Northern Lights

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hi! So, last night I was amazed by the northern lights caused by a geomagnetic storm and got some cool photos. So, if anyone has any photos, has seen, or anything northern lights, then hereā€™s your thread! Heck, even the southern lights are very much so allowed! I would love to see both if anyone has any photos!

Here are my photos from last night:

0B0776D5-CF0A-47E7-B498-68FC95EE055D.jpeg
3B116467-0DD6-49CD-A3FB-28EC67D3C525.jpeg
F01F2029-530C-48F3-8DCE-3BE7685B3C1B.jpeg
970DBDC5-6A2D-43CE-A310-D1EC6633D92E.jpeg
C53C6FD0-6CAF-4760-BED0-DB4C62E44DBA.jpeg
55EA2779-2463-4184-A676-E26E3BF6F62D.jpeg

This was an absolutely surreal experience and it was amazing!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Wow! Those look so cool! How often do you get to see them?
Not very often due to light pollution or crappy clouds. usually but when itā€™s a particularly dark night and thereā€™s a lot of geomagnetic activity, then thatā€™s a recipe for success! You canā€™t exactly see it in the summer though because thereā€™s 20 hours of light and it doesnā€™t exactly look very dark when the sun is down. Then we go to like 19 hours of darkness a day for like, 4 or so months and that is usually when they are most visible! Itā€™s always a treat to see them! And my best friend gets to see them on the way to school which is so cool!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Not very often due to light pollution or crappy clouds. usually but when itā€™s a particularly dark night and thereā€™s a lot of geomagnetic activity, then thatā€™s a recipe for success! You canā€™t exactly see it in the summer though because thereā€™s 20 hours of light and it doesnā€™t exactly look very dark when the sun is down. Then we go to like 19 hours of darkness a day for like, 4 or so months and that is usually when they are most visible! Itā€™s always a treat to see them! And my best friend gets to see them on the way to school which is so cool!
When I hear about the dark/light cycle in Alaska I always wonder how people sleep? I guess black out curtains on the windows?
My dad has long dreamt of going to Alaska, hopefully heā€™ll get to go one day!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
When I hear about the dark/light cycle in Alaska I always wonder how people sleep? I guess black out curtains on the windows?
Yeah, usually blackout curtains are used but I just sleep when Iā€™m tired. Whether itā€™s 8pm or 4AM, if Iā€™m tired Iā€™m going to sleep. our day/night cycle is super awesome though! Great for growing gardens in the summer, great for birdwatching, fantastic for finding insects and observing them, and great for being able to spot potential threats when out in the woods (moose are a great example). The winter however, is very scary to me because you never want to be near a moose without any protection or knowledge of it. Itā€™s so dark that you would never know a moose is there until it is too late and that is what is absolutely terrifying about it.

Hopefully your dad gets to come to alaska! Itā€™s super awesome!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Oh man, moose scare me!

I didnā€™t think about gardening, that would be fantastic!
Extra hours to see birds? Thatā€™s the best.

I hope he will get to go one day!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Your pictures are fantastic, mine have never turned out that well!
There is nothing like the Northern Lights, I'm speechless every time I get to see them.

I'm weird, I love the dark and would really love to have 20 hours of it! The daytimes would drive me insane, though.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh man, moose scare me!

I didnā€™t think about gardening, that would be fantastic!
Extra hours to see birds? Thatā€™s the best.

I hope he will get to go one day!
Yeah, itā€™s good they scare you. Iā€™m not scared if they are behind a wall but if thereā€™s no wall, you bet Iā€™m gonna be scared like I just saw a huge spider! in the winter nights, they are extra frightening. Just imagine this: you are outside in the cold, shoveling snow out of your driveway. Thereā€™s a light breeze and you canā€™t hear all that well. Your porch light illuminates your porch but not much more. You think to yourself ā€œI should be okay, what are the chances of seeing a moose?ā€ And you continue shoveling. Some time goes on and you start to feel uneasy, your mind screaming at you to turn around but each time you do, thereā€™s nothing there. You begin to ignore your thoughts and keep shoveling. Your instincts tell you to shine your phone light around and when you do, you see it. A six and a half foot tall shadow figure, hardly visible, except for its eyes reflecting the light being shined into them. You are frozen in terror as the figure approaches, getting closer, and closer, until itā€™s face is fully illuminated. Itā€™s cold stare pierces into your soul and you begin to run as fast as possible.

