Noobs From NC

Mom2Oatty

Feb 15, 2017
NC
Parrots
Oatty: 20 month Quaker
Hi Everyone!

I am Nikki! I recently adopted an 1.5 yr old Quaker, we named him Oatmeal(Oatty-for short). This is my first Quaker, but I grew up with parakeets and cockatiels. I have been perusing the forums for a couple weeks now and decided to finally become a member. The information has been invaluable! I look forward to hanging out and having a place to ask my new parrot mom questions!

OP
Mom2Oatty

Mom2Oatty

Feb 15, 2017
NC
Parrots
Oatty: 20 month Quaker
Thank You! I don't think it's going to be hard for me to gain his trust! He has already taken quite the liking to me and rather enjoys sitting at my desk while I work! When he gets bored of me typing, he makes noises for my son(11 yr old sitting opposite the room, homeschooling) to give him some love!

He's quite the sweetheart! He says a few things, but most importantly- he loves to be loved!

I'll be posting in the Quaker specific forum with his progress/discoveries.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello and welcome fellow bird mom!! It's a great community here, really helpful advice. Your Quaker sounds like a darling, and I love that name! :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Nikki and Oatty, thanks for joining!

I haven't experienced life with a Quaker, but many members have and love them dearly!!

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
Welcome to the flock I don't know much about Quakers but I'm sure there are plenty of Quakers mommas and dads you can get info from can't wait to see pics and hear some stories

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Welcome Nikki! And welcome to Oatty as well! This is a great forum, full of very knowledgeable and experienced bird people! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Though I have decades of bird owning and breeding experience, I just got my very first baby Quaker parrot last June 9th. He was 8 weeks old when I brought him home, he's blue, and his name is Lita Ford (breeder's DNA test was wrong, I repeated it twice to make sure, lol). I've owned all types of birds but I absolutely love Lita, he has such a unique personality in comparison to the other species I've owned. Quakers are little clowns and they think they're very large birds, they have no concept of their size. My guy is a good ball, he is constantly hanging upside down, laying on his back, rolling over, and doing all kinds of little acrobatics. He also talks very well, he started talking at around 6-7 months old, and now at 10+ months old he speaks very clearly and says many phrases. He also learns words and phrases much more quickly than he used to. And in spite of how outgoing Lita is, he's also a very cuddly, loving bird that loves his head and neck scritches, and his favorite place to be the hour before night night time is on my shoulder, under my hair, beak grinding away right in my ear...😘

I'm sure you'll have years of good times with Oatty, they are wonderful birds and in my opinion Quaker parrots are one of the absolute best birds for human companionship.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions