Newt Tank cover coming along nicely

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So I got the framework for the tank cover done yesterday:D. The whole thing will slide over his tank like a tissue-box cover so it will be easy to remove to feed him and clean the tank itself. I will be painting the edges that will still show after I get it covered in "sticks" a moss texture to keep with the whole woodsy look. Now I just have to figure out how I want to make the roof:11: I have to have some screens in it so that air can get down into the tank (newts are air breathers), but I still want to keep the overall look I'm working on. I'm thinking I'll integrate the screens into the sides and back, but will definitely have to do some sketches to figure out the best way to do that without making them stick out too much in the overall design. Still have to figure out whether to run a small LED strip or put in a "skylight" on roof. They don't need sunlamps like reptiles (and in fact enjoy lower light) but the new cover is going to really cut out the ambient light, so I'll need to put something in to be able to see him. I also need to make a screen for the top of the tank. He has a bamboo placement over it now that keeps him in, but if he DID ever decide to try and escape, I wouldn't want him to get up under the kind of roof I'll be putting on the new cover, so that's another part of this project that's going to make my life more difficult than expected;)

All this for a newt! I think I'm going bat crazy (though I do LOVE challenging projects, even if they really don't serve any good purpose beside looking nice):30: My husband just rolls his eyes every time I come up with a new "project" because I'll spend months planning, designing and constructing. Last summer, it took me weeks to figure out and design what I wanted for the custom aquarium stand I have his tank on:52: I'll have to post pics of that too when I finish the tank cover. It's very cool, I made it so it looks like an actual aquarium, less the real fish and all the hassle. Or when I made our faux fireplace out of moving boxes and textured wallpaper (you cannot tell it's not real until you look really close), or the LED-lighted ottoman or the custom glass-top farm-style dining table with interchangeable center inserts for different season:32: Ok enough rambling, here's my frame-

The inspiration that set this whole project in motion:
mAu28aX_z-eO0y3eZ0gadhg.jpg

DSC_3562_zpsc48c5155.jpg

(Semi-assembled)
DSC_3563_zps3c872629.jpg

(Assembled)
DSC_3564_zpsb5053665.jpg

(A perfect fit)

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
GREAT job of putting the frame together!

And I can sure see why that photo inspired you. It looks AWESOME!!! :D

No..it's not "just" for a newt, it's for the spectacular Mr. Newt. :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
GREAT job of putting the frame together!

And I can sure see why that photo inspired you. It looks AWESOME!!! :D

No..it's not "just" for a newt, it's for the spectacular Mr. Newt. :D

I loved that bamboo tank too, but it was almost $300 (for a tiny fish tank!) when it was listed for sale on ebay! I'm a tad OCD with my decorating and having everything look beautiful and deliberate, but I don't have the budget to go buy unnecessary expensive things- So I figure out how to make them instead;). I have never liked how the newts tank looked as it is just the most basic possible tank, so I'm thinking this will be a much nicer look. It will end up costing under $50 total all said and done and be 100% custom and as crazy as I am, will probably turn out more intricate AND flawless than a factory could make it :D Even smaller projects like this make me SO excited.....:32:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it completed:) mr. Newt will feel like he hit the lottery!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Kiwibird, you're a woman after my own heart! I love doing just this sort of thing and really thrive on the idea of making something unique for <<<$$$. I think you're going to wind up with a most well-appointed residence for Mr Newt, who is, as we all agree) a Superior Newt. I think it's grand that he'll be living in style and not in a bare, functional dwelling. Do keep us posted. It would also be sorta nice if you could post pics of your other projects as well. Y'know... for those of us who are dyed-in-the-wool makers of great stuff. For the ideas. Y'know? :D :D :D

Here's my latest project: a nappy bag for my niece. It's made from rubber-backed curtain fabric (cost a dollar as a remnant) and contains custom insulated pockets for bottles as well as spaces for nappies and the 'wet bag'. My niece is very short (4 foot 11 and a quarter), so most nappy bags dwarf her, which is why I made this one. Oh, and it's got welted pockets (one of which you can see in the pic and two others inside).

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kiwibird, you're a woman after my own heart! I love doing just this sort of thing and really thrive on the idea of making something unique for <<<$$$. I think you're going to wind up with a most well-appointed residence for Mr Newt, who is, as we all agree) a Superior Newt. I think it's grand that he'll be living in style and not in a bare, functional dwelling. Do keep us posted. It would also be sorta nice if you could post pics of your other projects as well. Y'know... for those of us who are dyed-in-the-wool makers of great stuff. For the ideas. Y'know? :D :D :D

Here's my latest project: a nappy bag for my niece. It's made from rubber-backed curtain fabric (cost a dollar as a remnant) and contains custom insulated pockets for bottles as well as spaces for nappies and the 'wet bag'. My niece is very short (4 foot 11 and a quarter), so most nappy bags dwarf her, which is why I made this one. Oh, and it's got welted pockets (one of which you can see in the pic and two others inside).

I love the baby bag! Such a cute bear print:D And I personally think that most "baby bags" are ridiculously oversized. A kid could live for a week out of one of those. I'm sure your niece will be very happy, and homemade gifts are always the best;). You're a really good seamstress, do you just sew for family or do you sell it?