Thatā€™s pretty much what itā€™s like or what plays in my head in the dark of the winter nights. You never know whatā€™s there until itā€™s too late.

Itā€™s great! And the soil here is AMAZING! Fruits and berries grow wonderfully here!

Yesss you have time to see nocturnal species like owls! You may even be able to spot bats! Which arenā€™t birds but are SO cool to see! Although Iā€™ve seen one once in my life!

Yeah, me too! He will either love or hate it lol no inbetweensies

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Your pictures are fantastic, mine have never turned out that well!
There is nothing like the Northern Lights, I'm speechless every time I get to see them.

I'm weird, I love the dark and would really love to have 20 hours of it! The daytimes would drive me insane, though.
Thank you! My phone cam does GREAT with the borealisā€™ and close up shots but everything else is kinda poopy lol

There really isnā€™t! Me too! Iā€™ve only seen 2 proper borealisā€™ and both were absolutely spectacular! Itā€™s such a surreal experience and it doesnā€™t feel real.

I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s weird! Maybe against your biology but at this point, who cares? We literally live in a world where real ingredients is a marketing point and there is so much ridiculous stuff in our food, that a single warhead candy would almost definitely kill a pilgrim. I also love the night! As long as Iā€™m not outside in the winter haha but I also like my long days! Lotta sunshine to soak up with Rico!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yeah, itā€™s good they scare you. Iā€™m not scared if they are behind a wall but if thereā€™s no wall, you bet Iā€™m gonna be scared like I just saw a huge spider! in the winter nights, they are extra frightening. Just imagine this: you are outside in the cold, shoveling snow out of your driveway. Thereā€™s a light breeze and you canā€™t hear all that well. Your porch light illuminates your porch but not much more. You think to yourself ā€œI should be okay, what are the chances of seeing a moose?ā€ And you continue shoveling. Some time goes on and you start to feel uneasy, your mind screaming at you to turn around but each time you do, thereā€™s nothing there. You begin to ignore your thoughts and keep shoveling. Your instincts tell you to shine your phone light around and when you do, you see it. A six and a half foot tall shadow figure, hardly visible, except for its eyes reflecting the light being shined into them. You are frozen in terror as the figure approaches, getting closer, and closer, until itā€™s face is fully illuminated. Itā€™s cold stare pierces into your soul and you begin to run as fast as possible.

Thatā€™s pretty much what itā€™s like or what plays in my head in the dark of the winter nights. You never know whatā€™s there until itā€™s too late.

Itā€™s great! And the soil here is AMAZING! Fruits and berries grow wonderfully here!

Yesss you have time to see nocturnal species like owls! You may even be able to spot bats! Which arenā€™t birds but are SO cool to see! Although Iā€™ve seen one once in my life!

Yeah, me too! He will either love or hate it lol no inbetweensies
Hmm, sounds like a Creepypasta! I can imagine how scary that would be and Iā€™d much rather a giant spider!

I guess animals continue their natural cycles even if itā€™s light. It would be cool to watch owls in the light! Iā€™ve not seen too many owls but in the summer time bats in Texas go nuts! We like to turn the driveway light on and watch them catch the bugs. I wish I could get a pic but theyā€™re extremely fast.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi! So, last night I was amazed by the northern lights caused by a geomagnetic storm and got some cool photos. So, if anyone has any photos, has seen, or anything northern lights, then hereā€™s your thread! Heck, even the southern lights are very much so allowed! I would love to see both if anyone has any photos!

