Nike going in for a clip

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Well, it's that time of year, we're going camping next week so Nike is going in for a clip and nails.

My normal CAV isn't available in time for the trip so she's seeing his new associate Vet. so I'm a little nervous but it is only the clip and nails.

I always have a feeling of dread this time of year because Nike enjoys being mobile so much but her safety is up utmost importance to me. By the fall when the camping season winds down she will begin to feel her oats again and spend the winter glued to me.

This is what she's going to get tomorrow. She can still fly pretty well, just cant gain altitude but she can fly from her highest living room perch to her favorite spot in the dining room plant stand (about 20' through 2 doors)...but can't return on her own, she has to give me those puppy dog eyes to grab her on my way by. She can also still fly from a perch to our shoulders but it takes her a while to decide to do that which allows us to escape if we need to ;)

ScreenHunter_01%20Mar.%2019%2009.01.gif

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You are certainly doing what is best for Nike. Interesting wing-clip sheet, never saw one so descriptive. Well done!!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
All Done. All went well. This Vet could have been my granddaughter...mid 20's at most.

Nike stepped up for her, then I took her and they toweled her and while she grabbed both me and the Vet, true to her personality, she did not bite. A lot of complaining initially but it was all over pretty quickly.

The Vet may have taken off one extra feather on each side and Nike's flight path from her 45" high Mango Pet stand is only about 10 feet where it usually is around 20 or so after previous clips. Both wings still had previously clipped feathers that had not been replaced so she'll be raising hell again in no time.

She can fly up to my shoulder from that Mango stand if I wait for her. Her nails are dull and cant get a good grip on my shirt so it's safest if I'm stationary.

Unlike her last vet visit, she talked to me on the way home so that was nice ;).

Nike, post vet visit
Nike5-14-20.JPG

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wing clip and a warm-up on the way home! WOW...

Great wing clipping diagram. A bit of any upgrade on Medial diagram of a wing a bunch of years ago. Clearly is worth having!

Update on Jailhouse Michigan. Our Governor has limited vet visit to only Cats, Dogs and Weasels! Unless it's an emergency!!! So, surprise surprise, unless it is an emergency Julio wouldn't be able to see his CAV next week. So, being the heartless rebel with a cause (the Love and care of Julio), I declared our visit as an emergency, declaring Julio's a open wound on his rump...

Amazon's Rule!!!

And So Does Nike!!!

OP
bill_e

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Sailboat, it's amazing how fast those open wounds heal on birds, I bet your vet has a hard time finding it next week ;)

Nike's vet did remark on how strong her breast muscles were from flying and all the tech's wanted to get a peak at a hawkhead which they had never seen before.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sailboat, it's amazing how fast those open wounds heal on birds, I bet your vet has a hard time finding it next week ;)

Sometimes remarkable fast! :D

There is nothing stronger than a fully flighted Parrot! And, for whatever reason, even our CAV gets caught off guard by Julio..

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts