Newly rescued two scarlet macaws

Sworthy

Nov 16, 2017
Baja, mx
Parrots
2 neglected macaws
Hi
I'm in the process of rescuing two birds, my neighbors are also in volver in taking and/or finding homes for these beautiful birds! The lady is dying of cancer and has 9 along with 30 cockatiel's
I am taking on beautiful one that was crushed in the shell two days before hatching. He has no bottom beak and only a partial upper. The other one is a sweet thing with hardly any feathers as it has plucked itself for quite some time😪 I'm just curious if the feathers will ever come back given the proper nutrition and lots of attention? Thanks for any help here🙏🏻:red1::red1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you, and thanks for taking two challenging birds!

Is the one with a deformed beak able to eat on its own? They are so capable of adapting!

The bird with long-term plucking issues might never regrow in certain areas. Once the feather follicle is destroyed, nothing besides skin will regenerate. Depends on the time factor.

Mindy

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
Finnegan the Timneh, Chicky the Cuban Amazon and Fanny Featherbottom the house chicken.
Hiya! My personal experience is that once the plucking is established it becomes habit. Sometimes my Timneh doesn't chew much, sometimes he does. At one point he had his tail feathers chewed off but they're back now. You probably already know this, but it's important for your avian vet to rule out and medical issues first. You may never have a fully feathered bird but I know you'll love him/her anyway : )

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bless you and your neighbor for trying to help these helpless animals. Welcome to the forum. If its about Macaws of any type, read everything from Birdman6666 who is extremely knowledgeable about Macaws and rescues. Thanks for taking these 2 Special Needs parrots into your home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts