Nimbus is eating her cage -.-

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Title says it all, she's chewing off the lining of her cage =( she had many toys to destroy, which she does, so I don't know why the sudden interest in killing her cage.

To try and disuade her from cage eating I bought more toys and overstocked her cage and it has seemed to have helped the past couple of days, I don't hear the big cling of her taking a chunk off.

I'd just like to know if this is an appropriate course of action? And also I'm worried about it rusting now when I clean it because the bars are exposed, any ideas? It's a brand new cage but I got it online.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
My Noble macaw was a cage peeler of paint and I ended up buying him a stainless steel cage. The best investment I ever made. His cage was bought in 2001 and still looks brand new even though I clean with scrubber sponges.

I see your in Australia. I don't know how much a SS cage would cost where you are at. I could never get Mihijo to stop peeling his cage no matter what I did for him. I hope you are able to get Nimbus to stop. Mihijo's original cage was a well made Kings cage but I still made the investment to the SS cage because I was so worried about him eating the paint.

I have heard of people having their cages repainted/resurfaced but I don't know how that would be done safely in Australia for your parrots cage.

I am afraid you probably won't be able to stop her from doing it now that she enjoys chewing on the cage. Like I did with my Mihijo I would worry about her ingesting the paint and metal poisoning.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
That's bad, Ozzie has never chewed on the actual cage, but he has made a whole in the lock on the top of the cage.

I'm sorry that I cant help you much as I don't know why she is doing it, have you thought about getting some foraging for her? It might help?

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Alex my alexandrine started to do that, so I had I kept changing his toys around. It seems that news paper, shredable paper, toys with shredable paper on it stopped him. He hasn't done it in months now. I think they just love the feeling on it being peeled off?

OP
Akraya

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Might have to steal the GCC foraging wheel for a couple of days, got loads of foraging stuff. She really likes that corner of the cage, always sits there. I haven't heard her have a go of it today so hopefully I've caught it early enough so it doesn't become habit. She's really enjoying her new natural wood perch/toy/swing thing.

noblemacaw - when I last looked into SS cage it was at least $1000 which is way out of my budget for now, stupid high price tags for quality! :p

OP
Akraya

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
Foraging wheel a success for anyone who has this problem, she tried eating that but it's too tough!

Most Reactions