new to quaker

kinfan621

Apr 28, 2020
Hi Everyone

I just got one yesterday and its about 3months old ,just want to know how to train it and how long need to take to start let him come out from the cage?

thanks

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome to the forum. It's not quite as much about training, as it is making Frei D's and building trust.

I'm going to add some links for you. And I hope you take time to read them, and explore the forum and read other stories from other posters even different type of parrots my h of all is the same. S d theses days we have less members posting some days as we all dealing with the pandemic.

First nonstick cookware can kill your bird even if it is on a different floor and behind a closed door. We have tons of these sad stories ever year. Birds are very sensitive to ma y airborne toxins, and they can just drop dead from them ! So read up
https://birdsupplies.com/pages/parrot-safety-10-household-dangers-that-kill-parrots

This is a great article. Instead of clicker I just say good bird, same difference , and easier than having to use a clicker, and your voic become the positive reinforcement.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
BodyTalk

Parrots scope you out to an extent you may not be aware of. The color of your cloth, the fluidity and speed of your movements, the eye contact you give them all affect the way a parrot will react to you. They are also quite slow in giving back or changing their initial impressions. It is always safer to let a strange or distrustful parrot come to you, rather than the other way around. I generally let all strange animals accept my disinterested presence for a while before I attempt to interact with them. If they make the first move, so much the better. Parrots tend to be highly conservative and distrustful of new objects and people. These things are best introduced into their lives gradually.

The Right Spot And The Right Cage

Many owners keep their parrots in cages that are too small. Parrots are active birds by nature and confinement to a small space can be sufficient stress in itself to cause psychological disturbances. Where your parrot resides needs to be more of a habitat than a cage, with multiple nooks, and perches of varying size and shape. Most perches are smaller in diameter than they should be. A parrots toes or toenails should never cover more than 50% of the primary perch’s diameter. An added benefit to large-diameter perches is that your parrot’s toenails will not have to be trimmed as often. If you place natural branches in your pet’s habitat, there will be plenty of smaller side shoots for the bird to play on should he wish to.

Parrots feel insecure when they are at or below eye level. So, for fearful parrots, try to position their cage so that their perch is about six inches above your eye level. The bars of the cage give fearful parrots a sense of security.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a great article!!!! Starts out covering basic bird behavior, then goes all the way to cover and explain negative behavior like bites and screaming. Well worth the time to read!

It's to hard to condense all the info that would be helpful to you without using these links! Do diy next to your parrot and read them outloud! That way you can start on building your bond while you read.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Most Reactions