new to forum and have adopted a harlequin lots of questions please help?

kbuchanan2

Sep 13, 2012
Parrots
Adopted a harlequin macaw september 2012
Hello, Im excited to have found this wonderful forum. Im new to forums as ive never used one in the past. We have adopted a harlequin macaw named Henry..hes only been in our home for about 5 days..have a few questions for you gurus out there:
Picked up from inside cage and readily comes out to plah from day one.
Doesnt seem to enjoy showers ?
Very very sweet talking some. Previous owner has no paperwork and tells us hes three years old...is there anyway to figure this out even within 5 years or so of actual?
-eats from hand and eats very very well.
-has spoken several word..but ive never heard him scream? Is this normal or due to new sorroundings? Right now hes juwt the sweetest guy you could ask for.

Leg bands...his has only 2 letters which dont represent a state and the numbers 016 on it is there anyone who has came across this before?

Last one for this thread... ive heard vet trips are stressing for these guys st times but would like to have a wing trimming and bloodwork...how long would you allow him to become comfy with ourselves and his new sorroundings first?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:) There are lots of Macaw Owners here that will be happy to answer your questions.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Welcome to the forum, Trying to tell the age of a macaw is hard without having paperwork or knowing the previos owner or breeder. You can check the eyes, if they are more black then pale yellow, your macaw is approx 5 years old, If you can see lots of Pale yellow color, you have a older macaw. The age of the macaw is not that important as they have very long lives.
You stated that your macaw has a leg band, the letters and numbers on the band are from the Breeder and you can use the leg band to track down it's original owner/breeder.
When a Macaw first enters it's new home, it takes time for them to adjust but the most important thing here is, that you must get your macaw onto your arm within the first 48 hours of your Macaw being in your home.
I do not know if you have Macaw training or not.
Try to move your forearm close towards the lower belly and ask your Macaw to step up, see if they know this command, if they do, they will step up onto your arm. If not, press gently but firmly into their lower belly and ask them to step up. Always use the words step up or step down so the macaw can learn this command.
Hold your Macaw close to your body so they feel safe, Keep them away from your fingers and face.
If they step up always reward them with an almond or favorite treat.
Clipping their wings should be performed by an Aviary Vet only and this is also the case for nails or sometimes their beaks if they are not chewers.
Clipping the wings is best for your Macaw so they cannot fly into objects in your home or harm themselves.
Please ask many questions and we all will try to answer them asap. Best of luck Joe

OP
K

kbuchanan2

Sep 13, 2012
Parrots
Adopted a harlequin macaw september 2012
Joe, sorry for the delayed response and thank you for the feedback. He is doing (i think) great..going on second week of being with us. Speaking in front of us more and more these last few days. May bark a time or two but steps onto arm from within cage everytime. When outside his cage jes also great..he allows us to pet him anywhere..beak..belly..feet..back etc. One question i do have..ive noticed in the pasf couple days on the white part of his skin on mouth he has a couple bimps in there that appear to be yellowish though this was old food at first howevrr not so kuch thinking that now..seems to be in or under skin? Dont bother him any as he lets me touch it etc...just curious what this may be?
Thanks again for your help.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Bumps under the skin on the face of the Macaw should be looked at by your Vet. I don't think you have anything to worry about but it's always best whenever something appears to be different physically or if your Macaw's behavior changes.
If your Macaw is sick, All birds hide being sick very well and once you notice them not feeling well, normally it is too late so better safe then sorry.
The facial skin should be clear and smooth to the touch. The bumps could be calcium build up so perhaps changing their diet may help on this issue, but better left to your Vet to check it out.
Glad to hear that your macaw allows you to pet them, hold them.
Your bonding with the Macaw and this makes life easier for the Macaw while it adjusts to your home and their new surroundings. Best of luck and keep us posted. love to see pictures of your macaw. Joe

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to our wonderful forum
000204AE.gif

Great that you have adopted Henry, harlequin macaws are awesome

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Welcome and congratulations!

When I had Puck, he wasn't too stressed out by vet visits (which he had quite a few of :(). He didn't like procedures (blood drawing, grooming, etc) and would scream and fight like he was being murdered, but got over it quickly once it was over. He was very social and loved meeting new people, so he was happy to get all the attention, lol.

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new macaw.
Clipping wings should be done by an "aviary" vet? I believe you mean 'avian vet'. Clipping wings is a personal preference. Macaws do not necessarily "fly into objects in your home or harm themselves" I keep all of my birds flighted. It is healthier for them, and they do just fine. They NEVER run into objects or harm themselves.
I disagree with "pushing your arm firmly into the belly" to get the bird to step up. Just ask the bird to step up. If he doesn't, wait a few moments and try again. Never force a bird to do anything unless it is an emergency. Your bond and trust is something that needs to be worked on slowly, over time.

Most Reactions