Non stick/telfon cookware smell

Jaz27b

Jun 2, 2014
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Elmo - Varied Lorikeet - I miss you every single day
So the oven in my apartment came with three grey oven cookware things.... A square dish type thing, flat tray and a smaller tray. When I use the oven with one of these in there, there is a weird smell that comes out.... Is that weird smell the toxic stuff that harms our birds?
I also have a couple of different branded non stick fry pans and they dont release any smell when I cook with them, not that I can smell anyhow.... Does that mean that they would he safe to use when I have a bird?
Starting to prep for when I do get one :)
I've read the list on the site of what's harmful etc, but very curious if anyone knows that if it smells it's bad, if it doesn't then it's ok.

The way I understand it, there is no smell emitted with the non stick cookware. It's a chemical/toxin that is released that harms/kills birds when the pan is heated. I could be wrong.

The way I understand it, there is no smell emitted with the non stick cookware. It's a chemical/toxin that is released that harms/kills birds when the pan is heated. I could be wrong.

Thanks, do you have any idea what the smell is when I use those trays in the oven? I'll Google it :)

I've had brand new pans have a smell when I first used them. Do you know if they are new? I have seen posts on this forum about the non stick cookware but I'm not sure where. I'll try to find a previous thread.

So the oven in my apartment came with three grey oven cookware things.... A square dish type thing, flat tray and a smaller tray. When I use the oven with one of these in there, there is a weird smell that comes out.... Is that weird smell the toxic stuff that harms our birds?
I also have a couple of different branded non stick fry pans and they dont release any smell when I cook with them, not that I can smell anyhow.... Does that mean that they would he safe to use when I have a bird?
Starting to prep for when I do get one :)
I've read the list on the site of what's harmful etc, but very curious if anyone knows that if it smells it's bad, if it doesn't then it's ok.

Some ovens and their cooking utensils are manufactured with a high heat grey porcelain finish that does not contain PFOAs or PTFEs and though I have never seen pans & other cooking utensils with a Teflon coating in a color other than black, that does not mean that some company did not use a different color for their particular products.

With stoves, ranges and ovens, it's usually quite simple to find out if one of those items was manufactured with PFOAs or PTFEs, copy down the manufacturer's model & serial number and either send them a regular letter via posted mail or send them an E-mail inquiring as to whether any PFOAs, PTFE or other toxic substance was used in that item's manufacture. You don't want to ask about Teflon, because that is a product name for a DuPont product and DuPont licensed other companies to use their toxic chemical formulas under different trade names, so if you ask whether there is any Teflon in a particular item or product, they can tell you no and not be telling you a lie. For pots & pans that don't have a model or serial number on them, if you know the manufacturer, you can still write or E-mail the manufacturer, if known, describing the utensil, and asking about PFOAs or PTFEs used in the item's manufacturer.

If you must use an appliance, pot, pan or other item known to or suspected of containing PFOAs or PTFEs and there is a vent hood that exhausts to the outside, use it and/or put a fan in your kitchen window, pointing/venting to the outside...and...move your bird(s) to another part of your house, as far away from your kitchen as possible.....

Thanks everyone, and i checked out the link Allee, lots of info on there :)
Has anyone heard of the brand Le Crueset .... and had any experience with their fry pans or any of their products by any chance?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back