Newly adopted Amazon - need help what to feed him

mcmalott

Sep 11, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Parrots
Vos Eclectus - male - Simon
YN Amazon - female - Lamont
About a month ago we adopted a 25 year old yellow naped amazon when we got him he was what i would call a junk food parrot! Lived for cheetos and fritos! He also lived on seed with sunflower seeds and peanuts in it. Now i know from my research that this is not a healthy diet. I tried switching him to pellets - 2 different types - i tried mixing and in a seperate bowl - wet and dry - he will not eat them - this has been going on a month. I have tried fruits, eggs and veggies - he is interested in carrots and a little in apples and that is it!

Please help me - he can not live on seeds/nuts and be healthy - and yes the vet said he is overweight!

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
What helped me get my YN's into pellets was to crush them and coat thier favorite fruits or veggies with them like you would coat fried chicken. Also i make something called peanut butter playdough. Which is organic peanut butter, quick oats, whole pellets, dried fruits or raisins an a few seeds to make it seem familiar.I also add a little whole wheat flower to make it a wee more malleable. Then i stick it on the bars like a ball and they pick at it at thier own leisure, not realizing they are eating pellets at all. =)

Last edited:

Most Reactions