Nico Needs Some Assistance

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Iā€™ve been trying to psychoanalyze a situation with Nico. If anyone has any insight or suggestions please let me know.

Nico likes to be outside. I take him for walks in the summer with myself & my dog. He just rides on my shoulder, and he appears to enjoy it a lot. Itā€™s almost like he expects this every morning. I live in a place that can get very cold (Minnesota USA). I canā€™t take him for walks outside everyday as it wouldnā€™t be safe. I refuse to take him when itā€™s 68 degrees or below. The days I go for a walk without him Iā€™m finding feathers at the bottom of his cage (it appears like he feather plucks while Iā€™m gone), and he screams is what my husband tells me when I get home. Heā€™s gotten to the point to where he wonā€™t eat his breakfast until he gets back from his walk.

What on earth is this silly parrot doing? Any suggestions?
IMG_0911.jpeg

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
The concern is that heā€™s acting out while youā€™re gone on the walk?

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
The concern is that heā€™s acting out while youā€™re gone on the walk?
Yes, something with him having to be outside is creating a bunch of behaviors

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
kinda sounds like separation anxiety to me. Does he do it when you leave the house for other reasons, errands etc?

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
kinda sounds like separation anxiety to me. Does he do it when you leave the house for other reasons, errands etc?
No, he doesnā€™t really care when I leave. As long as itā€™s not in the morning, and with my dog. Iā€™ve tried to walk my dog in the morning before I even go into Nicoā€™s nighttime room to open the shades, and wake him up. Heā€™s already up, and just knows? He will start talking his a typical words, and once I leave he screams. He bangs his beak on my back patio door where we take him outside at times too. We just assumed he wanted out, so we took him outside. Now weā€™ve created a bunch of issues.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Is there some other special activity you can do with him on days when he canā€™t come on walks; like a special toy, treat, or play/ training session? I donā€™t have experience with a bird in this situation but I know when I canā€™t take my dog on a walk due to bad weather or when sheā€™s had an injury, I make up for it by doing things like playing hide and seek with her favorite toy or giving her a raw bone to chew on. That way it becomes sort of an either/ or situation ( either we go for a walk or do this fun activity inside) and mentally that seems to help her settle down. I donā€™t know if something like that could help Nico? ( also, I think itā€™s kind of cute that he likes going on walks, even it has created some issues! ā¤ļø)

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Is there some other special activity you can do with him on days when he canā€™t come on walks; like a special toy, treat, or play/ training session? I donā€™t have experience with a bird in this situation but I know when I canā€™t take my dog on a walk due to bad weather or when sheā€™s had an injury, I make up for it by doing things like playing hide and seek with her favorite toy or giving her a raw bone to chew on. That way it becomes sort of an either/ or situation ( either we go for a walk or do this fun activity inside) and mentally that seems to help her settle down. I donā€™t know if something like that could help Nico? ( also, I think itā€™s kind of cute that he likes going on walks, even it has created some issues! ā¤ļø)
This is something I can try. He does like his training sessions for pine nuts. He also likes his showers, and other things as well that I could attempt to do before I leave to go on a walk. He doesnā€™t understand he canā€™t go on walks outside when itā€™s 30 degrees out.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
IMG_0912.jpeg

He finally has his tail feathers back too!! Heā€™s destroying them with whatever he is upset about with these walks he canā€™t come on

Most Reactions

Latest posts