can share a dish you can feed from one dish. If they fight and bicker over one, provide two or more dishes.

@weco - I will ask if they are from the same clutch but are you asking because there is concern of mating? I was under the impression that if you do not supply anything that encourages nesting that they will not mate.... is that incorrect!?
Two birds who want to mate will regardless of what's available to them.

She had customers coming up and talking to her which scared one of the birds and he jumped off her shoulder and landed tail down (because his tail feathers are currently just growing back in for some reason) which has caused him to bleed a little. The bleeding has stopped, but is there anything that I should watch for or be concerned about?
It's pretty normal for young birds to be clumsy with their tails...

Keep an eye on it, and if the feather bleeds again, you may have to pull it.

Gratz on bringing them home!!!!

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Oh dear! The rubber ball with the bell! That is my Sun's FAVORITE toy in the whole world. He will have that thing jingling all day wrestling with it. (also yelling at it lol)

Congratulations on your new family members :) I'm sure two Suns are quite the riot together. One alone is plenty of entertainment for me!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Congrats, they are beautiful. They are quiet now because a new home. After the honeymoon period they will get louder probably. The honeymoon period is when they are just getting used to their surroundings and are more subdued but it also is a great time to establish your routines and life together. Enjoy and you are in for so.much fun and joy!!!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Cindy, There are a lot of people who will offer any piece of information they might find an audience for.....right information, skewed information (information that has bits & pieces that serve a different agenda), outdated information, dangerous information and just plain wrong information & what you were led to believe, is just that.....plain wrong.....

In the wild, birds usually practice propagation of the species, using the generally accepted methods (for the most part), however, in captivity, any and all methods may be accepted by the parties and at whatever opportunity may present itself.....hence, you may find either enjoying the company of a stimulating toy or other object and/or each other. Now, if those two just happen to be a healthy, capable male and a healthy, capable female, there is a ninety percent chance that at some point, viable eggs will issue forth.

If these two become bonded, which has probably happened, separating them will most likely cause them to become a couple of screamers, until they are allowed back together, so unless he shoots blanks or you have a pair of the same gender, I would start reading up on how best to switch out eggs with fakes....there are several vendors that offer fakes, but only a couple brands pass muster with hens. If you get caught removing eggs, hens may replace them & that will tax her system, producing extra eggs in too short a time frame.

Please don't get me wrong, while I couldn't help with a little levity at your expense, there may be more of us, in this forum, than will admit they may have asked or thought the same thing...and...we all started at the very same place.....the beginning.....asking questions.....

Welcome to the world of being owned by parrots.....

:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts