New words for Merlin

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
This morning she said, "I love you." Her previous owners had told me she never learned to say that, so I hope that means she learned it here. Now if she would just say it to Pete, he would be so happy:)

She also said, "And there I went." Lol! It sounds like a line from a novel. I'm not sure where she heard that. Maybe it was on TV yesterday, I don't know, and she liked how it sounded.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Don't you just love when they talk. I love it when Rosie takes some of the words she knows and puts them into a short sentence. Something else cute she is doing now every time I turn on a water faucet she says "want drink of water".

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
She doesn't say very much, so any new words she learns will make me happy. She has quite a repertoire of sounds she mimics and she can whistle some pretty long tunes. She can easily go on for more than an hour showing me her imitations and making me do them back. So hearing some actual words this morning was a pleasant surprise. Prior to today I've only heard "How are you?" which she says in this monster sounding voice and "Delilah" which she calls my cat. I think one of the previous owner's dogs had that name, as my cat is actually Sadie.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Yay! I'm just realizing that Puck's vocabulary is bigger than I thought. His voice is just s gravelly. This morning it sounded a lot like he said "pretty birdy".

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, Merlin has a new one this morning. She keeps yelling, "Owww!" and then starts laughing, using what appears to be my laugh. I'm pretty sure I haven't yelled "Oww" anytime since she's been here, so I think she heard it on TV last night.

She's also saying "I love you" on a pretty regular basis now and yesterday she said it in Pete's voice. If I hadn't been looking at her when she did it, I would have thought for sure it was him.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Isn't it great when they learn new words? I love when they string words together on their own. Even if they don't make a sensible sentence. Sometimes they only have to hear a word once, and they'll repeat it. If they like the sound. A favorite word that many will have is "poop". I think the "oo" sound is fun for them.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
that is so cute :), I am glad she is talking more and seems so happy and settled in :D

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
She did the "Oww!" routine about 50 times this morning already, lol!

Rowdy says, "Poop!" I was trying to teach her to tell me when she had to go, but it backfired. Now she goes and then says, "Poop!" like I didn't already notice, lol! One time when she was on top of her cage, she watched it fall down and yelled, "Bye bye, poop!" She is very good at making her own sentences, and so were my budgies. I've yet to see if Merlin and Pete will learn to do it, too. But they have both learned new words since coming here. I think Pete might be saying, "Hurry" when I'm in another room, but if he is, he must have already known that word. He is yelling to me, "Be right back!" when I'm in another room.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think she may also have said, "Pretty bird" but it was a little garbled. It may also have been "Pretty girl".

Most Reactions

Latest posts