No Longer Grooming Her Tail After Laying Eggs

JoMo

May 31, 2023
Parrots
Two green cheek conure brothers and their sister, a black capped conure
Hello! So this past spring, my black capped conure surprised me one morning by laying two eggs! Okay, new research time and time to go to the vet, get hormonal shots, etc. After a few months, no longer laying eggs (for now) and things have come back to normal. Except, she's no longer grooming herself, particularly her tail, so it's quite frayed and just looks very sad looking.
I don't believe it's a major issue, nothing life threatening for sure, and the vet says she's in good health; but I would like for her to start grooming herself again and am curious if there is anything I can do to help encourage it again. She takes baths, but she just stands there as a wet chicken, haha.
Thanks in advance!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello! So this past spring, my black capped conure surprised me one morning by laying two eggs! Okay, new research time and time to go to the vet, get hormonal shots, etc. After a few months, no longer laying eggs (for now) and things have come back to normal. Except, she's no longer grooming herself, particularly her tail, so it's quite frayed and just looks very sad looking.
I don't believe it's a major issue, nothing life threatening for sure, and the vet says she's in good health; but I would like for her to start grooming herself again and am curious if there is anything I can do to help encourage it again. She takes baths, but she just stands there as a wet chicken, haha.
Thanks in advance!
I don't know why she is neglecting her grooming but rest assured that her ratty tail will be replaced. She should start grooming herself more when she has her next molt. Birds get uncomfortably itchy when molting which usually results in a lot of grooming. Her damaged tail feathers will begin to fall out and be replaced by new ones. When was the last time you noticed her molting any karge feathers? Some of the large feathers should be replaced every year but it might take a couple molt cycles for her all her tail feathers to be replaced.

Most Reactions

Latest posts