Night Spazz? Please help!

GreenBelle

Nov 25, 2013
Toronto, ON
Parrots
4 y/o Rose Crown Conure- Phortue
Last year around this time my Rose Crown Conure, Phortue, would wake up in the night shrieking and flapping around her cage. I would try to calm her down, talk to her, and either she'd stop for the night or do it again a few hours later. I took her to the vet and he told me to try different things with her environment; add a nightlight if it's dark, make it darker if there's already light, put her in her carrying case for the night to restrict movement, add a stand in her sleeping spot, etc. Around that time I also noticed that she was favouring her right eye and keeping the left one closed. At first I thought she was just tired, but she continued keeping it closed while eating, playing, and resting. Sometimes she did open it, but mostly it stayed shut. Another visit to the vet showed that her cornea was fine, but he gave me some drops to put in her eye (which did nothing). At this time I moved in with my boyfriend, and the behaviour slowed. Then one night the terrors stopped, and so did the blinking. I thought everything was fine.

Until last night. I was up with her all night trying to calm her down. She would start shrieking in this gutteral, unnatural way, fling herself off the side of her cage (where she sleeps) and runs around the bottom flapping and screaming. My boyfriend and I would take turns getting up to calm her down. I sat on the couch with her in her carrying case and she would still do it. This morning I noticed her left eye was closed while her right was open, and when I put my hand for her to step up she didn't even notice it. She was surprised when I bumped her with my finger to have her acknowledge me, as if she didn't see me standing there.

I can't find any information as to why this keeps happening, has anyone else experienced this with their birds? She's find during rainstorms, she doesn't mind the dark, bumps in the night usually make her chirp softly to see if we're there. She is otherwise in perfect health. I'm getting scared for her and have no idea what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Same times..

Maybe its allergies or a reaction to the changing weather?

Try warming the temp in the house a little more maybe?

Some birds react in odd ways to weather changes.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Night frights. Some birds get them. Have you tried covering this bird at night? That usually helps.

Nightlights sometimes do the opposite, and cause shadows where shadows didn't use to exist... causing more night frights.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
My bird has night frights if his cage isn't covered at night. I really can't explain the closed eye thing though. Sorry. I hope he will be okay, good luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts