Not a cage- a room with plexiglass

mwright1972

May 28, 2014
Media
East Texas
Parrots
Bob - Umbrella Coockatoo
Marley-Sun Conure
I am giving my umbrella cockatoo (Bob) his own room in my house and I have been struggling with ideas of how to protect my house. He has been in a double macaw cage up until now- but I just can’t keep him in. He is such a smarty at getting out.
Anyway- ideas to protect the room from being “eaten”.
We are pulling all the carpet out and thinking of lining the walls with plexiglass up to 10 ft. Having jungle gym like perches spread through the room.

Does anyone have input or caution on the plexiglass?

Appreciate any input.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am giving my umbrella cockatoo (Bob) his own room in my house and I have been struggling with ideas of how to protect my house. He has been in a double macaw cage up until now- but I just can’t keep him in. He is such a smarty at getting out.
We are pulling all the carpet out and thinking of lining the walls with plexiglass up to 10 ft. Having jungle gym like perches spread through the room.

Appreciate any input.
Plexiglass is a stable material and tend to resist even a determined Too on the large flat surfaces! That said it can be snapped /cracked at its edges. As a result, protecting the edge by placing the panels tight with each other along their edges.

Mounting on walls is straight forward as one simply drill holes and using a 2" washer and screw with a drywall 'like' threads but with a flat surface head. Do not over tighten as you will strip the threads cut into the drywall.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You mean essentially making a plexiglass box? Dont forget ventilation holes, and those might be where he decides to apply "the beak".

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Appreciate any input.
This sounds like fun! After talking with my contractor husband I have some great ideas.
First remove any wallpaper and paint the room whatever color you think you can live with indefinitely because this will be a semipermanent renovation.
Remove all woodwork and window trim and either replace with Trex synthetic wood or finish the area under the woodwork with wallboard, boxing the area in and finish so it looks nice and neat.
Screwing the acrylic sheets to the wall would work but the sheets may look a bit wavy and buckled especially if they are very thin and the screws might unsightly. Thicker acrylic sheets are very expensive but they are easier to put up and have them lay flat. 3mm thick (.118 inch) 3x6 sheets are about $100 each at Lowes. Thicker sheets are much more expensive and thinner ones (2mm or .08 inch) are too thin and flexible.
Rather than screw the acrylic sheets to the walls i would use 3x6 foot 3mm thick (.118 inch thick) acrylic/plexiglass sheets and attach them to the walls using heavy duty double sided Gorilla tape all around the perimeter of each sheet. I would mount the sheets horizontally starting at a the floor wall corner, three sheets high to nine feet. If needed you can put one more strip of the tape across the middle of each sheet so it doesn't bulge in the middle. I
For best results make sure your floor is level and the corners are square so the sheets fit neatly in the corners. If the floor isn't level use the corner wall as your guide. Any gap will be at the floor where you can cover it up with a strip of synthetic wood like Trex.

If you want to give the room a natural, scenic look, find some attractive wallpaper that looks like trees, etc and install it before the acrylic sheets. If you're artistic (or have an artistic friend) paint a scenic mural on the walls first.

Most definitely get rid of any carpeting and base trim and install washable waterproof vinyl strip flooring. Your bird will quickly destroy any woodwork trim around windows and doors so remove it first and install the acrylic sheets right up to the door and window openings (after finishing the openings) and down to the floor.

All this done, you now have a bird-proof 100% washable bird room! Decorate with perches, swings and other bird toys but don't forget your own perch! A used recliner or two would be nice for you to relax and spend time with your feathered friend.

If you want an entertainment center (a big screen TV, perhaps?) you can hang one on the wall and build an acrylic front box out of Trex and mount it in front of the TV on metal brackets to protect it.
Have fun making your bird room!

TRBLMKR

Feb 4, 2023
Parrots
Galah cockatoo
Besides acrylic/plexiglass being expensive, it scratches easily. Polycarbonate/lexan is a bit more impact or scratch resistant of the two. The seams would be an issue, when using thinner material (under .25"). Acrylic and lexan chemically bond well but working with material that thin will be challenging to say the least. Normal sized room with 10ft high walls would be close to 20 sheets. $2000 in (@ $100 a sheet)and you haven't bought any fun stuff yet.

I am not saying they can't, but my 3 birds haven't damaged any sheetrock walls, yet. Baseboards, doors, window trim, chairs, end tables, not too many items are safe. It seems every fight between the wife and I these days are over house or furniture damages. My dream is to find a way to get them out of the house. They have been on the patio all summer and I love it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts