Trouble gripping after nail trim?

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello all! Today Kure had her first vet appointment and everything went great! She did amazing for the long car ride and the vet said she looked really healthy! Her nails were pretty long so they clipped them for us and showed me how to hold her so I could do it at home which was super helpful. However, now that the tips of her nails are flat (no quicks were cut so I am sure they aren’t too short) and she is having trouble holding onto my shoulder and her perches. Is there anything I can do to help her? Is this normal as she adjusts to the new length of her nails? There were no other changes in her behavior and her grip strength when she is on my fingers seems fine. I just worry about her falling off things as her flight feathers are not completely grown in yet from when her wings were clipped too short before I got her.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
So happy things went well at the vet! Usually birds should adjust to a nail trim in a few days or less. I have heard of birds crashing when trying to fly right after a nail trim because it alters their take off slightly. It would probably be wise to keep a close eye on her when she’s out until you feel confident that she’s used to her new pedicure. ❤️

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You can wrap your perches with the self adhesive bandages you can buy at the pharmacy.

I had to do it for some of my birds after a nail trim.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
So happy things went well at the vet! Usually birds should adjust to a nail trim in a few days or less. I have heard of birds crashing when trying to fly right after a nail trim because it alters their take off slightly. It would probably be wise to keep a close eye on her when she’s out until you feel confident that she’s used to her new pedicure. ❤️
Thank you for your response! I’m glad it’s a normal thing, and I will definitely keep an eye on her.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
You can wrap your perches with the self adhesive bandages you can buy at the pharmacy.

I had to do it for some of my birds after a nail trim.
Ooo, that’s a great idea! The vet said I’ll have to trim her nails a bit frequently as the quicks recede because her nails were so long, so that will definitely help her. Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts