non stick and bread machine

Lukask

Dec 9, 2011
Minnesota
Parrots
Luna- GCC, Stella- Caique
I have non stick cookware. I often get paranoid about killing my bird by using it, so I find myself cooking less and less. If I only cook on low and medium, do I still have to be super concerned about overheating??

Also, I got a bread machine for xmas. The container on the inside is non stick and loaves cook for hours. I am really excited about getting this, but once again I am concerned about my fid.

Anyone have a bread machine? Do I need to be really concerned??

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Some may disagree with me on this, but if your bird is in a different room, with the door closed, you should be fine. I have a bread maker but I haven't used it since we've had the birds, not because of the worry of teflon, just because I haven't had the enthusiasm to make bread lol. Ptfe shouldn't make any noxious fumes unless it is heated to very high temps so you should be fine. I wouldn't allow your bird to be in the kitchen with you just to be sure, but I'm not going to lie, I have definitely been to people's houses where they had birds in their kitchen and had non stick pans. However, I wouldn't do it myself, better safe than sorry.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
My mom's roommate has forgotten about the teflon and cooked with Puck in the house (not sure what room he was in though), and he's been okay. I'm going to make her store it somewhere not in the kitchen when I move in though, just to be safe.

I don't remember the temperature, but teflon has to be heated to a certain temperature before it releases the fumes. I think it's at least 600F. This is more likely to happen on the stove than with an electric appliance, if I know my stuff (which I may not).

Most Reactions

Latest posts