Non Tamed Bird

Amyis

Aug 24, 2016
Parrots
African Ringneck
Budgie
I have a African ringneck for over a year and has a sassy altitude. She does not want to be tame because if I go near her she fly around her cage or walks away

We also started putting her near my other female budgie who's mate had dieds what should I do to tame both? :greenyellow::green2:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Do you know if your african ringneck is wild caught or captive bred?

The easiest way to start working with your ARN is to first figure out what her comfort zone is. That is, at what point is she comfortable with you standing near the cage? And at what point does she go "on edge" looking for an escape? If you can figure out where this line is, you can stand there looking indirectly at her (don't stare at her full on!).

Well, more specifically, walk towards her cage, if she goes on edge, take two steps back. Wait a few seconds or minutes. Try to approach the cage again. If her behavior indicates she's looking for an escape, take two steps back. You can try repeating this until she gets comfortable with you being near.

Or another approach... find out her favorite foods, place these inside the cage, then step back to her comfort zone and allow her to eat in peace. Repeat. Repeat again but being a little closer.

Over time with her getting more comfortable with you, you may then be able to graduate to feeding her treats by hand.

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Just keep in mind, you have to let your birds set the pace. It has to be their decision, and if you try and make it *your* decision, you can end up hurting the progress.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Great advice already.
I would recommend sitting very close to the cage for extended periods of time (1-2 hours). You can read a book or watch TV or something in the mean time. Let your bird wonder closer to you over time. Don't make any advancements towards your bird.
As your bird settles in your presence, you can eventually offer a treat by hand. Again, if your bird retreats, do not try to pursue her.
It is all about trust.

Most Reactions

Latest posts