Newly adopted Yellow Naped "Concerned"

LeoJasperZon

Jun 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
yellow naped Amazon
Okay so I am working towards my degree in Marine Science, well I recently moved to Florida from Kentucky in the U.S a few years ago. Since then I've been searching around to help further my education, and I was fourtnate enough to volunteer as a assistant bird keeper at our zoo in Jacksonville. I have adopted, or so and payed $500.00 for a double yellow amazon from a Cuban. I did some research and pretty sure he is a yellow naped.. Not even sure if he is male or female yet.. I have him in a nursery in my home for a few days, hear him mumble a few deep voices??? But that's is it, he doest scream or mimic anything else, I tried music, etc... But he will come to with a glove, if I use bare hands he trys to bite me. The owners say he is about 10 years old. Under his wings and feet area look bare some what, is that normal, maybe a molt? Not sure, as I haven't had an avian give a full exam yet. He seems healthy just not active.. He eats, likes to be sprayed with water, I assume he love showers lol!!!

Last edited:
OP
L

LeoJasperZon

Jun 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
yellow naped Amazon
I'll post more pictures if needed, so far he is adjusting to nursery avian room I made for him.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, your new family member is most definitely a Yellow Naped Amazon, and a magnificent one, too. :D

Depending on how reliable the former owner's story about your Amazon is, there is really no way of telling how old your buddy is. ;) Seeing his super extensive yellow coloring on his neck, he may be "a bit" older than 10.

I'd get him to an avian vet and have him assessed thoroughly. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. hard to guess if boy/girl, but IMO a parvipes subspecies yellow nape. Loads of good info here on keeping your zon healthy and happy. Hope to see you around.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Welcome! Regarding him being quiet, I'm sure with a little more time he'll start showing his personality. Get ready though, mine has decided he must scream when we are talking, then he's quiet when we are quiet. It's like having a 5 year old copying you, but it's funny too. Enjoy him, he's beautiful too and just keep working with him. Every day will show a little progress. The members here are fantastic and have given me great information. Have fun and good luck! What's his name?

OP
L

LeoJasperZon

Jun 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
yellow naped Amazon
Hi thank you Taw ;). His name is Jasper and been looking for avain vet all morning there's only one bird doctor!! Can't get him in until next week :(. Thanks for welcoming vme here.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new YNA!

As others have said, you can't tell it's a boy or girl unless you have it DNA tested, but unless you are planning on breeding, it really doesn't matter. Male and female amazons have similar behavior. Looks like you've made good progress if he's willing to step up to the gloved hand. Patience is a virtue with these 'older' rescue birds. It took a while before our adopted BFA would step up to a bare hand. I used the glove or stick until he was ready to come to my bare hand and it saved me a lot of bites while we built trust. He looks pretty calm and content on the glove, so no worries about using it while you get to know each other. It seems to be rather common for amazons to be quiet when they come to a new home and 'find their voice' again once they've settled in:) Amazons are loud by nature, so enjoy this quiet time to get to know your bird. Once he's gotten used to his new home and starts trusting you, he is going to express his joy in life vocally:D Best of luck with your new bird and hope to see you around.

Edit: Just so long as you can get him into an avian vet at some point, it's fine. He doesn't sound like he's ill, so all your basically doing is establishing a patient file on him with the vet and looking for any long term type issues that need to be addressed sooner than later (such as a issue related to poor diet in the past home or something), but any kind of health issues in an bird displaying no signs of illness would be very unlikely in the 10 y/o age range. I'm sure he will be fine until the vets appointment next week:)

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Very beautiful! Give him/her some time, he will come around. Talk a lot to him, I find that helps, singing too! :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hi thank you Taw ;). His name is Jasper and been looking for avain vet all morning there's only one bird doctor!! Can't get him in until next week :(. Thanks for welcoming vme here.

Only one AV? are you in the Jacksonville area?

OP
L

LeoJasperZon

Jun 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
yellow naped Amazon
Yeah it's the exotic bird hospital in Jacksonville, other AV's see smaller birds only.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
He/She will come around. I fostered an amazon long ago who was terrified of the bare hand. Didn't mind the gloved hand which is odd. Anyway, your Amazon will come around. Spend quiet time around him. Since you are going to school and I assume you study a lot, do so near the cage. Eat your meals where he can see you and be sure to sit lower than he is. Since you bought him from a Cuban I wonder how much Engish the bird has been exposed to? When I first purchased my Orange Wing many years ago, he was quiet but prone to outbursts of Spanish. And he was fond of men with beards.

Older birds are like a locked treasure box. You never know what is inside until you find the right key. My Yellow Head has called me by several different names. This week my name is Betty. Last month I was Red. And she has three distinct voices: An English accent, a man's deep voice, and an old lady's feeble voice. While she's not the lovey-dovey type she sure does enjoy being a diva!

Good luck with yours. With time he'll come around.

OP
L

LeoJasperZon

Jun 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
yellow naped Amazon
Thank you, funny your companion calls u different names lol.. Well about his cage, its too small, so I made a room just for him and me. And I keep his cage open, he isn't wing clipped, he will fly around like he never flown before, but will sit on the rope I made for him, in my other post, which is an updated version of his status. When he do fly he bumps into window and the cage or hit the floor...! Am thinking ouch he gonna hurt himself. Would love some advice on makeing homemade toys, and wood branch's I can use for him, I have many trees I will be trimming soon, big branches. Is there a certain type that shouldn't be used, and am not wood working guy, how do you cure the wood pieces...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
When he do fly he bumps into window and the cage or hit the floor...! Am thinking ouch he gonna hurt himself.
He very well could hurt himself! You either need to teach him not to fly into things or put something over or on the windows to prevent him from flying into them! The following Youtube channel has some great videos of having flighted parrots in doors!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVwmN438zeXbzgGRq_1BlQ

Would love some advice on makeing homemade toys, and wood branch's I can use for him, I have many trees I will be trimming soon, big branches. Is there a certain type that shouldn't be used, and am not wood working guy, how do you cure the wood pieces...
Here's a website with a list of safe and toxic trees, which also has a link on how to make bird perches.
Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

You can buy rope perches at this website, although it may be cheaper to buy the rope and make the perches yourself.

Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages

These are great website for some DIY toy ideas!
CheepParrotToysNTips...Welcome!!!
The Toymaker DIY Bird Toys- Make Your Bird Toys. Exotic birds & parrots bird toy ideas.

These are wonderful website for foraging ideas and enrichment!
Foraging for Parrots
Parrot Enrichment

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
When he do fly he bumps into window and the cage or hit the floor...! Am thinking ouch he gonna hurt himself

I had an Amazon for 20 years (and my father had the same bird for 20 years before the bird was passed to me)

He was such a heavy little bird I was always scared of him hurting himself from jumping and crashing, I would trim his wings about once a year, I just wrapped him in a towel and had my son hold him while I held the wing with one hand and a slight trim with the other hand

Many months after the flight feathers grew back he would still be much calmer, so once a year or so is all it took to protect him

NOTHING is worth having the bird get injured..... Then it is too late...

All the best !!

Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts