New To Forum - Hello!

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Hi Everyone! I'm a first time Hahns Macaw owner, and new to the Parrot world. I have a 3 month old Hahns, and his name is "Teddy Vedder". He is wonderful, and loves to play and cuddle already. He was comfortable in his new home within a couple of days. He's a sweetheart.

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated :)

One thing i've noticed is he wants to come out ALL THE TIME. He is a baby, and needs lots of attention which my wife and i do give him, but as soon as he goes into his cage all he thinks about is coming back out. He jumps to the cage door as soon as we pass by and it seems to me that hes having a bit of "anxiety" about wanting to come out. Is this ok? Should i ignore him (I do ignore him so he can settle down)? He does have a couple of different size and color perches and a couple of hanging toys to play with.

Thanks!

Tom
:green2:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Foot toys too, don't forget them. You will notice which kind of toys he likes, wood, string, shredded paper, hard plastic, bells etc. Once you do, that's what you buy for him, no point in getting toys he won't play with.
I take Salty to the pet shop and let him pick his own toys out.
Play with them yourself and with him, to let him get the idea. Toys are multi purpose. Self entertain, coordination, color recognition.
Do you have a play stand yet? He should have one, where he can also go when you can't be with him immediately, but not left in the room alone. Salty has a plastic chain going cross the ceiling, to his play stand
actually a round rope boing, so he decides where he wants to play, and we hang a lot of toys from that too.

Remember, your little parrot is as smart right now as a 1 years old child.
Got kids?

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Wrench said!
And stay tune for support from a few other mini-macaw owners who hang out here.
Welcome!

P.S.
Love the name... Pearl Jam fan? Me, too.

Last edited:
OP
TeddyVedder

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Foot toys too, don't forget them. You will notice which kind of toys he likes, wood, string, shredded paper, hard plastic, bells etc. Once you do, that's what you buy for him, no point in getting toys he won't play with.
I take Salty to the pet shop and let him pick his own toys out.
Play with them yourself and with him, to let him get the idea. Toys are multi purpose. Self entertain, coordination, color recognition.
Do you have a play stand yet? He should have one, where he can also go when you can't be with him immediately, but not left in the room alone. Salty has a plastic chain going cross the ceiling, to his play stand
actually a round rope boing, so he decides where he wants to play, and we hang a lot of toys from that too.

Remember, your little parrot is as smart right now as a 1 years old child.
Got kids?

Oh yes,he has a few toys. His favorites are the wicker balls with confetti strings in them that he pulls out. He loves to shred paper and anything shiny. I did get him a play stand that hes not used to yet, but he is getting there. I did my research and do understand he is a baby still, and is temperamental like a child. I don't have kids, but completely understand what you are trying to tell me.

Thank you so much for all of your feedback, and look forward to any help and suggestions.

He is wonderful and sweet most of the time. One last thing...i really need to know what to do when he gets in his biting fits, which is usually in the evenings. I don't want to put him in his cage, so he associates it with bad behavior.

Thanks!

Tom

OP
TeddyVedder

TeddyVedder

Aug 30, 2016
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
What Wrench said!
And stay tune for support from a few other mini-macaw owners who hang out here.
Welcome!

P.S.
Love the name... Pearl Jam fan? Me, too.

Thanks so much! My wife and I are already in love with him :)

My wife is the biggest Pearl Jam fan, and already had his name picked out without even knowing she was getting him for her birthday at the end of August.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Fill his cage with toys, lots of different things and even some basic foraging activities. If you have already discovered a favorite food or treat, use that and make foraging balls, just take the treat, wrap it in a paper towel or napkin, tie with natural jute or paper rope. Tuck them around the cage, to begin, wedge in between cage bars so easy to find. A toy basket with different types of toys and even just easy stuff to shred or left over toy parts from mostly destroyed toys. And add in a few of the foraging treat balls.

And if your little guy is not sure how to play with some toys, like a child, sit down and play / teach them :) So many parrot homes we meet are surprised when we explain that you should teach your birds to play with toys that seem strange or not their favorite options.

Good luck and look forward to hearing your stories!!

Most Reactions