Newbie parrot owner from Florida

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw (RIO) 10mo
Hi everyone,
Been lurking for awhile and this is such a nice group figured I better register.
I previously owned a couple of Conures, (Sun & Nanday) but it's been about 25yrs plus since I've had a bird. And I've never owned a large parrot so this should be fun.:D
I rescued the Yellow Nape (ZaZu) :green:from a local hoarder, he is pretty good only had him 2 weeks, will let me pet him but that's it so far. He was kept in a small cage and hadn't been let out in over a year. I know with time he will get better. Poor bird doesn't know how to forage and is afraid of a lot of things.
The Cockatoo (Apollo):white1: I picked up on Sunday. He is friendly and talkative. The environment he was in was not the greatest, very dirty and nasty.He seems to have helped ZaZu with his talking actually he Whinny's like a horse, first time I heard that from him.

I took both to the Avian vet in Tampa to get checked out and have there nails and feathers clipped as it had been quite some time either bird had this done. Apollo gram stain was 80/20 vet says he likes to see 09/10 so I have mash that I add to there food and he said that should help.

I will have a lot of questions, but first wanted to introduce myself.
The cage in the picture I have 2, is it to small for the cockatoo? He came from a larger one 30x40x68 this one I have is 30x30x43. He seems ok in it but his old one seemed a lot larger.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0405 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0405 (600x800).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0406 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0406 (600x800).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0403 (586x790).jpg
    IMG_0403 (586x790).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 108

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm not a cockatoo expert, but IMO umbies need a bigger cage, like macaw sized .

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Cockatoos are very active birds, and do tend to enjoy a little more room. In the short term, that cage is fine, but you should plan to get a bigger one for him sooner than later:) The current cage would make a WONDERFUL outdoor cage so Apollo can enjoy the sunshine by that beautiful pool I see you have (easier to roll in and out than the size cage he needs as regular housing);)

Beautiful birds BTW. Both of them:)

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
Hey Groovie,
I live in Spring hill as well!BTW we do have a Vet who sees parrots up here,She has been great with my 2 Conures. Westside Animal clinic out on 19 by Spring hill lanes.

OP
groovieguy

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Thanks everyone, after I got that cage I thought he was a little to big for it. I got Apollo's cage from the owner but it was really nasty, had to keep it outside and pressure wash it and kill all the roaches that came out of it. I will return this cage and order a bigger one. His old cage is going out on the patio. Any suggestions on affordable large cages?

Thanks ErichT I went to Animal & Exotic Medical Center in Lutz. Dr. Tony is fantastic and he owns parrots too. I looked in the SH area and didn't see any that specialize in birds.

ErichT

Jan 5, 2014
Media
Spring Hill,Florida
Parrots
Mango - Sun Conure
Kiwi- Green Cheek Conure
They have cages and toys at the Outlet mall on 19, "the place by Chili's that used to be a Walmart" some of their prices can be a bit high but we found a nice shaped one there for our needs. Also Foster's exotic Pets down by Gulfview Mall has a selection worth looking through. That is where I got both of my Conures.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
kill all the roaches that came out of it

:eek::eek::eek:It may be a tad cozy of an arrangement for Apollo in the new cage but at least it isn't infested with ROACHES! Poor bird:( I'm so glad you took him. If he was living in a roach-infested cage, I would suggest he be bathed if you haven't already:)

I don't know locally where you could find cages (your on the other side of the country from me lol) but amazon usually has nice and affordable ones. Surprisingly, so does petco.com. A cage I thought was out of my budget from the manufacturer I found for much, much cheaper as the "everyday price" through Petco's website/ Even better, once we save up enough, we will be purchasing it from them and can pick it up at the local store:).

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Hey There :D I live right here in port Richey. Almost in hudson so were all super close together :D really neat! Welcome to the forum ^^

OP
groovieguy

groovieguy

Sep 9, 2014
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Seems like a bunch folks in my area.
I didn't even know there was a place in the indoor flea market, I think I have been in there twice. I will probably go to Oldsmar at everything birds on Thursday.

For any others in our area there is a sale tomorrow in Valrico, I talked to the guy today, it is stuff from a closed down Bird Store and he is selling a lot of bird toys, nothing over $4.00 here is the link.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Darn, i wish i could make it. I just can't spot more cash atm. Tight month with everything that happened

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and Welcome, Joe. Congratulations, both your birds are real beauties. Thanks for giving them a chance at a better life. I think your Umbie will appreciate a bigger cage, they climb like monkeys and use every inch of cage space. Have fun with your new friends.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
My best cage prices Ive found was on Amazon . Congrats on your new birds!!!!!! [they look great :)] Cant wait to hear how you progress with them.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Welcome Joe :) beautiful birds! Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks for putting where you're located :) Many people choose not to, but it's always nice to see... It's not like you're listing a home address lol.

Most Reactions