New to parrots

newtoparrot

Jun 23, 2013
hastings
Parrots
Lui,green common amazon
Hi

I went to France about couple of months ago and looked around a marker and saw a green common amazon in a he'll of a state. I had to buy her to make sure she was cared for.

I've had her home for about 4 weeks, she's looking cleaner and much happier. She's obviously not handleable, she is starting to take from my hand confidently, so we are making huge progress ( eventhough I've never been near a bird of any description before, I'm learning).

She's starting to put weight on wonderfully. The problem I have is she seems to be itchy all the time.

She's bathing brilliantly and seems really happy. But I just don't know what to do about the itching.

Any ideas please?

Thank you

Susi:green:

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello Susi and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand what type of Amazon you picked up at a market in France. :confused: But THANK YOU for taking him out of a bad situation!! :) If you could post a picture of him, that would be EVER so helpful.

As for the itching, he may be getting new feathers, and the pinfeathers may be itching him like crazy.

There is also the possibility of mites. Are you able to take a super close look at him, perhaps with a magnifying glass to see if he has any tiny creepy crawlies on him?

OP
N

newtoparrot

Jun 23, 2013
hastings
Parrots
Lui,green common amazon
Hello Susi and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand what type of Amazon you picked up at a market in France. :confused: But THANK YOU for taking him out of a bad situation!! :) If you could post a picture of him, that would be EVER so helpful.

As for the itching, he may be getting new feathers, and the pinfeathers may be itching him like crazy.

There is also the possibility of mites. Are you able to take a super close look at him, perhaps with a magnifying glass to see if he has any tiny creepy crawlies on him?

I'm hoping. I've uploaded a picture to my albums ( so not techy at all).

She's terrified of the camera so she looms more distressed than normal. I did bring home 2, but unfortunately he didn't make it home.

I can't get close enough to look for mites, she's just to nervous still. She is amazing how confident.she's being. When I first got her home ifnanyone went within 3 feet of her she would do a distress cry. Now I can open her cage and she will take small treats from me. She actually stared playing with some of her toys for the first time today.

Am I correct thinking that parrots like other parrot company?if that's the case when she's 100% I will get her a friend.

If she has mites how can I treat them please?

Susi. :green:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A little orange wing amazon. Looks like there may have been some feather destructive behavior going on.

Sorry to hear the second one didn't make it! Before contemplating another amazon, please get this one to an avian vet first. I did a search for some avian vets, and I hope I have the information correct. You will need to call a head of time and make sure that these places are still open and that you can get an appointment with an avian vet.

Here's a list of avian vets in the United Kingdom. Hope there is one close to you!

The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Association

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back