New to forum (and to parrots)

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2009
Southern USA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (gray)
Hello everyone :)
I have just gotten my first parrot, an indian ringneck. His/her (don't know yet!) name is Willow. I tend to call him/her a "him" so that is how I will refer 'til I know otherwise! He is 4 months old and beautiful.
He has only been with us for a day and a half and is okay if I stand beside the cage, but if I reach my hands inside he climbs the walls to get away. I have been practicing with just resting my hands inside the cage, as long as I don't move them he calms down and goes about his business. But if I move he is right back up the wall! I know this will take time (I want him to come to me, not me have to chase him down), I just don't know if I am going about this right? I hope so!
I was also wondering about his food...the breeder gave me a seed,pellet, dried fruit mixture that I guess is what he's had and he seems to like eating it. Should I let him have this all day long or just feed him at certain times and then take the food away after a while? It seems like he has been "grazing" on his food all day and I am worried he's eating too much?
Thanks!:D

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
Sounds like he's eating fine to me. It is natural for birds to "graze" on their food all day, so there is no need to take it away for part of the day. Just make sure to feed him FRESH fruits and veggies also. My indian ringneck was timid, but all I did was kept on doing what your doing with your hand, but I did it 5 times a day at 2 minutes each time. Also once "he" calms down, try feeding him some peanut butter on a wooden chopstick if your little Willow is too afraid to eat from your hand. Soon he will come to expect your hand in the cage, so maybe you can pet his feet a little, which leads you to being able to teaching him step-up! Good luck with your birdy friend!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Elizabeth your bird is beautiful !!!! :grey:
It may take the bird time to settle down, new family, new environment, and the cage . Birds scare easily, sudden noises or sounds.
Sit near the cage, keep talking to him. He must first gain your trust.
It might take a while, lots of patience.
Later on when taking him out, try uppies on a stick.
Good luck
Let us know how he is doing
Great day

Last edited:
OP
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2009
Southern USA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (gray)
thank you:) He is making slow progress. I have been working with him for 5 mins or so at a time and today he is less jumpy about my hands being around. He even (hesitantly) took some treats from me today--I was thrilled!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great to hear Willow :grey: is making progress.
Day to day, you will encounter small changes,
You doing a great job, keep it up
You will be thrilled each and every day
Great day

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Love the name you picked out. Being a parrot guardian takes lots of research also. There is a wealth of reading material for you to learn from. A is right, you need lots of patience. The bonding process takes time. If you are in a hurry and get frustrated believe me the bird will know it. Instead of a hand in the cage try a small perch for him to get up on or Uppies as A called them. We are here for you when you have questions or concerns. Seed should be a treat, not a meal. Read up on their diet requirements. Good luck!!

tukibear

Dec 19, 2009
staatsburg ny
Parrots
african grey
hello
im dee and im new to this site. my african grey byron died about 6 weeks ago and i am devistated he was my best friend. i had him for 21 wonderful years. owning this bird was a wonderful and bonding experience i have never felt so much pain in loosing an animal. i cant tell you how wonderful he was. i miss his whistles, his burps (lol) and his crazy antics. im hoping i can make some friends here have a wonderful christmas

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So sorry for your loss
21 years if a life time
Such great memories
To treasure forever
Had a great home
A loving mommy
Was a very lucky bird
Be strong
:grey:

OP
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2009
Southern USA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (gray)
thanks everyone for your helpful comments :)
He's been with us a week today and I think he is settling down some. He is much less hesitant to take food from us through the bars but still a bit shy when your whole hand is in the cage. I will give the stick training a try I think.
I am not sure about his diet, I read conflicting things and am not really sure what is right. Exactly how much fruit and veggies should they have each day? I have been giving a few small pieces of broccoli, corn, carrot, and apple or mango (less fruit and more veg). I intend to mix it up week to week. I am just worried about getting all the right nutrients? And how much seed is "too much"?

Elena

Aug 20, 2009
Media
Albums
Wilkeson, WA
Parrots
2 SI Eclectus, Hahns Macaw, African Red-Bellied Parrot and Cockatiel
Tukabear - I am so sorry to hear about Byron's passing and your loss... I know it is not easy. I have gotten many calls from people who are devastated when they lose a companion and they are wanting comfort. And we have, at times, helped them find a new companion which is always a blessing to me when we can make a good match.

Elizabeth, how is your progress coming... I believe that proximity is the KEY... Be patient and remember the three different types of relationship with your bird and make sure that you provide all three: 1) 1:1 time, 2) talking and proximity to cage (in the room) but not 1:1 time hand time and then 3) talk to them when you are in different rooms but they can hear you.

Elena

OP
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2009
Southern USA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (gray)
Tukabear - I am so sorry to hear about Byron's passing and your loss... I know it is not easy. I have gotten many calls from people who are devastated when they lose a companion and they are wanting comfort. And we have, at times, helped them find a new companion which is always a blessing to me when we can make a good match.

Elizabeth, how is your progress coming... I believe that proximity is the KEY... Be patient and remember the three different types of relationship with your bird and make sure that you provide all three: 1) 1:1 time, 2) talking and proximity to cage (in the room) but not 1:1 time hand time and then 3) talk to them when you are in different rooms but they can hear you.

Elena

thanks for the suggestions :) After nearly 3 weeks he is finally stepping up (with the help of a food bribe of course). I am using a clicker too (don't know if it's making any difference or not). But I'm very happy he is stepping onto my finger now. I am not sure how to progress from this point to getting him out of the cage since he will only step onto my finger long enough to grab his treat and then hops back off. He will linger for a few seconds from time to time. Progress is exciting anyway!:D

OP
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2009
Southern USA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (gray)
I opened the cage top and put the perch up there for the first time today and it's going pretty good (I was too afraid to open it before for fear he would try to get on the floor or I wouldnt be able to get him back in). But he is doing pretty well and is even stepping up from the cage top and sitting on my hand (he looks a bit nervous when he does, but at least he's doing it!) I'm very excited and glad "being patient" is paying off :) I can tell he loves being up there.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Elizabeth,
It sounds like you're doing really well. It's amazing how quickly they begin to love you and vice versa.

Have you ever hear of Barbara Heidenreich? She's an animal trainer who produces some very good training videos Good Bird Inc. Companion Parrot Training Through Positive Reinforcement. My little Alexndrine had some issues when we got him, but using the suggestions on her DVDs helped a lot. In just a month or so of working with him every day, he was my "Maxi-Max" and now, 5 months later, is my bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts