New to this

Eve89

May 21, 2017
Hi everyone I am new member and got Indian ringneck parrot who's about 7 weeks old, don't know gender yet but we call it Kiwi and refer it as male. Anyone knows what's appropriate time to wean a baby?

Attachments

• IMG-20170520-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20170520-WA0006.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 147

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Argh! Wrote a mega reply and lost it!
In short, 7wks feels to young and 12wks about right, but mine came to me at 6 and 8 months and I'm not a breeder. Are you handfeeding him/her?
IRN's are awesome parrots, Congrats :)

OP
E

Eve89

May 21, 2017
Thanks for reply yes I am handfeeding him with a spoon and I think he's boy cuz can see shade of darker feather appearing around his head and under the beak which I didn't see before and ofc it's too early to get it's colour yet :) today he took his first flight I was so surprised

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I hope you can get help from the place you bought him. Hand-feeding has always sounded so complicated to me... and every now and then we hear a story of some terrible mishap.
You can use the SEARCH tab above to read about hand-feeding. I hope that helps.
Take care, and good luck to you and your wonderful new companion!

OP
E

Eve89

May 21, 2017
It's not hard at all to feed him :) man showed me how to do it and said should feed 2 times a day but he obviously is more hungry than that cuz in the mornings he doesn't eat much but afternoon and evening he's doing very well :) always checking crop and weigh him before and after meal.

Most Reactions