Nimfa plucking its feathers, started 1 week ago. Help please!

bizilux

May 12, 2014
Hello all... im new here

anyways onto my little bird called lucky. we found him about 1 month ago or a bit more, he flew to our house when we were working outside on yard. so our workers captured him because parrots cant survive outside for the night, it was quite cold during that time. we asked around few blocks but no-one was missing him.
Yxd2Nrp.jpg

when i was little we had few parrots and i've wanted a parrot for few years now, but our house has a lot of windows, so we never got one. this one seems to be quite intelligent, and he knows what and where windows are... quite strange really.

anyways long story short, i just love him, but probably 1 week ago we started seeing feathers around... i havent seen any in first 3 weeks, but now they are everywhere... i think it is getting out of hand, thats why i need some expert opinion. i need to do something about it.

most of the day he spends on my table, or on my shoulders, and i scratch his head from time to time

his cage, you can see quite a bit of feathers there.
gJf0jeZ.jpg

and this below is picture of my table. i gathered these feathers together...
you can see the one on the top is very very big, it was the biggest one that went through his whole body. there were 2, now its only 1 left.

and on bottom right of picture you can see 2 that were on his head. i do not know how those are called, but they are special, not like rest of them, they are for decoration. so i dont think it is just seasonal grooming going on. because these feathers donnt have any flying role. and other feathers dont look damaged either.

NjEmgur.jpg

and this is his food right now.

I8Oa1RF.jpg

he used to have different food for past month. i believe it was good food and if i remember correctly it was picture of nimfa parrot on it.

the problem is that he only ate those little round ones, the ones that he needs to peel. just those smallest little ones. so it just might be possible that he isnt getting enough protein because he only eats 1 sort of them, and not all of them like he should. anyways now we bought this bag that you see, and they dont have any big seeds in them.

he flies enough, we have big house, and his cage is mostly open, except during night, or when windows are opened.

i suspect it might be problem because he is bored? he only has toy in his cage, and that is a bell. but still he is plucking his feathers when he is on my shoulders and on my table... so i mean if he was bored he would just play with me?

while i was writing this long post, i had to stop him around 10 times because he was starting to pluck his feathers. and it is hard to see when he is doing it because he is on my shoulder.

so what should i do??? except for buy him some parrot toys.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!!

Birds can fly off for more then just a block alone! They can fly miles from where they've escaped. I don't think he's plucking, they do go through a molt! They constantly preen their feathers all the time, but they're not plucking and such. And if going through a molt, the loose feathers will fall off during preening.

You should purchase some Cockatiel food instead of finch food, but do mix it with parakeet food to cut down on the sunflower seeds. Then you can offer him some fresh fruits and veggies. Even mix pellets within his seed mix if you can find any. Where are you from?

Last edited:
OP
B

bizilux

May 12, 2014
yes i know, they can fly for quite some time, but mine gets tired after around a minute of flying around house... or maybe less? when he lands he breathes quite heavily :) so he couldnt really fly that much i suppose, but yeh few blocks for sure

i was just afraid that he is plucking his feathers because there were so many of them... and that big one, and those from his head...

i did have this food before: http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/71801529a.jpg

but the only thing that he ate was those smallest round seeds... he left everything else alone. i will need to read more about diet and vegetables and such...

im from slovenia.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They'll do that looking tired from flying for a bit in the house but trust me they'll do fine once it's out in the open! It doesn't mean they can't fly well or just a few blocks only. There was a cockatiel that was found and ended up on the news when the owners reclaimed him. He flew hundreds of miles away from their location and feeding at bird feeders.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A bird on adrenaline can fly for miles.... so I would suggest doing as Mikey said and expanding your search range. Look for flyers or anything that someone might have put up about a lost bird. Perhaps put a sign up saying "found small parrot - please call to identify" kind of thing.

The head feathers you speak of are called "crest feathers" - and the long one is a tail feather.

If the tiel was plucking, then he should squeal or squawk each time he plucks out a feather. It would be pretty obvious as he might tense up then yank the feather out.

With molting, the feathers just fall out as if they were loose anyway and causes no harm to the bird.

Most Reactions