New to GCC

frankiesmom

Oct 29, 2010
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you. I am new to Conures. I have a wonderful new GCC named Frankie (not DNA sexed yet) so may end up as Fran! I did my research for about a year on forums and books, really anything I could get my hands on before I took the plunge (I have no other birds but used to own a cockatiel). My GC is (vet thinks) about 9-12 months old and lived at the pet store for all it's weaned life :( None of the ladies working at the petstore would take him out because he would bite them. I visited him at the store for about a month, going to see him and talking to him daily. I have had him for a week now and he seems to be fitting in our home quite nicely. He does love to bite me but also likes to come out of his cage (under strict supervision) and check things out. Frankie has our dog already trained and neither of them seems to be afraid at all. I am sure that even with all the research I will have tons of questions that I'm sure you all will be able to help me with. Sorry for the long post.

Jodi

Oct 1, 2010
East Coast United States
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Panini
Blue Crown Conure Amos
Hi & welcome! Lots of people here owned by green cheeks =) & I think Frankie is even a cute name for a girl! Dont forget to add some pics! we LOVE them

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hi there and welcome to our forum of bird lovers from all over the world. Conures are such clowns and yes nippy and loud at times. You have done your homework so that is a big head start.

OP
frankiesmom

frankiesmom

Oct 29, 2010
Thanks for the warm welcome Jodi! I kinda think that Frankie might work for a girl as well. I love your birdie names too! I know that GC are known to be a little bitey but I am hoping with time and continued bonding (it has only been a week and he has already scampered up my shoulder and buried his head in my collar) that he will reduce the biting. Maybe all those "hands" at the petstore for all those months has conditioned him to bite. It will be a fun and challenging process thru the years!

OP
frankiesmom

frankiesmom

Oct 29, 2010
Thanks Spiritbird! I have always loved Grey's but thought the conure would be more my speed at this time in my life. Someday "sigh". Trying to get Frankie switched over to Harrison's (petstore only fed Kaytee Forti Diet which is mostly seeds) pellets, and offering lots of healthy veggies & fruit.

This forum is such a wealth of knowledge and experience! It's so great!!!!

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
Welcome to ownership by a Green-cheek! I too am happy to call myself bonded to an adorable GCC named Mishka (we figured the name would work for either sex although I'm running on the assumption she's a female ;)) and also got her from a pet shop that didn't handle her for months. Three weeks later she's a bossy little thing, demands to always be on a shoulder or finger, and is totally a daddy's girl (and loves me too lol). They really are such sweet little things!!!

Last edited:

Jodi

Oct 1, 2010
East Coast United States
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Panini
Blue Crown Conure Amos
green cheeks IMO are the type of bird who if are weaned and hand tamed stay pretty much the same or get more mushy with constant attention but if theyre sent to a pet store, where they are not handled as much, (add on top of that the new place, new people coming and going all the time, new sounds, new animals) can regress quickly and it's like hand taming all over again. these little guys are super smart, adorable, and quite the little characters (not bias, swear lol). They absolutely love to be included in all family affairs and I'm sure with love time and patience yours will be the same.
I just uploaded a video recently you can find through my posts of my gcc during our night time snuggle ritual which shows you just how sweet and snuggly these little guys can be :)
good luck with Frankie & dont forget to add some pics!!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Welcome to the forum Frakiesmoms!:D It was wonderful to read about Frankie's journey to your home. You are going to be a wonderful mom and Frankie is sure a lucky guy.

I know what you mean about questions and questions, for some odd reason our parrots choose to not behave as the book says. :p Besides, the day that we stop learning is the day that we become bad owners.

Observing him is the only way to get to know him and then we use this forum to try and analyze what we have observed.

I know you will have a lot of fun here!:D

Most Reactions