New U2 Non Stop Screaming HELP

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
I was going to pm this but I don't have the required 20 posts.

Hi there,

I'm brand new here and just reading threads and saw your thread about your screaming Cockatoo. This is going to sound nutty, but I am also in NY, though not near you, and I knew a Cockatoo named Sunshine 11 years ago, she (not confirmed) was 1 years old at the time and had the exact same cage as yours, except it had things you clip on on the sides of the spill tray to catch falling seeds, etc. She also had a huge screaming issue.

So I guess I was wondering if you knew anything about her past owners? I know my friend gave her up for adoption precisely because of the screaming issue- she didn't have enough experience to know how to handle it. This was on Long Island. I'm just wondering if by some chance this is the same Sunshine.....

~M~

OP
adellelauren

adellelauren

Sep 2, 2012
Endwell, New York
Parrots
Sunshine (Umbrella Cockatoo)
Einstein (Blue Male Quaker)
Apollo (Male Cockatiel)
Athena (Female Cockatiel)
Boreas (Male Cockatiel)
Eros (Male Cockatiel)
Sparta (Male Cockatiel)
Well I'm not sure but I was told Sunshine is 9 but he/she is not banded. I got Sunshine from Cheryl Mortise who is 2 hours away from me in Rome, N.Y.
According to her she had Sunshine for 3 years and the previous owner for 7. I wasn't told anything about the previous owner though. The cage I believe probably at one point had the seed guard but not anymore. Sunshine is a sweetheart. Can nip here and there when over stimulated.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
I am only now reading this post and noticed you said your husband was going to repaint the cage but you can't do that. Any paint your husband can apply by himself would come off very easily. They need to be powder-coated and it needs to be a thick layer or the bird can chip it off and get metal poisoning from it.

I've had two umbrellas which screamed and I now have a Lesser Sulfur which screams (the other LSC does not - ever!) and I've found that the best thing to do is to put them on a strict schedule (when to come out, when to interact, etc) and never deviate from it PLUS let them out of their cage for hours (and I do mean 5 hours at least -I only do this during quarantine because my bird live cage-free). This takes a while to work but it does. Of course, the fact that my birds have other birds as company is what makes the most difference in their screaming because they only do it when they feel lonely.

OP
adellelauren

adellelauren

Sep 2, 2012
Endwell, New York
Parrots
Apollo (Male Cockatiel)
Boreas (Male Cockatiel)
Eros (Male Cockatiel)
Sparta (Male Cockatiel)
I have a friend that has redone cages and told me how to do it. As far as a schedule we do that. It doesn't make a difference. Sunshine will scream all day whether in or out of the cage. We have tried working on independence and the neediness is alot.

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Thanks for your answer Adelle. It would be a funny coincidence if it was the same Sunshine- she definitely was a sweetheart, but I think my friend had over-spoiled her and got her to where she just screamed constantly for attention. Regardless, good luck with *your* Sunshine :)

OP
adellelauren

adellelauren

Sep 2, 2012
Endwell, New York
Parrots
Apollo (Male Cockatiel)
Boreas (Male Cockatiel)
Eros (Male Cockatiel)
Sparta (Male Cockatiel)
Thanks for your answer Adelle. It would be a funny coincidence if it was the same Sunshine- she definitely was a sweetheart, but I think my friend had over-spoiled her and got her to where she just screamed constantly for attention. Regardless, good luck with *your* Sunshine :)

You should ask if you are still friends who she gave Sunshine to.

NeverBroken

Aug 22, 2013
NY
Parrots
Lola the U2
Unfortunately we lost touch after she moved out of state, but I think she had said it was either a bird rescue or exotic bird store in the area.

I was referred to this blog by another forum member regarding aggression issues in my cockatoo, and saw some stuff on screaming issues in it too, perhaps it could help you.

Rocky | Search Results | Lara Joseph

Most Reactions

Latest posts