new with parrots......help!!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Here's an example of a free-flight accident--and one that turned out okay (but many do not).
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4TJoTRZ7No"]The Accident We Never Saw Coming | Disturbing Footage || Mikey The Macaw - YouTube[/ame]

and this
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKY_begkgU"]MY PARROT NEARLY GOT KILLED ** THIS IS THE DANGER OF FREE FLYING - YouTube[/ame]

and this

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDpYwDKQ_A"]Bird of Prey Attacks Cockatoo - YouTube[/ame]
Any hawk can do this-- just because this was a zoo, doesn't mean a bird is safe away from the zoo...
last one for now :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSuy5iYPeQ"]I lost my parrot - YouTube[/ame]
The thing is, lots of people don't find theirs, no mater how hard they try. So this woman was VERY VERY lucky...and that is what you have to remember. Notice the harness when going home..

I can also say with confidence, that when I got Noodles, she bit me that hard more than once before we understood each other. We are so so good now-- like...she is a different bird...and I am different too...but I just want you to see how these highs and lows can happen even with a very happy bird...

Last edited:
OP
P

piamann

Oct 21, 2020
thanks a lot for taking time to explain so much in detail.....:)
will pay heed to your advice.....will settle Angel down first and see how it goes.
any recommendations for foraging toys to keep busy in cage instead of just putting food out there?
thanks a lot.
also is it ok to put him in outdoor aviary for daytime.....if weather isn't too hot..how many hours is ok??

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You can wrap things in coffee filters, you can get stainless steel fruit/veg kabobs that screw onto the cage. You can hide food in hanging toys, you can buy foraging toys that are like puzzles, you can make origami paper boxes. There are also lots of weird bird toy parts on mysafebirdstore etc where you can find things to stash food in. I would still put some food out there (I know she says not to) but you have to ease into this--- I always have some food out for mine and that is something we need to work on too (but she has always been a bit skinny and I honestly don't want her losing weight).
My cockatoo likes sticking her grape zupreem pellets inside of plastic straws and removing them herself lol (she invented this game, not me)--- not even sure she even eats them, but she enjoys it. Zupreem isn't the best food, but mine barely touches her pellets as it is, and those are the only thing she will even think about eating at this point, so I try to cook safe things for her and give fruit/veg (more veg than fruit if possible)..plus I do leave some healthier seeds and pellets in her cage at all times. Still a work in progress despite many years lol.
*careful using paper towel tubes or toilet paper tubes as the adhesive in some contains zinc* Again-- no boxes or any shadowy spaces they can fit their head in (no matter what you see some people doing). I would also avoid things that look like eggs unless they are hanging-- I see some people letting their birds play with ping pong balls etc and if they are hanging, I don't think this is so bad, but on the ground, they look a lot like eggs...

In terms of aviary- it depends on the temperature, direct sunlight and wind, disease outbreaks in local bird populations-- plus any other factors like a neighbor spraying pesticides or someone burning garbage.

If you keep a bird outside for long periods, you also will have to be more vigilant about things like mites, possible parasites etc (and make sure other birds aren't pooping on their stuff or messing with their food/them). It is totally situational but frequent check-ins don't hurt. Some people keep their birds out a lot, but I never have, so maybe they will chime in.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts