New to this, here's my Macaw

Humzah78

May 27, 2013
Parrots
Just the 1, a beautiful blue and gold macaw named Jimbo
Hi, I'm new to this forum, im only 17, I have a Macaw that i've had for only 3 weeks now, but i love him sososo much and he loves my house, just thought i'd share some pictures of him with you guys :) im selling his cage ive purchased a java stand as i dont like him in a cage, it should be here soon and i'll upload pics when i can :)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJFMFGNg9VPm4BRon3HDWn!~~48_80.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJFMFGNg9VPm4BRon3HDWn!~~48_80.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 282
  • JIMBOOO.jpg
    JIMBOOO.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 285
  • PP.jpg
    PP.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 280

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hi you must be excited !! Nice looking bird :) I love his cage too [I wouldn't get rid of it ] Have both [you want whats best for him right ?] My macaw loves to climb his cage and hang upside down playing with toys. They need the activity. Being just on a java stand they wont be able to do this. What about having the stand next to the cage with the door open so he can climb back and forth :) I bet your bird would be one happy guy :).

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
He's a very beautiful bird! You must be so excited!

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
He looks great! Congrats. I agree with Pinkbirdy. If you have the room I would keep the cage. It's also a great way to keep him safe and out of trouble when you're not around. Anything can happen.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome
Your Macaw is gorgeous

I too would keep the cage, a bird always needs a "place" where they can fell safe and secure.
When going out, will the bird is left on the java stand, until you return?
Just asking as this could be a very dangerous situation for a bird to be left in.

Enjoy our wonderful forum

OP
Humzah78

Humzah78

May 27, 2013
Parrots
Thanks guys, hes only 10 months old, and i have 10 people in the family so there's always people home so i dont think he will be unsafe, he hates his cage to be honest but yes i am still re considering, just waiting for my stand to come, will come in a couple of days hopefully, i also have a metal stand for him which he's standing on in two of the pictures, i'm giving him everything he needs to be happy and so he is :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks guys, hes only 10 months old, and i have 10 people in the family so there's always people home so i dont think he will be unsafe, he hates his cage to be honest but yes i am still re considering, just waiting for my stand to come, will come in a couple of days hopefully, i also have a metal stand for him which he's standing on in two of the pictures, i'm giving him everything he needs to be happy and so he is :)

Wow 10 people in the house hold, that once busy home LoL
Hopefully they will all be interacting with your bird, in order to handle him should the need arise and you are not home?

Having had your bird for only three weeks take one day at a time. He is still trying to find his way around, and exploring his new environment. Perhaps the cage is to big for him at the moment, at a later stage he might love it.

:grey:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Beautiful little guy! I agree with the others. Having a cage would be a good idea. The older he gets the more mischief he could get into. You don't want him to hurt himself while unattended getting into something he shouldn't. Just something to think about! :D

OP
Humzah78

Humzah78

May 27, 2013
Parrots
He loves being handled and lets me stroke him all the time, he's gone quite used to me already, loves talking and the whole family feed him and cuddle him, he loves it all lool

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
gorgeous bird! it sounds like he's in a great home :)
macaws get pushy as they get older, so just be sure to set rules for him and practice training and socialization. If you do, you will have a well rounded companion for years to come :). Welcome to the forum!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I would also keep a cage handy. It cold end up being useful someday. I would leave Darcy uncaged (just on his cage), but he will actually attack dogs, so I can't do it if there are dogs in the house! Parrots can be very destructive too, so that is another reason leaving them unattended might not be a good idea...

You can have him out all day though! He looks very happy and healthy to me. I bet he loves his flock!

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Congrats on your new feathered darling. He is a gorgeous macaw!

Just a word of caution from a fellow macaw owner. Macaws are notorious for chewing up anything they can wrap their gorgeous big beaks around. Moreso than some other species of parrots. They also love to explore & don't always want to stay where you think they should be.

So whoever in the family is assigned to watch him on the round the clock watch will be busy at times corraling an unruly adolescent soon. Some sort of cage needs to be available for certain situations. The terrible twos are ahead of you still!

scottyR00

May 8, 2012
San Benito TX
Parrots
Blue and Gold
i also have a b&g. The word cage can have a bad meaning in some circles, however, both me and my macaw consider it his "home". it's where he goes to sleep when it's dark. He feels safe and secure, kinda like we humans consider our home or even our bedroom to be safe and secure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts