new

lizsilk

Sep 2, 2007
hi all iam very new to this as got my first african grey today he is called tico and he is 4 years old he has been looked after very well but his owner has cancer and couldnt look after him anymore.
would like some advise about how to settle him etc and how to stop him plucking as he started about 2 weeks ago as his owner started chemo and couldnt give him as much attention
all advise welcome thanks
liz

ashley

Aug 30, 2007
Ontario
Parrots
a Brown-headed poicephalus parrot named Tucker!
Hi!
I would just like to welcome you to the board as a new member myself. I love grey's, I think they are very regal looking and beautiful. I wish you many happy times with your new companion!

I've heard that having regular opportunities to bathe/shower will help with plucking as well as an enriching environment. I am a big believer in encouraging natural behaviours and also recommend a visit to http://www.parrots.org and visiting their "About Parrots" section if you are interested in learning more.

There is also a really great free e-book out called the Parrot Enrichment Activity Book which has some really wonderful ideas on how to make creative, little to no cost and entertaining toys and activities for our little guys. I found the link for you, and you can read it and download a copy by going here http://members.shaw.ca/mavimet/files/PEAB.pdf

I hope these are helpful tips and ideas! Let me know what you think of those links.

Ashley and Tucker :)

OP
L

lizsilk

Sep 2, 2007
hi thanks for ur reply the websites helped a lot thankyou will try some of the ideas out thanks again
liz

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Welcome to the forum and to the crazy world of parrots!
Tyler, my grey, was a plucker when I first got him. He was in a similar situation, previous owner didn't have as much time for him and he started plucking. Once he settled into his new home with a better diet, bunches of toys and more attention, he stopped.
I would get Tico checked by a vet, if possible, just to make sure it isn't related to a health problem and then just let him know you love him..slowly but surely :)
Good luck!!

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
From what I know of Grey's, they tend to be on the more neurotic side. Not saying that all Grey's are....just...a few. Since the plucking started when the previous owner started chemo, I wouldn't think it's a health issue, more of an environmental one. If you feel that it would be best to take him to the vet by all means do it though

This might be one of those Grey's that has been in a routine for years and now it's disrupted and the bird is upset, leading to plucking. Find out from the previous owner what Tico's schedule was and try to replicate that as much as possible.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Oops! Where are my manners?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

We've also got a few other people on here with Greys, so I'm sure they'll be on shortly to help you out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts