so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Different continents have some very unusual birds.
I guess this is north America’s entry for the strangest bird.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Has the Ministry been informed of this??!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I looked up American Woodcocks and learned that experts say this strange boogie dance they do wakes up earthworms and makes them move enough so the bird can locate and eat them sooner.

I say they just like to boogie.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Why would a wild bird boogie like that across a street! And teach its children to?
Good question. I thought maybe the ground might be very hot. See the younglings seem to be staying in mummies shadow on that hot sand. Or maybe they're just hunting like you said. Many birds can feel prey moving around beneath the surface so it makes good sense

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I looked up American Woodcocks and learned that experts say this strange boogie dance they do wakes up earthworms and makes them move enough so the bird can locate and eat them sooner.

I say they just like to boogie.
I read this too.
But I understood that’s the scientist best guess (theory) but even they aren’t sure why.
If the birds could imitate the sound of rain hitting the ground I could buy it.
The birds aren’t tap tap tapping their feet down multiple times per step, they shift their weight multiple times with each step.

I guess I miss labeled this thread.
I hand more intention of starting a thread about odd birds around the world not just this bird with an urge to dance.

Like the Kiwi.
Lay’s the largest egg per body size.
has nostrils (nares) at the very end of it’s long beak to smell prey underground.

New Zealand and Australia have so many odd and unusual birds it was nice to see North America didn’t get left out.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
We also have the Killdeer in North America! They might not be quite as groovy as the Woodcock, but they do an interesting behavior when a potential threat gets too close to their nest. They are ground nesting birds and if the nest is threatened, one of the parents will act injured, dragging a wing or leg, in order to draw off the potential threat. Once they’ve lured the predator far enough away, the Killdeer takes off flying making and chattering noise that sounds almost like they’re laughing! Ha ha! Fooled you! I’ve seen them engage in this behavior when I’ve been out walking the dogs and we must have gotten too close to a Killdeer nest. I think it’s kind of cool!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I read this too.
But I understood that’s the scientist best guess (theory) but even they aren’t sure why.
If the birds could imitate the sound of rain hitting the ground I could buy it.
The birds aren’t tap tap tapping their feet down multiple times per step, they shift their weight multiple times with each step.

I guess I miss labeled this thread.
I hand more intention of starting a thread about odd birds around the world not just this bird with an urge to dance.

Like the Kiwi.
Lay’s the largest egg per body size.
has nostrils (nares) at the very end of it’s long beak to smell prey underground.

New Zealand and Australia have so many odd and unusual birds it was nice to see North America didn’t get left out.
I don't always buy what scientists say, especially when its nothing but an educated guess.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think I have a better and more logical theory about why they move like that.
If it's not for catching prey, and I don't think it is.
Maybe it for camouflage . Maybe they want to look like a leaf blowing along on the ground.
The birds look very defenseless.
That's where I would put my money.
I got to thinking that their movement reminded me of a chameleon or one of those stick insects that has that jerky movement.

I had a lot of thinking ttime yesterday on my 12 hour drive up to Oregon.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I tried to look into this myself and was immediately confused by the distinction between the north american woodcocks "silly walk" vs their "sky dance." Starting to think this bird is just a groovy guy.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
-GASP-

I figured it out. The North American Woodcock has read the classic sci fi novel Dune by Frank Herbert, and they're walking like that to avoid Sandworms, who are attracted by rhythmic movement like footsteps. Mystery: solved.

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Found this really good documentary on this little guy.
More different than I could have guessed.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Found this really good documentary on this little guy.
More different than I could have guessed.

For all we know, these silly birds DO have a soundtrack playing in their minds that only they can hear. It makes more sense than the explanations offered by scientists. Why else would this bird spend its whole life dancing when no other birds are?

Most Reactions

Latest posts