Night fright questions (sorta)

Dude589

Banned
Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
budgie (Cheddar)
I want to get a cockatiel in my future and i have money and food and 1-2 hours per day and etc. but the only problem is night frights. i have a cat that goes in my room at night and im pretty sure the cockatiel would flip. my budgie is ok with this . I have a closet light that shows some light. and my windows are closed for no car lights etc. so should i keep my cat out or what else?:confused:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Of course, a cat shouldn't be lurking around sleeping birds :)

OP
Dude589

Dude589

Banned
Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
budgie (Cheddar)
well he just jumps up on my bed with some noise and sleeps
he doesnt stalk my bird

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Years ago I had a Cockatiel. Since it is common with tiels, my boy was no exception. He'd have these frights too (I don't remember how often, but regularly, unlike other species). Blood spattered all over. The GOOD thing about this bird, was he'd pull out all of his own broken blood feathers by the root. I've heard that if a person doesn't remove them, the bird can bleed out. Maybe mine was unusual? Good luck though : )

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
There are other small bird options other than a cockatiel (nothing against tiels:)) but remember they are not your only option. Unless of course your heart is set on one. Some beautiful colors they come in.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Awwww...don't sway away from a tiel because of night frights :yellow1::grey: :)

Such wonderful companions they are.

I have found...from experience with our tiels...that they become accustomed to the noises and movements in their environment. We choose NOT to cover our birds at night. We did at first, however I found the night frights seemed to happen more when they were covered...once I started leaving them uncovered, the frights seemed to quit. This may not be the standard...but it's worked for us. :)

We have a small dog and 2 cats in the house every night I'm sure they move about the house and past their cages from time to time...as well as sometimes one of us humans get up and move around the house at any odd hour. We haven't had a fright in nearly 3 years....and contrary to popular belief about night frights...our birds can see out a window. So car headlights and such haven't seemed to bother them.

Good luck!

Toni

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Keep a light on as that will help tremendously! I prefer not to cover as well cause it makes the night fright even worse. They do get adjusted to the surroundings in time like Nakiska says. Don't let night fright sway you away as they're wonderful birds to have around.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
My tiels aren't covered either and we have 5 cats. One who likes to watch the birds occasionally because she's still a kitten. The tiels just ignore her and the rest of the cats...actually I can't remember the last time my tiels had a night fright. They just got used to the crazy cats and me randomly stumbling and tripping over everything to get to my bed at 2am.

OP
Dude589

Dude589

Banned
Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
budgie (Cheddar)
I'm still scared it will happen becuz your asleep in the night and u hear a thump wouldnt a cockatiel freak out and i am VERY scared bout night frights

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's why you leave the lights on to prevent night fright as much as possible.

OP
Dude589

Dude589

Banned
Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
budgie (Cheddar)
ok i am not gonna get a cockatiel now but i cant put up with my dog and cats you cant stop them see my poicephalus post and read more. also i have a sort of liking to poicephalus they seem neat

Most Reactions

Latest posts