Non-stick pans

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I guess you could argue that if you didn't have parrots you wouldn't need the air purifier to begin with and I think a lot of parrot owners who don't have a dusty species don't use an air purifier.

I don't think I've ever read that a scented candle is dangerous to humans (I don't personally use them) and I use the same cleaning products as I've always used so I'm not convinced, but maybe?

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
"*SCENTED CANDLES release toxins when burned, so only unscented candles should be used in bird homes. (Protect birds from the open flame). Beeswax candles are generally safe and unscented unless they are imported and contain lead wicks (which are illegal and rarely used."

"*CLEANING AND DISINFECTING PRODUCTS like pine oil, ammonia, mold and mildew cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners, drain cleaners, furniture polish, oven cleaners, dishwasher detergents, furniture polish, car cleaning products, and laundry products, including bleach, can irritate or burn the skin, eyes and respiratory tract of birds when used in their air space. Spray starch is also toxic to birds."

"*CARPET POWDERS AND SPRAYS such as Carpet Fresh, as well as similar treatments for upholstery such as Febreze, often contain toxins which are dispersed into the air when they are vacuumed so they should not be used in bird homes. Carpets can be cleaned safely with solutions of water and baking soda, vinegar, or Grapefruit Seed Extract.

Full list:Parrot Safety

From MY understanding, anything with an unnatural scent has the potential to irritate their respiratory system and could possibly be so toxic it could kill them. And while I might occasionally bleach the toilet (with the door closed and Kiwi in another room), I wouldn't ever use harsh chemicals anywhere he could ever possibly have oral contact with (which is almost everywhere, since he's always all over). The thought of him accidentally ingesting bleach, frabreeze, carpet cleaner ect... residue scares me right out of using those products.

Edit: Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out I don't think I'm the only one who is a *tad* on the extreme side about parrot safety. I know plenty of people use those products without issue, but it would be MY luck if I used some chemical, Kiwi would ingest or inhale some and get ill or die. I just like to eliminate the risk altogether personally and I don't think I'm the only parrot owner who has that view. Maybe I am the crazy one though:30:

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
No you're not crazy. I thought we were talking about parrot owners being healthier than non parrot owners. I agree those things should be kept away from our birds.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Teflon and its offspring will be off the consumer cookware market next year.....

Is this like a law that passed or just lack of consumer demand or what? Curious minds want to know:D (I know there a lot of controversy in general over teflon's safety for humans)

OK KB, here's something to sooth your curious mind.....had to go digging through my files, then had to see if there was something still around about it, but Here you go: Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015

enjoy your reading.....

OP
PetoftheDay

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
From MY understanding, anything with an unnatural scent has the potential to irritate their respiratory system and could possibly be so toxic it could kill them.

Maybe I am part parrot?

Anything scented has always been scary to me. I once bought a new bottle of floor cleaner and didn't notice the "Fresh New Scent!!!" label (the horror), and not only did it smell like chemical strawberries (who thought THAT would be a good idea???) I then felt woozy and sat down, and didn't get up tip hours had passed, and I realized I was already late for a service I had been supposed to sing at!

Why, why, why do people do these things? Why scent cleaning products? Shouldn't they smell like nothing? And therefore be clean and safe for everyone?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
From MY understanding, anything with an unnatural scent has the potential to irritate their respiratory system and could possibly be so toxic it could kill them.

Why, why, why do people do these things? Why scent cleaning products? Shouldn't they smell like nothing? And therefore be clean and safe for everyone?

As with many products, a company's marketing/advertising department is often the last voice before a new product goes on the market and their interest is to suggest the best way to market the product for greatest appeal to the consumer to generate the company's greatest revenue and scent appeals to potential buyers, so until there are enough complaints and/or proof of dangers to animals (sometimes that's not even enough) many companies will settle lawsuits as being cheaper than pulling & reworking their product.....look at all the recalls from the auto industry and the reports of them having known about the dangers & liability of the recalled products ahead of time. Ever notice the ads by the ambulance chasing lawyers seeking clients to sue this drug or that drug.....the first one to come to mind is the one about "mesothelioma" there's a multi-billion dollar settlement pie that brings out the ambulance chasers to buy TV ads.....then there's the Teflon situation.....DuPont knew of the health problems there back in the 40s, almost before it was marketed and the government settlement/agreement took until about 10 years ago, but the settlement implementation delayed because of appeals, until the spring of this year (2015) politics & apathetic consumers who are advertising junkies, believing all that advertising spin that this or that is the best thing since ice cream.....

I think an arguable case could be made that in one way or another, we are all at fault for the things that harm us and the charges we are responsible for.....

Just my thoughts ! ! !

Last edited:

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Was this giveaway the one with stickers? We had probably the same in Chicago, and I got one large stainless pot and one stainless steel pan for free! (worth of $100!!!) They should have a stainless pan with two handles - you can get that one, and it doesn't have any teflon. It's awesome!

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
When we decided we wanted a parrot we took the hazards seriously and decided to err on the side of caution. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I tossed all our teflon coated pans and Hubbs bought me ceramic coated cast iron pans. I had always wanted rid of them for our own safety anyway but it was hard to justify tossing out cookware that wasn't ruined. There are so many other places the money can go other than on pans. I also switched to cleaning with equal parts vinegar/water with a splash of lemon juice in the mix. I hate the way it smells but it cleans like a dream-no more streaked mirrors either. Perfume is the hardest thing for me to give up right now, I love it. I do have oil perfumes that wear very close to the body, I hope those are ok. They quietly insinuate, not scream out into the room.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
I do have oil perfumes that wear very close to the body, I hope those are ok. They quietly insinuate, not scream out into the room.

There are some personal scents that have been attributed to breathing problems in some birds, so you might want to check with your parfum, perfume or cologne's manufacturer concerning their products' safety around birds.....with so many imitations and knock offs around, your manufacturer is the only one who can tell you......

Personal scents are listed as dangerous on most lists I've seen.....

Good luck with your investigation.....

OP
PetoftheDay

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Was this giveaway the one with stickers? We had probably the same in Chicago, and I got one large stainless pot and one stainless steel pan for free! (worth of $100!!!) They should have a stainless pan with two handles - you can get that one, and it doesn't have any teflon. It's awesome!

Yes, and I love the stainless pots with the "pour pan" design and lid! I got two and gave one to my niece!

Most Reactions