LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
On my 1 year old CAG - Nigel aka "His Royal Highness"

His food:

So Nigel has always been a foodie. He tolerates dry food, pellets, occasional sunflower seed (he doesn't really care for them...what????) and munches on a bit in the evening. HOWEVER, he voraciously eats fruits and veggies. I gave him mustard greens today for the first time. He loves spinach so I thought, OK, let's try. He dove in!

His language:

Nigel's vocabulary in English is pretty amazing for a 1 year old CAG. He says "Nigeeeeeeeeel" and my daughter's name, "I didn't do that" as well as an assortment of dogs barking, roosters crowing, mumbling... What I think is awesome though, is that he is now speaking the local language of Chichewa which we are fluent in and use. He says "Mwadzuka bwanji?" (good morning) and "Dzikomo" (thank you). I know he says more than I've heard, he chatters so happily a few hours per day when he is not busy destroying some magazine or other easily accessed object.

His bath:

Nigel is not crazy about bathing but knows he has no choice. In the wild he would get soaked regularly in the forests of West Africa. So, off to the shower he goes. Usually, he hunches a bit like the hunchback of notre dame, which has moved me to help him get nice and wet by massaging the water into his feathers. The last two weeks he's decided to fluff up and play around and it's been amazing to see. Really soaked!

Nigel came from a very bad situation as a chick and I am thrilled to see him opening up. He's now starting to play with toys and learn more tricks (not a Salty tho, I think he thinks he's too important for tricks...he has his ways of letting me know he's done training). ALSO he's in a full-blown molt and his feathers are coming in beautifully! They were not in good condition at all when he came home but the new ones are looking fabulous.

Sorry for blabbing on and on, I'm just so happy looking back and seeing how far we have come in almost a year.

:)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Well done and thank you for sharing your latest news about Nigel. A bi-lingual parrot - good going!

Will try your tip of massaging water into Plum's feathers, he sits there like the Hunchback of Notre Dame too! Oh one last thing! Some pics, please?

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
It is always so wonderful to hear success stories! I agree, we need new pics of Nigel with his new pretty feathers!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
So...by popular demand. Here's a closeup. The feathers on his neck are coming in darker and beautiful. You can really see the change in the picture on the bottom. There are still duller feathers seen but they are slowly being overtaken by great contour feathers. His tail is turning a brilliant red...must get pic of that.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
No need to apologize about Nigel bragging! We love hearing about the boy!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
We love updates, and Nigel's great progress serves as encouragement for others. Beautiful bird for sure!!

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Nigel looks great. I'm fascinated with how different so many of our CAGS are, while they are yet so similar.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Nigel and Rb are such a pair.
Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde.
A snobby little elitist with naughty secrets, and a vulgar little rake with delusions of class.

Most Reactions