New to macaws. Need a couple of infos

marvint

Oct 31, 2014
Hi guys im just new to keeping these magnificent creatures. Just wanted to ask some questions. First, is it normal for some macaws to have delayed feather growth? My bng is around 12weeks old based on what the breeder said was its hatch date. He's not fully feathered yet still has some bald spots on his chest where the feathers are still growing. His back is still covered by those gray feathers while some blue are coming in. He is around 900g now and already keeps flapping his wings. Im still handfeeding him 2x a day with fresh friuts and vegetables in between. Its worrying me knowing that if his age is correct he might be having late development. Most 3 month old macaws i see on the net are fully feathered. Thanks

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418179223158.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418179223158.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 202
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418179289610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418179289610.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 200

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)

All the baby macs I've ever seen were fully feathered by 12 weeks, including my Niko (also a Blue & Gold). Looking at your pictures, your baby seems to be a little younger than what the breeder led you to believe.

OP
M

marvint

Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for the welcome jerseywendy. Hope you're right. Lets just say he is younger than 12weeks. Right now he us always flapping his wings like he's fledging. Is that normal for a macaw thats not fully feathered yet?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, perfectly normal. :) Once their wing feathers are all grown in, they make very good use of them.

Has he taken his 'maiden' flight yet?

I'd suggest you not let him do excessive flapping right after feeding him, especially because you don't want him crashing into anything with a full crop.

OP
M

marvint

Oct 31, 2014
No maiden flight yet. He just love flapping his wings with his feet holding on to the cage.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I don't know much about this, but just wanted to say - your baby is so adorable! I love the second picture!! So cute.

Sicilysangel

Jun 3, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Parrots
Roscoe-Blue and Gold macaw

Abby- Green wing macaw
Piccollo- Sun Conure.

Fosterer of many diff species :)
Congrats to you!! Def a beautiful baby, and you will do a great job raising him. This forum has helped me alot, and ive become a very confident macaw owner since joining.

Most Reactions

Latest posts