Here are my photos from last night:

View attachment 49603View attachment 49604View attachment 49605View attachment 49606View attachment 49607View attachment 49608

This was an absolutely surreal experience and it was amazing!
WOW!
Yeah, usually blackout curtains are used but I just sleep when Iā€™m tired. Whether itā€™s 8pm or 4AM, if Iā€™m tired Iā€™m going to sleep. our day/night cycle is super awesome though! Great for growing gardens in the summer, great for birdwatching, fantastic for finding insects and observing them, and great for being able to spot potential threats when out in the woods (moose are a great example). The winter however, is very scary to me because you never want to be near a moose without any protection or knowledge of it. Itā€™s so dark that you would never know a moose is there until it is too late and that is what is absolutely terrifying about it.

Hopefully your dad gets to come to alaska! Itā€™s super awesome!
I heard that a large segment of the US could see them last night but here in Maine it was pouring rain! You are so incredibly lucky!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Anyone ever see the film Insomnia with Al Pacino and Robin Williams? New York cop goes to Alaska in the summer to solve a crime but can't sleep because the sun doesn't completely set. It was a really good murder mystery but Pacino's character went crazy trying "everything" to darken his motel room like taping newspaper over the windows, etc so he could sleep, but it was so silly because I kept wanting to scream "get a sleep mask"! Good ones really do work.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hmm, sounds like a Creepypasta! I can imagine how scary that would be and Iā€™d much rather a giant spider!

I guess animals continue their natural cycles even if itā€™s light. It would be cool to watch owls in the light! Iā€™ve not seen too many owls but in the summer time bats in Texas go nuts! We like to turn the driveway light on and watch them catch the bugs. I wish I could get a pic but theyā€™re extremely fast.
I suppose it does! Itā€™s also some fantastic practice for my 2nd story šŸ‘€

Yup! Iā€™ve only seen a wild owl once and it was so awesome! It was a huge great gray owl!

Thereā€™s bats in TX?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Anyone ever see the film Insomnia with Al Pacino and Robin Williams? New York cop goes to Alaska in the summer to solve a crime but can't sleep because the sun doesn't completely set. It was a really good murder mystery but Pacino's character went crazy trying "everything" to darken his motel room like taping newspaper over the windows, etc so he could sleep, but it was so silly because I kept wanting to scream "get a sleep mask"! Good ones really do work.
I forgot those existed šŸ’€

Iā€™ve been tying my rabbit squishmallow to my head when I have migraines and canā€™t sleep šŸ˜­

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I suppose it does! Itā€™s also some fantastic practice for my 2nd story šŸ‘€

Yup! Iā€™ve only seen a wild owl once and it was so awesome! It was a huge great gray owl!

Thereā€™s bats in TX?
Oh thereā€™s bats all right! Iā€™m no expert so I canā€™t tell you what kinds but Iā€™ve looked it up out of curiosity and sites list between 6 and 20 different species that could be seen here!

Great grays are so cool! Iā€™ve seen a great horned a time or two and a spotted owl.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh thereā€™s bats all right! Iā€™m no expert so I canā€™t tell you what kinds but Iā€™ve looked it up out of curiosity and sites list between 6 and 20 different species that could be seen here!

Great grays are so cool! Iā€™ve seen a great horned a time or two and a spotted owl.
I want to hug a bat! Is that legal? Idc if I get rabies lol

6 and 20?! That is a LOT!

Ikr? Great grays are my absolute favorite owl species along with barn owls! So cute! I also want to hug the owls!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I want to hug a bat! Is that legal? Idc if I get rabies lol

6 and 20?! That is a LOT!

Ikr? Great grays are my absolute favorite owl species along with barn owls! So cute! I also want to hug the owls!
Yeah, I didnā€™t know that so many species lived here either.

Oh, barn owls are my absolute favorite! Theyā€™re just gorgeous

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Yeah, I didnā€™t know that so many species lived here either.

Oh, barn owls are my absolute favorite! Theyā€™re just gorgeous
Yeah I thought there were like maybe 5 in the US!

Yessss and they are easy enough to draw! I want to pat a barn owl on the head and give it some chicken leg!

Most Reactions