newbie and questions (LOTS)

Lizardstone

Dec 27, 2011
Hi all~
I am the proud new human to a six month old green check conure named Moku. I have wanted a conure for years but I have been busy with my 2 very senior greyhounds. Now that I have more time, my husband gave me Moku for Christmas and I simply adore him but he HATES me. I know he is a baby and from a petshop but I do not think this little guy has had any human interaction. He puffs up and head bobs when someone walking into the room and tries to attack me when we feed him. I am a little worried to even open his cage for free play because I know he will fight me to go back in.

What should I do to make him more comfortable? I just started covering him at 8:30 pm for night night and I wake him up with me (7:00). If I dont cover hm before then, he grinds his beak. I know it takes time, it just breaks my heart to see him so uncomfortable.

He was in a solo cage behind plexi with his sister next to him. They didnt share a cage but could interact. :green2:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Give him (or her) time to adjust to you! Moves can be very traumatic for birds. Puck bit me a LOT when I first got him, despite being well socialized with his previous owner. He needed a lot of space to himself, and it took him a couple months to fully settle in. I don't know if your bird was socialized at the store or not, but even if it was, it can still take a while for it to get used to you. For the time being, I would give him his space, and be near him a lot (like in the same room), but don't push direct interaction.

I didn't do this with Puck, but when we first got cockatiels when I was younger, my mom would pin a millet spray to our shirts and walk around with the bird on our shoulder, so they associated us with fun snacks.

If you can take him out and play with him, that's a good sign. If you have trouble putting him back in, try doing something to make his cage more enjoyable for him. Does he have toys? Does he like his toys (sometimes birds can be scared of new toys)? Does he have a place to hide if he wants to? Bribing with yummy treats can also be a good negotiation tool, for going in the cage, playing with you, and for leaving the cage.

Beak grinding isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can take some getting used to, but birds tend to do it when they are comfortable.

I had a greyhound growing up. He was the sweetest, most mild-mannered dog ever!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
[FONT=&quot]Welcome, to our great forum, congrats with your new addiction.

Top on your list, a visit to an avian vet is a must. Let Moku be checked over, peace of mind for a healthy bird.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Moku must have time to settle down and adjust. Just imagine how many new things the bird has encounter. So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years. Each and every bird is so different.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to the bird. Let him become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars at first. When he willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually he will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch him. When he does come out, he will probably climb around on the cage. Let him explore in his own time. To get him back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.
Please keep us updated
Good luck

[/FONT]

Most Reactions