Northern CA fires

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Well my county cought on fire today. One is 7500 plus with only 5% containment. We had a couple small ones at only 65 acres. Well now I just found out that 4 miles up the road one just caught. I am so glad I have a exit plan and everything is ready.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's terrible! I hope you won't have to evacuate. So many fires happening all over norcal. I've been keeping a eye on the hills for any smoke as I drive around here in the South SF Bay Area and up the peninsula but luckily no large fires so far.

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
I am so sorry! I live in Nevada and have been dealing with the smoke from the Yosemite fire. Yesterday was actually the first day that the smoke wasn't really visible. I hope all goes well for you and the babies stay safe!!!! If you have one (or more) run an air purifier it really helps. If you have a fireplace put a big garbage bag over it and tape it off with painters tape. Once I did that it made a HUGE difference in the smoke coming in the house.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I gotta agree with Chelle! We had smoke from California for a month! So nice to have clear blue skies (THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE!!!!!!! :D ), no orange hue and not having to breath that gunk in!

Hope you and your flock stay safe!!!!

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Every one is safe and sound. All the smoke is heading to Sacramento!

AussieChris

Sep 6, 2013
ACT Australia
Parrots
Galah
Fires in Australia also

Hello,

We are having fires, and summer is still a long way off. Around 10 years since our capital City got burnt. Hundreds of houses lost. Because a lot if the surrounding bush was burnt out, we had many new types of birds come into the suburbs. There were a number of stories that came out afterwards about how many animals survived the fires. Some areas it was so hot that roots underground burnt. Fire is a natural part of the landscape though, and many plants need it to go to seed.

In an ironic twist, in the Vic fires some years later my GF has a cousin who was fined for clearing trees around his country home. When the fires came through he was OK, but the Council burnt down.

Many people die because they don't plan, or leave too late. I don't think of myself as a negative person, but I always think about what could happen and have a plan in mind.
http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/CRB60/media/ACTfires_zpsd4c3c70b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Now here in Aus. if you are in trouble on our roads, always look for the Guide Posts that are close together. This means there is a pipe under the road, ( depending on state some may also have a coloured line around the top, and or number ) and the markers stop roadside mowers driving into the ditch. Tornado refuge ? Noticing little things like that and a few things in the car may save your skin. I always carry water, clothing and match's for Barbies. If you are trapped somewhere you may have the option to start a back-burn.

Last edited:
OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Here in northern CA we have fires every year. The fires are great for the environment, but after many years of gung-ho fire suppression and not allowing natural fires to burn we now have a tinderbox of heavy fuel. We don't get the ground clearing fires, we get raging crown fire infurnals. So far on this one we have lost 30 homes, 50 out buildings and it is only 40% contained. All that means is they have 40% fr it surrounded by either burnt areas it made itself or a fire line scratched around it.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I heard about that yesterday on the news, (I was watching CNN, and GMA).
I was trying to think of what members live in Redding California, but the name escaped me.....sorry.
I hope you and your family are ok, and good to be prepared and have an exit plan if needed.....lets hope and pray you don't need it though!!

AussieChris

Sep 6, 2013
ACT Australia
Parrots
Galah
Hello,

Same thing here. We used to have a Bushfire Council who would burn off and keep the build up down. Too long and the fires kill the trees, rather than just burn off leaves. Another problem is people that want to live amongst the trees. Out native trees are full of volatile eucalyptus oil. They make good firewood.... The trees to have around a house are deciduous English type trees. They are not as volatile, and let the sun through in winter.

I have been out on some fires, and when you walk in a distance to try and make a break you always wonder a bit about what could go wrong.

OP
ShellyBorg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
What I have ready at all times. I have a plastic kennel for all fids with two bowls and perch screwed in side. On top is a copy of their paper work and clearly labeled with there and my names and address. All but 2 of my fids have chips( will be fixing that soon). That way if I ever have to prove ownership it is cut and dry. I keep all there food and treats in a bucket that I try to keep at least 1/2 full at all times. New food goes to the bottom still in its bag until old stuff is used up. IF I have time I have 4 wire dog crates that would be loaded as temp cages until we can get home again.

Cats have the same set ups. Paper work, bowls, no perches but they do have towel hammocks in the back of then and small litter pans. The dog is a service dog and his papers are kept with mine as he would be with me at all times.

Goats have a trailer that I can load them in. I also keep a copy of shot records in it just in case.

Me and my kids have had lots of talks and we know, we grab pets first, our stuff second IF we have time. We did this a couple of years ago just to see how long it would take to "Bug Out" We had pets, goats and must haves in the truck and ready to go in less then 10 min.

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Shelley that is AWESOME!!! Coming from Southern Louisiana I thought I knew how to evacuate FAST if there was a hurricane. You have me beat by a long shot... I only have paperwork together and I already know exactly what all I will take with me.

AussieChris

Sep 6, 2013
ACT Australia
Parrots
Galah
Hello,

As a fire season approaches, it is better to have a plan if you need it. Clean your gutters, and install plugs. The US building code is different, but we all have gutters connected to either a Tank or stormwater system. If there is a concern, you can fit the plug ( above the down-pipe ) and fill the gutters with water. It will stop embers getting under the roof. In a fire prone area fit window shutters.

Scan all insurance details, and other significant paperwork. Also scan Wedding pictures, holiday, graduation and baby / child photos. Once gone, they can never be replaced. Take Pics of all your possessions, it may save arguments later with insurance. Many of us have a few collectables, even if you cant replace them you will still have Pics to remember them.

Now most People have an old person who lives alone in the street, they can die and not be found for years in some cases. Here is a chance to get to know them, most old ladies will have a China collection and Pictures of relatives who died many years ago. You can take Pictures and scan things for them, such as prescriptions and other significant things.

Most people that die in fires leave too late. If you are going to stay, make sure you are properly prepared. Water pressure will drop or fail. Same as power, if you have a pool a petrol ( gasoline ) powered pump is a better bet than electric, as when the power goes off you have nothing.

If you plan for everything, have a colour code in your house. This is where you start to get things together so you can leave, and have everything ready. Prearrange for things, when power goes so may the phones. Have a few places in mind to meet up, and copy all important things to your USB key and have another copy with a friend / relative in another city.

Most Reactions