New to forum and GCC parenthood!

GCC2012

Aug 12, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
GCC
Hi Everyone,
I'm in Melbourne and am new to all things parrots! We came home with our baby green cheek conure about 6 months ago and what an experience it's been! His name is Perseus and he is about a year old now.
At first Perseus seemed a bit unsure of his new home, he was very at my husband and actually aggressive towards me as in charging and then biting! We also had our share of feeding problems but have come through and I'm not sure what the aggression was all about but thank god those days are past!
After a few months he was well and truely settled and now is always lovely and snugly.
I'm not sure how to post a pic of my handsome man but will do when I figure it out!
I guess my only question to all you fellow parrot lovers is regarding time out of his cage. As I said I'm new to parrot ownership. We have a dog who is mainly inside too so Perseus is only out of his cage when the dog is not around. As we both work full time mon to fri he would be out for about an hour a day with more on weekends. Is this enough? He seems pretty independent and loves his toys. He doesn't yell or act out indicating he wants out and often after about an hour of being out he indicated he wants to go back home.
His cage is in the lounge where we all hang out so maybe we are there enough that he considers it enough 'flock time'. We go and chat with him and pat him often and he's even trained the dog to come and see him when he calls!
I guess he seems very happy and healthy, I've just read some ppl have their birds out 2-10 hours a day.
I'd love to hear about your parrots especially on this topic of time in and out of the cage.
Ps if I'm posting this in the wrong spot someone please tell me, new to parrots and forums!
Cheers!

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Hello welcome and congrats on getting a new feathered friend.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I would push for more time out of the cage than that, the dog will adjust to the new routine.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Welcome to the forum! It seems you have a great bird! With my bird Pancho, he comes out of the cage as much as possible. Its better for him in the summer. When I have school he is in his cage from 6 to 2:30 and I hate that. When he is out he usually likes to cuddle me, eat out of his bowl, take naps, have a bath, or just help me type out comments on the forum! ;) Right now he's curled up in my hair! :) So have fun and give him as much outside time as you can give him!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
welcome and congrats on your baby of course the more time out the better but it sounds like he is ok with what you are giving him. My birds each get 1-2 hours out of the cage just alone with me and then spend most the day once im home from work just playing on their playgyms outside the cages.

OP
GCC2012

GCC2012

Aug 12, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
GCC
Thanks for all the posts guys! Maybe I will try and get him out more on weekdays in 2 'shifts' as after about an hour he seems keen to go back home.

Also some big news, his feathers have just grown back enough that he had his first fly the other day! I've been trying to encourage him to keep practicing but he really doesn't seem keen on trying it out more, which seems bizarre coz if i could fly I'd probably hardly walk anymore! My husband and I are calling him with his fav treats and he obviously knows what we're after, he looks like he's just on the verge of taking the plunge and then backs off. Maybe it's a confidence thing?

I've been googling heaps of forums and websites regarding what I CANNOT feed Perseus and seem to more confused every time I look. I get the obvious like avo, alcohol etc but when I google some other specific foods I get mixed messages. This has happened with spinach, Papaya & Paw Paw so far and has got me so confused I haven't let him try them. I don't wanna risk his health with fruit but feel bad I can't offer him these things as he just LOVES his fruits!

Does anyone know of an 'official' website that tells it straight when it comes to fruit and veg?

Also Antoinette I can't figure out how to post pics! I wanted to enter Perseus in the Pic of the Month thread as he looks hilarious after bathing but I can't figure it out, this is my first time on a forum.......obviously! I can't work it out!

My profile pic (avatar?) is my man Percy caught with a stolen clothes peg!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If he has the ability to fly (i.e. enough flights) then ask him to go to you in a much shorter distance!

Flight is natural, knowing how to fly is another story! It's complicated and is much like an infant learning to walk. It may be natural for them to eventually stand up, but putting one foot in front of the other and keeping balance can be a difficult learning process! Knowing how to speed up and slow down without getting hurt.... Well, for parrots, it's even more in-depth! Flying up, flying down, turning/banking, landing, flying against wind, flying in wind, etc.

So ask for him to do a very short hop or a step up instead and slowly increase the distance until his confidence in his abilities grow!

And grats on your baby being able to fly!

OP
GCC2012

GCC2012

Aug 12, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
GCC
Thanks MonicaMC - I guess I never thought of it as being that complicated but it must be quite a process for the little man!
He'll jump about 4 inches with full confidence. When he flew a couple of days ago it was about 1.5 meters and completely out of the blue!
Since then I have been trying to get him to fly about 1ft but have had no luck. What you're saying makes sense though, I will try getting him to go about half that distance when I get home and see how he goes. He was so proud of himself when he did fly he must've been shocked too!
I've just worked out how to post some pics so here you go...:green2:

Attachments

• My man Perseus.jpg
    My man Perseus.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 107
  • peek-a-boo.jpg
    peek-a-boo.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 113
  • super cute close up.jpg
    super cute close up.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 116
  • drowned rat Perseus!.jpg
    drowned rat Perseus!.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 93

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
He's cute!

The main thing is is to try and not ask him to fly further than he is comfortable flying. If you do, you need to make the distance shorter until his confidence builds up.

I know this will probably sound silly, but parrots can probably be afraid of heights, too! Flying up is natural to them, flying down can be a lot more confusing and difficult for them.

OP
GCC2012

GCC2012

Aug 12, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
GCC
Thanks MonicaMC, I thought flying down would be easier just for gravity's sake I guess. I'll go much shorter distances and now on an upward angle.
He hasn't flown again since, if there is any way to get where I'm asking him to go on foot he figures it out before I do and then he's running up my arm again! Such a funny man, well take it nice and slow, I think he's adorable when he's 'trotting' towards me anyway!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
They remind me of ducks when they run.... they just waddle! LOL

If you read stories of parrots that get lost outside and they get high up in a tree, some of them mention that their parrots try to come down, but often fail to do so, like they can't figure out how to fly down. This is because in many homes they don't get the chance to learn how to fly down. Flying straight and up is more natural to them than flying down is, especially from heights.

If you are interested in training flight then you may enjoy this Youtube channel! It has some great information and tips for having flighted parrots!

flychomperfly's channel - YouTube

Most Reactions