When it comes to my "projects", that's a can of worms you might not want to open lol. I'm always doing something, because if I don't, I grow fangs and horns and go crazy:30: This was my last "big" project, the cardboard fireplace. It took 2 weeks of designing, and about a week to assemble. It is completely reinforced inside, and the black candle holder on top is wrought iron with my crystal pineapples, about 15lbs all together, so while you probably couldn't dance on it, it holds a good deal of weight-

DSC_2455_zpsdf675693.jpg

DSC_2476_zps4ddafef5.jpg

And this is just a picture of or living room (yes, I really like bright and tropical). Things I've made: couch cover, the 4 blue pillowcases which have a cotton fabric in a blue that looks like water, the 2 smaller pillowcases were a beach towel I got on sale for $3 with hand-appliqued sea turtles, the striped cover on the coffee table, all 4 dining chair covers each with different color ribbon accents and a hand appliquéd farm animal (green chicken, blue goose, pink pig and black cow), I totally refinished the dining room table, including a inset section you can't see under the table cloth that is covered with a pane of glass and can be changed out with the season (a certain messy someone forces me to keep a table cloth on it though) the green sewing machine cover, the heart print serger cover.... And that's just a general picture. I have different pillow cases, coffee table cover and dining room chair covers for autumn and christmas. I'm telling you, the creativity thing with me is a bit of a...issue:20:

DSC_2474_zps75b77e29.jpg

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Geez, Kiwibird, that fireplace is an inspiration! Massive kudos to you!

I do love the way you've decorated your living area - it looks so spacious and airy. One day when my dinghy comes in (too fiscally challenged to own a ship), I shall have a living room. Until then, I'm getting really good at finding ways to use every skerrick of wall space to my advantage. LOL!

I had another epiphany this morning. As I was thinking about the baby bag, I realised I've got a good hunk of the fabric left over (it's 205cm wide). I've been hawking about, looking for some plywood or whatever to block out the kitchen light as it shines into the Beakies' cage at night. Since that fabric is 100% blockout, I shall simply hem it and attach it to the cage with neodymium magnets cunningly inserted in the hems! That will kill two birds (NOT THE BEAKS!!!) with one stone: it'll give them protection from the light and it will save me $$$ for another brilliant project.

PS. ROTFLMAO!!! Dominic has just chosen this moment to swoop down from the top of the fridge to the table. Only thing is, our ancient and derelict cat is sleeping there on her special pillow. Dominic and Buffy just had an eyeball to eyeball encounter and Dommie won! LOLOLOLOL! I could almost hear poor Buff's joints creaking as she shot out the back door!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Geez, Kiwibird, that fireplace is an inspiration! Massive kudos to you!

I do love the way you've decorated your living area - it looks so spacious and airy. One day when my dinghy comes in (too fiscally challenged to own a ship), I shall have a living room. Until then, I'm getting really good at finding ways to use every skerrick of wall space to my advantage. LOL!

I had another epiphany this morning. As I was thinking about the baby bag, I realised I've got a good hunk of the fabric left over (it's 205cm wide). I've been hawking about, looking for some plywood or whatever to block out the kitchen light as it shines into the Beakies' cage at night. Since that fabric is 100% blockout, I shall simply hem it and attach it to the cage with neodymium magnets cunningly inserted in the hems! That will kill two birds (NOT THE BEAKS!!!) with one stone: it'll give them protection from the light and it will save me $$$ for another brilliant project.

PS. ROTFLMAO!!! Dominic has just chosen this moment to swoop down from the top of the fridge to the table. Only thing is, our ancient and derelict cat is sleeping there on her special pillow. Dominic and Buffy just had an eyeball to eyeball encounter and Dommie won! LOLOLOLOL! I could almost hear poor Buff's joints creaking as she shot out the back door!

Oh, I bet they will like a cover to help keep the lights out. I think it's too cute you call them "the beaks":D Our landlords have an alex, and you definitely notice the beak before anything else on him (I think it's a him?). Poor cat though. Parrots aren't exactly songbirds, and a big pink and gray one was probably quite frightening:p.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So an unfortunate update on the next tank cover-

It is no more:( Reduced to a pile of splinters this morning by my husbands foot. Not on purpose of course, but still...... Especially since I spent around 5 hours yesterday constructing the "roof part". I think I'm just going to scrap the whole project I'm so pissed right now

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
oh dear, such an unfortunate accident, why is it always the good things that get ruined??

I LOVE your flare for decorating, your house is so warm and inviting!
you have a talent and a very good one.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Thanks Crimson, I try:). It's such a major disappointment. Doesn't help I was half asleep when I heard this crunch/breaking wood noise. I think now that I have some coffee in me, I'll try and turn the day around and make my little buddy some sweet potato broccoli balls:D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Oh, I'm so sorry! Mr Newt was all set to have a spacious well-appointed residence - and now this! How demoralising for you! It happens to the best of us, though, so try to be philosophical.

A few winters ago, I decided to make a lovely boiled chocolate cake for my mob. I boiled the syrup for the required length of time and then set it in the sink in a bath of cold water to cool (as I always do when making boiled chocolate cake). Needless to say, my dear, dear husband came along and washed his hands in the sink, flooding my lovely (and expensive) boiled chocolate syrup with detergent, grease and water.

Moral of the story: you cannot win. Just smile and try again tomorrow. :D :D :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh no!:( that is so frustrating at the very least. All that hard work ugh!! :( I'm so sorry to hear about it.
I hope Kiwi loves his sweet potato broccoli balls...

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So, I decided to make up some fancy deviled eggs with sweet potato filling (very tasty, BTW) since I had a rather large sweet potato for just Kiwi's food. I somehow feel less stressed after mashing the ever living !*&? out of the sweet potato;)

DSC_3671_zpse3edb327.jpg

And Joe said he would help me rebuild the cover, which may actually be a good thing since he's really good at woodworking and I kind of "learn as I go".

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
those devilled eggs look delicious, I think I might try that for my fids, awesome idea.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
BETH! Step away from the fids! Do not boil, mash or in any way devil your fids! You know you'll be sorry in the morning! :22_yikes:

Last edited:

Most Reactions