Newbie!

punkpoppyparrot

Aug 24, 2011
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello Everyone!

I am the newest of new when it comes to Macaw's or really birds in general for that matter. But I have done my research. I recently adopted my bird, Buddy (a blue and gold macaw) from a woman who was in a really bad situation.

This is my first bird.

I live in Holiday, Florida and I am self employed in homehealth.

Just wanted to drop in and say hello! Its great that there are these kinds of forums. As much as I have read and researched. Nothing quite prepares you for this until you experience it!

:eek:)

Angela19

Aug 9, 2011
New York
Parrots
Alexandrine "Mango"
Welcome, you will find tons and tons of info here. And good luck taking on a Macaw as your first bird. Don't get me wrong they are gorgeous, that beak just scares the crap outta me..LOL

OP
P

punkpoppyparrot

Aug 24, 2011
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
I am a little scared myself on the inside. That beak is pretty intimidating. But I am very confident when it comes to any animal.

I have already taken a few pics and will post them for everyone to see. He is a doll. But a little stand off-ish with me at the moment. But every time I walk by his cage, I talk to him and he wants to take a treat from my hand. But is still scared to do so.

Its a work in progress. But I am always ready for a challenge!

Angela19

Aug 9, 2011
New York
Parrots
Alexandrine "Mango"
Yes post pics, how old is he/she and whats his/her name. Don't rush it just give the both of you time to settle in and get to know each other. When I got my bird (much smaller) I sat next to his cage and worked on the computer or payed bills etc. just to be close to him without being intrusive. You will do fine it may take awhile but you will get there.

OP
P

punkpoppyparrot

Aug 24, 2011
Holiday, FL
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Buddy is 6 years old. He is male or so they believe him to be. He looks like a buddy to me so I am fine with that.

He has had two previous owners. The last one probably being the most stressful. She just couldn't care for him properly. I will be his last owner however through the good and the bad.

I do have some questions but they are probably best asked in other topics.

Thank you for such a warm welcome!

Most Reactions